First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think it's just that little factoid that leaves some blanks in all this.

If ford does a factory fill of 7.5 but tells us to only put in 6 then there are 3 possibilities:

1) 1.5 quarts remain in the engine between oil changes

2) it really is supposed to be 7 but for some reason Ford decided to claim 6 (having .5 quarts left during oil changes makes way more sense)

3) There is some reason that overfilling the oil beyond the max line "for the first time" does something?

I think that the debate itself is long over... At this point is just more of a curiosity as to why the inconsistency of 1.5 quarts?

Just to add...built end of August 2022 and the scribe line is where my oil is at.

20230103_121342.jpg
There are other possibilities...the most plausible being that the "factory oil fill" was the target at the time Ford thought their oil pan was "7 quarts." It has taken nearly 2 years for Ford to realize that the pan is actually less capacity than the F150 pan (or at least to DO something about it), and finally the owner's manuals and SSM addressed it. Clearly the "factory oil fill" is slowly being adjusted, because many owners who have the newest builds have shared that their Broncos are arriving with their oil level at or slightly below the full line. Although that could have been adjusted at PDI, it is more likely that Ford is shifting to a 6.5 fill. They are still obviously working out the kinks, because although a sentence in the SSM (note that 99% of owners have zero idea of what an SSM is) states "7 quarts won't harm the engine," the FIRST sentence stated that 6 is the correct capacity...and the newest stick (which matches the first iteration of sticks) is correctly scribed for 6 quarts), and the owner's manual states 6 quarts (and stresses that the oil level should NOT go above the max mark...yet that is exactly what everyone who scribes their sticks at 7 quarts is doing). I am just baffled that some folks are ignoring everything EXCEPT the "7 quarts won't harm the engine" line but ignoring EVERYTHING else that Ford, the manufacturer of their vehicle, has released since then? Especially knowing that the pan holds LESS oil than the F150 pan for the same engine? For those who get their oil changes at Ford, or most other places, the techs will go by the most recent capacity info...so if you like doing your own oil changes or you want to carry/add that extra quart just...because...ok then! But scribing your own (correct) stick simply to match whatever amount someone on an assembly line hastily put in your engine, despite Ford clearly indicating that 6 quarts is the correct capacity, seems unnecessary (buy a Raptor stick if you want to avoid the hassle of scribing...but at least start with a drain and fill do you aren't simply going off whatever someone else added). Here is yet another source indicating that 6 is correct:

Screenshot_20230103_163007_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg

cowman

Outer Banks
First Name
cowman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I did an oil change at 1000 miles, let the oil drain for a good 30+ minutes until it barely was dripping out, 6 quarts came out (filled exactly 6 quarts of empty bottles) and 6 quarts went in and the line was right in the half way mark on the dip stick after priming the engine and letting it idle a bit and then checked right away and after 10 minutes and still in the hash marks.

Youll never get every drop of oil out of the lines.

Its 6 quarts, why is this still a topic? Drop it already
Every time I change mine 7 goes in and 7 come out....

Baja71

Badlands
First Name
tw
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 Stroppe Baja Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My 2023 2.7 December build factory fill (450 mi) measures right on the second dipstick hole after being warmed up and let sit about 20 mins. H stick.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
and I bet if you put in 10quarts then 10 quarts would come out.

if Ford removed the initial fill amount then no one would have an issue.

Every time I change mine 7 goes in and 7 come out....

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Oil is very expensive. I find it baffling that factory workers are allegedly "overfilling" by a quart after all this time and discussion about initial fill and service fill. Unless somehow this engine retains 1.5 quarts of oil after draining. Ford cut corners on crappy plastic interior trim and other parts. They'd certainly skimp on the initial oil fill if they could.

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
There are other possibilities...the most plausible being that the "factory oil fill" was the target at the time Ford thought their oil pan was "7 quarts." It has taken nearly 2 years for Ford to realize that the pan is actually less capacity than the F150 pan (or at least to DO something about it), and finally the owner's manuals and SSM addressed it. Clearly the "factory oil fill" is slowly being adjusted, because many owners who have the newest builds have shared that their Broncos are arriving with their oil level at or slightly below the full line. Although that could have been adjusted at PDI, it is more likely that Ford is shifting to a 6.5 fill. They are still obviously working out the kinks, because although a sentence in the SSM (note that 99% of owners have zero idea of what an SSM is) states "7 quarts won't harm the engine," the FIRST sentence stated that 6 is the correct capacity...and the newest stick (which matches the first iteration of sticks) is correctly scribed for 6 quarts), and the owner's manual states 6 quarts (and stresses that the oil level should NOT go above the max mark...yet that is exactly what everyone who scribes their sticks at 7 quarts is doing). I am just baffled that some folks are ignoring everything EXCEPT the "7 quarts won't harm the engine" line but ignoring EVERYTHING else that Ford, the manufacturer of their vehicle, has released since then? Especially knowing that the pan holds LESS oil than the F150 pan for the same engine? For those who get their oil changes at Ford, or most other places, the techs will go by the most recent capacity info...so if you like doing your own oil changes or you want to carry/add that extra quart just...because...ok then! But scribing your own (correct) stick simply to match whatever amount someone on an assembly line hastily put in your engine, despite Ford clearly indicating that 6 quarts is the correct capacity, seems unnecessary (buy a Raptor stick if you want to avoid the hassle of scribing...but at least start with a drain and fill do you aren't simply going off whatever someone else added). Here is yet another source indicating that 6 is correct:

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Pan Capacity Answered Screenshot_20230103_163007_Acrobat for Samsun
Sell me your BRaptor dipstick? 😀

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'd still like an explanation how 1.5 quarts of oil remains in an engine after draining, if the factory fill is 7.5 quarts and refill is 6 quarts. That's a lot of oil remaining in the engine.

I've yet to hear a good explanation for that one!
Turbos and associated plumbing?

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
after priming the engine and letting it idle a bit and then checked right away and after 10 minutes and still in the hash marks.
How do you “prime” the Bronco 2.7? Thx

Ducati1098

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Wildtrak, 2012 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

if Ford removed the initial fill amount then no one would have an issue.
God I hope they don’t do that.
That would just start a bunch of new conspiracies 🙄
We don’t need anymore threads like this 😂

Sponsored

2023bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you “prime” the Bronco 2.7? Thx
Brake and gas pedals to the floor, then crank.

The only problem is, Ford didn't give us an oil PRESSURE gauge, so it's difficult to know how long it takes to build pressure and get oil distributed throughout the motor. The oil TEMP gauge is far less helpful IMHO.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can have it! If you are ever in the Ventura area stop by.
Hey Neighbor. How's life in the Park? :cool:
I'll drop mine off & he can pick 2 of them up :sneaky: