First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Only one blown engine in the last few weeks, seems strange. I would have expected the trend of the worst months to continue, what with all of the miles being driven on the hot zone vehicles.
Any updates from Ford?
Sponsored

johngray95762

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX70
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Looks like we may be another casualty. I say maybe, because we are waiting on the dealership to get to diagnosing it; they said it would likely take 5 days to get to it. My wife left last Thursday in our Outer Banks and called me 10 minutes later to let me know the engine “blew up”, smoke everywhere, and she ended up in the middle lane of a very busy road in rush hour. Dangerous section of road and worse that she was stuck in the suicide lane. Several guys pulled over and helped her out. She said there was smoke everywhere even after she stopped. Not sure if this is consistent with a dropped valve?
I took her our old Infiniti and called AAA who towed the vehicle and me to the dealership. It was dead; would not start.
I called the dealership the next morning and the service rep was good - offered a loaner and I told him that I needed a decent size vehicle because I am 6’ 5’’. I ended up getting a Tacoma which I am pretty impressed with - hauled two loads of crap to the dump on Saturday!
But my wife was really shaken up by the experience and does not want the vehicle. If it does need a new motor what are my options? I saw mention of buy back but don’t have time to search through 235 pages of comments. If I can keep the loaner Tacoma I am happy with that but I also want to sell the vehicle. The dealership charged me $10k over sticker when I picked it up in late August. I will be really unhappy if I end up losing a bunch. The idea was to buy a new vehicle prior to me retiring - I’ve decided not to retire for a couple more years due to inflation but losing money on a vehicle is not good. Certainly appreciate this forum and everyone on here!

Lucky Nut

First Edition
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Looks like we may be another casualty. I say maybe, because we are waiting on the dealership to get to diagnosing it; they said it would likely take 5 days to get to it. My wife left last Thursday in our Outer Banks and called me 10 minutes later to let me know the engine “blew up”, smoke everywhere, and she ended up in the middle lane of a very busy road in rush hour. Dangerous section of road and worse that she was stuck in the suicide lane. Several guys pulled over and helped her out. She said there was smoke everywhere even after she stopped. Not sure if this is consistent with a dropped valve?
I took her our old Infiniti and called AAA who towed the vehicle and me to the dealership. It was dead; would not start.
I called the dealership the next morning and the service rep was good - offered a loaner and I told him that I needed a decent size vehicle because I am 6’ 5’’. I ended up getting a Tacoma which I am pretty impressed with - hauled two loads of crap to the dump on Saturday!
But my wife was really shaken up by the experience and does not want the vehicle. If it does need a new motor what are my options? I saw mention of buy back but don’t have time to search through 235 pages of comments. If I can keep the loaner Tacoma I am happy with that but I also want to sell the vehicle. The dealership charged me $10k over sticker when I picked it up in late August. I will be really unhappy if I end up losing a bunch. The idea was to buy a new vehicle prior to me retiring - I’ve decided not to retire for a couple more years due to inflation but losing money on a vehicle is not good. Certainly appreciate this forum and everyone on here!
It depends on your state’s lemon laws. Most seem to be that if the vehicle is in the shop for more than 30 days in the first year or so it can trigger lemon law buy-back. Not sure if that would be for what you paid or for MSRP. Good luck. Sucks about your Bronco. Sure sounds like a blown engine. Do you have the engine info described in the first post in this thread? It helps us to keep track of all the failures. Also, you should file a report with the NTSB. That is what really puts heat on Ford to possibly trigger a recall.

johngray95762

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX70
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It depends on your state’s lemon laws. Most seem to be that if the vehicle is in the shop for more than 30 days in the first year or so it can trigger lemon law buy-back. Not sure if that would be for what you paid or for MSRP. Good luck. Sucks about your Bronco. Sure sounds like a blown engine. Do you have the engine info described in the first post in this thread? It helps us to keep track of all the failures. Also, you should file a report with the NTSB. That is what really puts heat on Ford to possibly trigger a recall.
Once the dealership diagnoses if it is indeed a blown engine I will file all the paperwork. I live in California. Future Ford of Sacramento is my dealership. So far they have been good; sent an Uber to take me down there and got me a loaner. I’ll let you know once I hear from them.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am so sorry to hear about that!

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I am so sorry to hear about that!
Once the dealership diagnoses if it is indeed a blown engine I will file all the paperwork. I live in California. Future Ford of Sacramento is my dealership. So far they have been good; sent an Uber to take me down there and got me a loaner. I’ll let you know once I hear from them.
I know the feeling. Often when folks get their vehicle stolen or vandalized they can't drive it without thinking back to bad times or events. Best of luck to you and your wife. I can't imagine blowing up in a brand new vehicle on the freeway during rush hour, that much have been tramatic.

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sorry to hear. Glad your wife made it out ok! That’s the nightmare scenario we’ve discussed with the “fans of Ford” crowd who believe a blown engine is just a warranty issue. It can be a safety issue in the right circumstance and your wife was nearly that. Hopefully you can get a quick resolution.

Jon_MothaFkn_Adams

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer ST, 2021 BadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks like your lemon law is the standard one. 30 business days. It does state that the "purchase price" will be refunded.
https://www.dca.ca.gov/acp/pdf_files/lemonlaw_qa.pdf

johngray95762

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti QX70
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The dealership called my wife today to tell her that it is a blown motor. They are contacting Ford. They said it will not be a quick process. I’m traveling and will follow up more when I get home. I will file the federal report. I did call Enterprise to make sure they know we will have Tacoma for months.

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The dealership called my wife today to tell her that it is a blown motor. They are contacting Ford. They said it will not be a quick process. I’m traveling and will follow up more when I get home. I will file the federal report. I did call Enterprise to make sure they know we will have Tacoma for months.

I am truly sorry and I can understand the negative feelings about the vehicle. Have they connected you with a Ford Customer Service Rep? If not, make that phone call. I am truly overjoyed that they made the effort to be sure you have a loaner! That makes a huge difference.

The community on this page and this thread in particular have been extremely helpful.

(And I do get not wanting the car anymore. I have very mixed feelings. I love the Bronco and have waited for one for YEARS! --- My husband and I have tracked the new release since it was just a whisper of a possibility. My experience with Ford is soured, but I'm not letting go of my Bronco. We each have our limits and our vehicles become a major part of our life - I hope your wife finds what makes her feel safe and comfortable driving.)

Sponsored

Pkrpro19

Badlands
First Name
Jaxon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5 M Sport, Mercedes Benz E350, Bronco Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I know that I've seen a few posts in FB groups of 2.7 failures. Because of privacy concerns, many of the FB groups admins have made the groups private so there is no way to share the information. If you share a link, it just takes you to the groups splash page asking you to join. I could screen shot the posts, but that seems to be more work only for the Ford Apologists to shout down any fault that is mentioned.

Received Aug 7, 2021.... 12,300+ miles and no issues so far on my 2.7L

jeremy.wilson237

Big Bend
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Ford Super duty, Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

It took almost 4 months for Ford to contact us about buying it back. They offered to buy it back for what we paid for it and what we were out for the payments made. With the part shortages I'm not sure how well the lemon law will work. There is a clause in there that talks about things out of the dealerships control. As long as the dealer is making attempts to repair but cant because of no parts available I think they will be in the clear.

Good luck, I don't wish this on anyone.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Any idea of how many miles, motor date, etc. I am in the window but still haven't managed to get the motor to shed its mortal coil... It sucks to just not trust it (even at 19k miles). I am telling myself that I will just accept that it's trustworthy at 20k (at first I said 5k, then 10k, but really still don't trust it).

OP
OP
Lucchese

Lucchese

Black Diamond
First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Black Diamond, '90 4Runner, + bikes
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Update - today two more engine build-dates in opening post
- both are Julian 193
- middle of prior ' clear gap ' range, which now looks doubtful

line# 46) - 21193 - (12 July) . . . owner @FB shared VIN#
line# 47) - 21193 - (12 July) . . . posted B6g Monday

Now 38 w Julian date info
- 35 are within ' 2-month Containment ' range - updated below
- the other two graphs will be updated soon

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] Blown 2.7 ebds 2mo - 2022.May.11
Sponsored