Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco, 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As much as I agree with you that in general, it's would be difficult to make anything as complex as the new Bronco reliable, and that my individual case says nothing about fleet reliability. My individual Bronco has been reliable for the first 9,000 miles and I really don't have any problems at this point. That said, watch my engine (21180xxxxxx) blow up tomorrow.

Screenshot_20220227-214920_FordPass.jpg

Maybe it's because I never got any Ford Points?
LOLā€¦call FordPass Rewards Center at 1-833-385-0516. They ā€œfoundā€ mine after verifying my purchase and I had them 5 mins later.
Sponsored

1975U15

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, Ford's engine problems are not with our 2.7's alone. The crankshaft on the Ford Escape Hybrids were manufactured incorrectly. Huh? Yes! Really.

Ford is recalling the Ford Escape, and I found the list Ford Authority posted on their website this morning along with this story to be of interest to the rest of us for what to do when/if we have issues with a Ford vehicle. This info is specific to the Hybrid Recall but the info is still the same.

Will Ford ever do this for Bronco owners? See article link below:

"Owners should: wait for communications from Ford, which will begin on March 2nd, 2022. The Ford reference number for this recall is 22S10."

Contacts:

• Ford Customer Service: 1-866-436-7332
  • FoMoCo Recall Number: 21S46
  • NHTSA Toll-Free: 1-888-327-4236
  • NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153
  • NHTSA Website: www.safecar.gov
https://fordauthority.com/2022/03/2021-ford-escape-hybrid-recalled-over-engine-crankshaft-issue/

First Edit:
So, the cranks were improperly polished due to a faulty emory lapping tape breakage. The below article sites 25 defective cranks.

When you read the below article, notice how quickly Ford acted on tracking the defective parts, and the steps they are taking for a small number of out of spec parts. It seems the article got the dates wrong because the plant contacted the "Critical Concern Review Group" on Feb 10, for a problem that won't happen until Feb 22 and 23. Huh? Anyway, February is still just a month away, and Ford announced they will notify owners starting today. In comparison, how many bad valves were installed in 2.7 EcoBoost engines that Ford knew about and just sent them out. Most were last summer and still no official response from Ford. No letters of recall being sent out to affected Bronco owners.

I think this is UNACCEPTABLE.

See link:https://www.autoevolution.com/news/...correctly-manufactured-crankshaft-182969.html

"On February 10th, the Chihuahua Engine Plant in Mexico contacted the Critical Concern Review Group about a concern affecting the 2.5-liter powertrain of the Escape Hybrid. This engine is running the Atkinson cycle, which is more fuel efficient than the Otto cycle of most other powertrains.

Subsequent investigation revealed that Chihuahua produced 25 faulty crankshafts between February 22nd and February 23rd, 2021. Ford notes theā€œout of specification surface finish on the connecting rod journal due to an emery lapping tape breakage that resulted in incomplete polishing.ā€ Adding insult to injury, these crankshafts were not contained at the Mexican plant.

Ford also highlights that all 25 suspect cranks were included in a pallet of 200 parts that was forwarded to the assembly area. Records indicate these crankshafts may have been installed in 199 suspect engines that were traced to 204 Escape Hybrid vehicles produced at the Louisville Assembly Plant in Kentucky. Of those, 163 were delivered to customers in the U.S. of A.

The Dearborn-based automakerā€™s database identified no fewer than 15 warranty claims for engine replacement, including one report of stalling while driving due to connecting rod bearing failure. Not surprising anyone, all 15 failed engines feature crankshafts from the aforementioned batch.

Ford, therefore, approved a field action that covers a grand total of 155 vehicles in the United States of America. These hybrid-powered Escapes were produced between April 6th, 2021 and May 17th, 2021. In the worst-case scenario, a broken connecting rod may punch the 2.5-liter engineā€™s block, leading to significant oil loss, therefore increasing the risk of fire."
Amazing. Itā€™s an Escape šŸ˜‚ Iā€™d get ford prioritizing the F series given itā€™s the cash cow.

Ford also issued a recall recently for a fuzzy image display with the rear back up camera on the Mach E. Doesnā€™t seem as critical as bad valves leading to RUDs.

My super duty has had more recalls than I can remember. From tailgate issues to seatbelt and locks latches freezing to name a few. Some safety related some not so much.

Donā€™t know what it is about the Bronco but they donā€™t want to acknowledge this issue. Would seem with demand and marketing equity at this point itā€™s not a big deal from a publicity standpoint. Soā€¦ā€¦leaves me to conclude its all about the Benjimans and the bean counters have wonā€¦so far.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Been using tap water in my vehicle and tractors for over 50 yearsā€¦. Never had to have a radiator cleaned out
Amazing. Itā€™s an Escape šŸ˜‚ Iā€™d get ford prioritizing the F series given itā€™s the cash cow.

Ford also issued a recall recently for a fuzzy image display with the rear back up camera on the Mach E. Doesnā€™t seem as critical as bad valves leading to RUDs.

My super duty has had more recalls than I can remember. From tailgate issues to seatbelt and locks latches freezing to name a few. Some safety related some not so much.

Donā€™t know what it is about the Bronco but they donā€™t want to acknowledge this issue. Would seem with demand and marketing equity at this point itā€™s not a big deal from a publicity standpoint. Soā€¦ā€¦leaves me to conclude its all about the Benjimans and the bean counters have wonā€¦so far.
Guessing that will also lead to the end of producing the Bronco at all in the future.

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

All those recalls and you still want to buy another Ford. :unsure:

tenor.gif

Reactions: jon

Sponsored

KrazeeEyezKilla

First Edition
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Edition
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Well, here's an update to my first post about the blown engine on 2/14. The new engine arrived on Monday and the dealership was supposed to begin working on it this week. However, they are still waiting on a new fuel pump and trying to expedite delivery. It's supposed to arrive by 3/9. (Not sure if anyone else with a blown engine also needed a fuel pump, but that's what Ford told the dealership to do when they reported the issue.)

CA_Badlands

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, here's an update to my first post about the blown engine on 2/14. The new engine arrived on Monday and the dealership was supposed to begin working on it this week. However, they are still waiting on a new fuel pump and trying to expedite delivery. It's supposed to arrive by 3/9. (Not sure if anyone else with a blown engine also needed a fuel pump, but that's what Ford told the dealership to do when they reported the issue.)
I'm still waiting on my replacement engine but was told today that I also need a new torque inverter that is backordered until 3/26. Nothing about a fuel pump, but wouldn't be surprised by more notifications coming. Looks like I get to drive this loaner Bronco that much longer.

69-300

Black Diamond
First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I'm still waiting on my replacement engine but was told today that I also need a new torque inverter that is backordered until 3/26. Nothing about a fuel pump, but wouldn't be surprised by more notifications coming. Looks like I get to drive this loaner Bronco that much longer.
Well you are very lucky to have a Bronco loaner. I have nothing (well an offer for me to float a rental). My 1/8 blown engine just received the engine last week. The car has yet to go into the shop as they are short mechanics. And of course, not sure what else they may need so don't really have an ETA.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well you are very lucky to have a Bronco loaner. I have nothing (well an offer for me to float a rental). My 1/8 blown engine just received the engine last week. The car has yet to go into the shop as they are short mechanics. And of course, not sure what else they may need so don't really have an ETA.
As sad as blowing an engine is, I wish I could have gotten something. Still waiting

Sponsored

Kess

Outer Banks
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I created an account just to add my 2.7 to the list. My Bronco left me stranded Monday night. I had it towed to the dealership and they were finally able to look at it on Friday and confirmed the engine had dropped piston #1 and the engine would need to be replaced.

I had opened a case with Ford the day before, and about 30 minutes after receiving the bad news, my dedicated Ford rep for the case called with none of this information. After passing the diagnosis to him and then being asked what I needed from them, I requested a buyback at at least full sticker. For now, Ford is at least paying for a rental.

I had planned on owning the Bronco longterm, but after the nightmare of the 15 month wait for my vehicle and now an almost instant engine bomb, I have no interest in ever owning a Ford product again. First and last purchase of a Ford. First American vehicle too, and I'll never buy another.

I don't have a photo of the engine sticker, but my 2.7 was built the first week of August and had less than 1700 miles.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I created an account just to add my 2.7 to the list. My Bronco left me stranded Monday night. I had it towed to the dealership and they were finally able to look at it on Friday and confirmed the engine had dropped piston #1 and the engine would need to be replaced.

I had opened a case with Ford the day before, and about 30 minutes after receiving the bad news, my dedicated Ford rep for the case called with none of this information. After passing the diagnosis to him and then being asked what I needed from them, I requested a buyback at at least full sticker. For now, Ford is at least paying for a rental.

I had planned on owning the Bronco longterm, but after the nightmare of the 15 month wait for my vehicle and now an almost instant engine bomb, I have no interest in ever owning a Ford product again. First and last purchase of a Ford. First American vehicle too, and I'll never buy another.

I don't have a photo of the engine sticker, but my 2.7 was built the first week of August and had less than 1700 miles.
Very sorry to hear this Patrick. Even if Ford doesn't offer the buy back per your request, you should be able to sale it once it's repaired at sticker (maybe even above) as they are still in hot commodity.

If you don't mind please DM @Lucchese with your VIN as he can be able to pull up the exact engine build date from that which will really help his data sets.

Again, very sorry to hear about this and it leaving a bad taste in your month with Ford products (rightfully so I might add).

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
ā€¦ After passing the diagnosis to him and then being asked what I needed from them, I requested a buyback at at least full sticker. For now, Ford is at least paying for a rental.

I am very sorry to read this post. Ford has with out any doubt failed you. They had a great product in the new Bronco, but sadly, they may blow it by not being proactive with the engine failures. Perhaps they will have another Pinto on their hands. It is their choice for sure.

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Very sorry to hear this Patrick. Even if Ford doesn't offer the buy back per your request, you should be able to sale it once it's repaired at sticker (maybe even above) as they are still in hot commodity.
Seriously? I would not pay sticker, certainly not above sticker for a Bronco with a new engine. But maybe that us just me.

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seriously? I certainly would not pay sticker, certainly not above sticker for a Bronco with a new engine. But maybe that us just me.
I thought I heard someone say that it new engines don't go against the value but I could be wrong.
Sponsored