Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since I have seen the question of what is the capacity of the pan and I now have in my possession a 2.7 defective pan (or if you listen to my dealer a pan I broke) I decide to add to the great Bronco6g debate. The following is none scientific measurements using the wife's measuring cups and a ruler. Pan was leveled prior to filling. I am sure this will do nothing to solve the debate and both sides will use the information to bolster their side of the argument. Just doing my part to further the divide!

7 quarts put the level to approximately 1/4 inch below the top edge.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Pan Capacity Answered tempImage19myt3

6 quarts put the level to approximately 5/8 inch below the top edge.
Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Pan Capacity Answered tempImageEDD7PI
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So its getting fixed(not under warranty)? i couldn't keep the pan that came off mine because it was a warranty issue. Ive had it back almost a week and no issues so far

OP
OP

Yukon65006

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
09 Jeep Patriot, 06 BMW F650GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So its getting fixed(not under warranty)? i couldn't keep the pan that came off mine because it was a warranty issue. Ive had it back almost a week and no issues so far
It is back in my garage as of 2 days ago and my wallet is almost 2k lighter. They did give a little push back on giving me the pan but I paid for both! This one will get bolted to the wall or ceiling in the garage at some point.

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is back in my garage as of 2 days ago and my wallet is almost 2k lighter. They did give a little push back on giving me the pan but I paid for both! This one will get bolted to the wall or ceiling in the garage at some point.
man i'm so flippin glad mine was covered. $2k is nuts

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

First, they had no right to the old parts if you paid out of pocket. Curious as to what grounds they even pushed back on?

second, this is awesome. Need to post or link this to the great 6/7 qt thread.

I would think the 1 qt different would cause more than just a 3/8 difference but being its widest at the top I get it.

Definitely appears to be a 7 qt pan...even would hold that infamous 7.5 fill from the factory.

Sponsored

M4Madness

Base
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Bronco had 6 quarts in it when I picked it up brand new at the dealership a few weeks ago. Did it ship with 6 quarts, or did the dealership drain off a quart? You decide...

0ne

Base
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Flex
Your Bronco Model
Base
Turbo system holds/retains an unknown amount, probably half a quart it seems. I’m sold on 7-7.5qt, when running there’s even less in there so I don’t see a windage issue.

tsielski

Black Diamond
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 2020 Range Rover Velar SV R
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Been doing my own oil changes since Nixon was in the WH. Yeah, I"m that old, but this thread gave me a litte pause. So for the first oil change on the Bronco, took it in to the dealer thinking that IF my pan turned out to be defective, much rather have Ford pay to replace it than paying myself. As it turned out, no issues, so all subsequent changes will be done personally. The 5/8" difference in fluid level between 6 and 7 quarts tho is interesting, but IMO not of much use as a data point unless one could see how far below the pan's mating surface, if at all, the crankshaft throws or counterweights passed during its rotation, or if there is a windage tray used in the engine. The vehicle would have to be at considerably more than a 45 degree angle for oil starvation issues in either case. For what it's worth, the dealer put 6 quarts of new oil in after draining the old oil per the receipt.

broncorik

Badlands
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Since I have seen the question of what is the capacity of the pan and I now have in my possession a 2.7 defective pan (or if you listen to my dealer a pan I broke) I decide to add to the great Bronco6g debate. The following is none scientific measurements using the wife's measuring cups and a ruler. Pan was leveled prior to filling. I am sure this will do nothing to solve the debate and both sides will use the information to bolster their side of the argument. Just doing my part to further the divide!

7 quarts put the level to approximately 1/4 inch below the top edge.

6 quarts put the level to approximately 5/8 inch below the top edge.
Thanks for doing that! Now all we need to do is find somebody with an F-150 pan with 2.7 and do the same measurement and that will be the answer...It isn't about how much oil the pan will fit it's about how high the oil level is supposed to be when it's at the proper level (in relation to the top of the rail). Does anyone have a spare F-150 pan laying around?

Sponsored

El Diablo

Badlands
First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tesla Model 3 and 2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been doing my own oil changes since Nixon was in the WH. Yeah, I"m that old, but this thread gave me a litte pause. So for the first oil change on the Bronco, took it in to the dealer thinking that IF my pan turned out to be defective, much rather have Ford pay to replace it than paying myself. As it turned out, no issues, so all subsequent changes will be done personally. The 5/8" difference in fluid level between 6 and 7 quarts tho is interesting, but IMO not of much use as a data point unless one could see how far below the pan's mating surface, if at all, the crankshaft throws or counterweights passed during its rotation, or if there is a windage tray used in the engine. The vehicle would have to be at considerably more than a 45 degree angle for oil starvation issues in either case. For what it's worth, the dealer put 6 quarts of new oil in after draining the old oil per the receipt.
I scribed my H stick when I received my Bronco from the dealer (1/4" over max line) and intend to fill to that level at each subsequent oil change which will undoubtedly be close to 7 quarts. My logic is: If I fill with 6 and then say I am quart low after a few thousand miles then it is possible to experience oil starvation at high angles. Wondered why Ford is still filling them with 7.5 quarts from the factory and now we are closer to knowing why.

Murraydog11

Outer Banks
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2Dr Outer Banks, Jeep Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Had my oil changed at the dealer this past Sat. The service manager gave me this spec sheet. FWIW.

Ford Bronco 2.7 Oil Pan Capacity Answered scan

ColeTrain84

Badlands
First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs