Sponsored

2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please!

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the best I can do for information. Vehicle had problems after excelerating onto the freeway. It felt as if the engine was shaking the whole vehicle when you applied any sort of pressure to the gas pedal. This happened on 12/4/21 and it is still in the shop. They have the engine in, but are waiting on a few smaller parts - gaskets and valves were mentioned by a Ford rep. Really unfortunate that this has been such a big problem after everyone talked up the 2.7L and continually said it was the better engine for the long run. I also have a 2.3L that I rent out. The 2.3L has twice as many miles and has not had a single issue to date - purchased off lot on 8/11/21.

Took delivery of 2.7L Badlands on 10/13/21
3,581 miles at time of breakdown
VIN: 1FMEE5DP3MLA85962

Screenshot_20211224-104959_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104850_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104940_FordPass.jpg

Screenshot_20211224-104919_FordPass.jpg
Excellent data... And the misfire was certainly something that I was looking for (as well as the air leak) which could be a lean misfire condition.
Sponsored

Carbon Bronco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1969 U15 Bronco New Lime 302ci
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Are we dropping the valve in the same cylinder for each failure?

69 Mach I

Big Bend
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 F-150, '87 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So finally, after 6 1/2 weeks in the dealership, they finished swapping out the engine in my Bronco. I was able to talk to the mechanic that worked on the Bronco...super nice guy that was actually kind of excited he got to swap out the engine. He did a great job getting the hood lined up straight, and I haven't found any scuffs, dings, or scratches. The interior door panel and floor mat are pretty grungy, but they should clean up okay. Of course the exterior is filthy from sitting in the shop, or outside in the weather, for this long.

Mpeugeot, I have attached a picture of the new engine build number as well as the invoice from the dealership. Based on what the mechanic told me, and what I read on this invoice......I think it's a valve issue! Hope this information helps.

Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! IMG_0004

Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! invoice 1
Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! invoice 2
Ford Bronco 2.7 engine failure tracking thread - Ford Please! invoice 3

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A replacement oil cooler for a dropped valve? Hmmm, sounds like detonation more than a dropped valve. A dropped valve would not corrupt the entire oil system... A destroyed rod bearing from detonation on the other hand... Well.

It could also be Ford just being cautious. Also, is there a separate oil cooler on the Bronco?
One picture posted here appeared to show a hole in the piston which could certainly put metal in the oil. I am very glad they're replacing the oil cooler, and I see turbos on the list below so it appears they're replacing everything in the oil circulation path. I guess a busted piston could be a dropped valve or extreme detonation so that's not conclusive but I'm glad they're replacing all those parts, even if it means waiting on them.

So finally, after 6 1/2 weeks in the dealership, they finished swapping out the engine in my Bronco. I was able to talk to the mechanic that worked on the Bronco...super nice guy that was actually kind of excited he got to swap out the engine. He did a great job getting the hood lined up straight, and I haven't found any scuffs, dings, or scratches. The interior door panel and floor mat are pretty grungy, but they should clean up okay. Of course the exterior is filthy from sitting in the shop, or outside in the weather, for this long.

Mpeugeot, I have attached a picture of the new engine build number as well as the invoice from the dealership. Based on what the mechanic told me, and what I read on this invoice......I think it's a valve issue! Hope this information helps.

It's good to see turbos on that list!

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This is the best I can do for information. Vehicle had problems after excelerating onto the freeway. It felt as if the engine was shaking the whole vehicle when you applied any sort of pressure to the gas pedal. This happened on 12/4/21 and it is still in the shop. They have the engine in, but are waiting on a few smaller parts - gaskets and valves were mentioned by a Ford rep. Really unfortunate that this has been such a big problem after everyone talked up the 2.7L and continually said it was the better engine for the long run. I also have a 2.3L that I rent out. The 2.3L has twice as many miles and has not had a single issue to date - purchased off lot on 8/11/21.

Took delivery of 2.7L Badlands on 10/13/21
3,581 miles at time of breakdown
VIN: 1FMEE5DP3MLA85962

@flip Any chance you can ascertain the build date of the engine off Hailey's VIN quoted above?

Sponsored
OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I want to know what the difference is between the 6006 engine and the 6007 engine.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've been using premium fuel since I picked up the Bronco. Don't know what was in the tank at delivery. I usually go to Exxon/Shell/BP, but sometimes hit the Wawa/Cumberland Farms/etc stops. I put the highest octane available; mostly 93.

Badlands Sasquatch Lux 4DR V6
V6 date: 21180
V6 miles: 5,817

Mostly highway miles with adaptive cruise control. I'm not afraid to let the engine idle. Some off-road, some stop and go city.

The detonation/tune theory is interesting. I've noticed in Eco and sometimes normal the transmission is slow to downshift and will lug to the point of rumbling. Once I detect that, I stop doing whatever it is I'm doing. Probably give it more throttle to get the transmission to downshift, or change to Normal (and now Sport) mode, or use the manual buttons on the shifter.

I'll pay more attention to it next time, see if I can get boost pressure or anything else relevant.

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
well, I had to check my number. I have 21267, so now I am just going to almost like expect it. The frustrating thing is this. I really pay attention to "break-in", call me old school, but never above 50% throttle first thousand miles, always varying load, gentle boost only - then increasing. Now at 1300 miles and increasing thrust, pressure and torque.

The engine runs great and has clearly increased elasticity when compared with the first 500 miles or so. In general, I don't think I will be affected, but then again, so did any of those failed so far not think it would happen.

And to those trolls that want to downplay this, listen up. It is not only that it is happening (because when you buy a $60k vehicle you simply should not have to deal with this), but mainly because @Ford is choosing to ignore us, not provide any feedback, no words of comfort like "we are monitoring the situation and will communicate with each member promptly" or anything at all for that matter. Ford has no clue how to deal with customers directly, none at all. And, we know they are watching all these threads, so don't tell me they don't see this happening.

OP
OP
mpeugeot

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Like many of the people posting, I am trying to understand why an abnormal number of engine failures seem to be occurring. Let me put this in perspective with all of the Ford apologists.

How many transmission and transfer case failures have we seen?

How many electronic control module failures have we seen?

These are equally complicated items that are not failing. Hell, we have seen 2.3 brake failures that are approaching the level of 2.7 engine fails. Hardtops maybe having problems at a higher rate, but otherwise, the Bronco has been pretty solid.

We can certainly point at a weak steering rack and tie rods as being in need of an upgrade. The M190 certainly is only capable of tolerating limited abuse, but not necessarily fragile. Obviously, the moment you put tires over 33" on the Bronco, you can overstress the M190, steering rack, and tie rods without getting too crazy.

I don't see any evidence that anyone has been overstressing the 2.7 (because it has plenty of power and there is no need to be full send with it in most situations).

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to know what the difference is between the 6006 engine and the 6007 engine.
U mean the basic #? Ford uses a couple different basic numbers for engine assy, depending on how complete they are when shipped. 6010 would be a bare longblock. Otherwise they should be the same, or a supersession

J_Dog

Base
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco Sasquatch 2.7L, 1967 Bronco 5.0L
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've been following this thread and the forum to see if any of these failures have come with warning signs. My 2.7 clatters like a diesel engine for a couple of seconds at start-up and has for almost two weeks. It has coincided with colder weather here in Georgia, but my Bronco is garage parked. It's driving fine but thanks to these posts I can't help but wonder if my engine (Julian 21175, 2200 miles) is trying to tell me something before it takes a big dump while I'm out on the road with my wife and kids.
Bro, go take that thing to the dealer.. Like yesterday.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've been following this thread and the forum to see if any of these failures have come with warning signs. My 2.7 clatters like a diesel engine for a couple of seconds at start-up and has for almost two weeks. It has coincided with colder weather here in Georgia, but my Bronco is garage parked. It's driving fine but thanks to these posts I can't help but wonder if my engine (Julian 21175, 2200 miles) is trying to tell me something before it takes a big dump while I'm out on the road with my wife and kids.
That sounds like a cam phaser. Try this: after sitting overnight, or however long it takes to make the noise, hold the gas pedal to the floor (all the way) and crank it for a few seconds. Holding the gas to the floor should put it in "clear flood" mode and prevent it from starting. Then after cranking key off, release the gas, and start. If it starts quietly its a phaser.

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Inernational_George
Failed 12/24 after leisurely freeway drive home. Probably in 4A due to inclement weather. Would not crank on next attempt 2 days later. Towed to dealer 12/29.

Blend date 7/12
Failed Part Number: MB3E-6007-AA
Engine Julian Date: 21XXX (at the shop)
Engine Sequence Number:
Mileage of failed motor: 1795
Cause of failure: Valve (according to dealer)
Replacement Part Number: TBD
New Engine Julian Date: TBD
New Engine Sequence Number: TBD

Will update when I get the relevant numbers.
Sponsored