First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Had you been somewhere really cold, and were not able find shelter as you did, your failure may have resulted in a bad situation.

This ☝was a very real concern of mine. Where I live -30s are a reality. No cell service in spots is a reality. And my engine failed the day after I got home from a Fairbanks to Anchorage and back trip via the Parks Highway. (Absolutely spotty cell service, bad weather, etc.). We ended up not driving the Bronco for that trip because we needed more space. This is why I consider myself extremely grateful to have had the failure happen in town and close to home.
Sponsored

JPye

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This ☝was a very real concern of mine. Where I live -30s are a reality. No cell service in spots is a reality. And my engine failed the day after I got home from a Fairbanks to Anchorage and back trip via the Parks Highway. (Absolutely spotty cell service, bad weather, etc.). We ended up not driving the Bronco for that trip because we needed more space. This is why I consider myself extremely grateful to have had the failure happen in town and close to home.
I have experienced-30F every winter here in Alberta Canada, and I have worked where the temp dipped below -40F for more than a week. I am not sure Ford executives know what this is like, but I post a report by someone who lives in the UP to illustrate that it gets this cold in Michigan too.

Charles, Upper Michigan, 1995-96
I lived in upper Michigan during the winter of 1995/96. I had experienced cold temperatures before, but nothing like that. I believe that year all of the Great Lakes froze over, our temperatures were getting down towards the -50s, dangerously close to an all-time record low for Michigan. That same year, a place called Tower, Minnesota, bottomed out at -60! During that cold spell, one day I went outside but I was not properly bundled up around the head and left my ears exposed. When I came back inside I had developed an advanced case of frostbite. My ear lobes were actually starting to turn a bluish black. I should have been going to a hospital, but never did. My head hurt and I did not feel well for a few days and for a while, my ears were itching as if they were bit by a mosquito. I did not realize what type of danger I put myself in back then. When the weather forecast calls for cold temperatures, be prepared. But in extreme conditions, such as a cold snap that may occur once in a generation, heed its advice. -30s, -40s, and below is a different kind of cold than when it’s in the teens. It’s the kind of cold that can kill you.

Math4Fun77

First Edition
First Name
Nate & Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco-14 VW Jetta-04 Honda Pilot-71 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I have experienced-30F every winter here in Alberta Canada, and I have worked where the temp dipped below -40F for more than a week. I am not sure Ford executives know what this is like, but I post a report by someone who lives in the UP to illustrate that it gets this cold in Michigan too.

Charles, Upper Michigan, 1995-96
I lived in upper Michigan during the winter of 1995/96. I had experienced cold temperatures before, but nothing like that. I believe that year all of the Great Lakes froze over, our temperatures were getting down towards the -50s, dangerously close to an all-time record low for Michigan. That same year, a place called Tower, Minnesota, bottomed out at -60! During that cold spell, one day I went outside but I was not properly bundled up around the head and left my ears exposed. When I came back inside I had developed an advanced case of frostbite. My ear lobes were actually starting to turn a bluish black. I should have been going to a hospital, but never did. My head hurt and I did not feel well for a few days and for a while, my ears were itching as if they were bit by a mosquito. I did not realize what type of danger I put myself in back then. When the weather forecast calls for cold temperatures, be prepared. But in extreme conditions, such as a cold snap that may occur once in a generation, heed its advice. -30s, -40s, and below is a different kind of cold than when it’s in the teens. It’s the kind of cold that can kill you.

Yup.

We get down to -60s as well. But those don't typically last that long. But we can sustain the -30s/-40s for quite some time.

I don't think MOST car companies *get* it -- especially when electronic components start to fail and the fevered push towards electric cars. I know a lot of people that think they're great but you won't get far when the cold zaps the battery, you go to work and can't plug in, or even the grocery store .....🙄. But that's a whole separate can of worms I suppose.....

Snowdogyyz

Badlands
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yup.

We get down to -60s as well. But those don't typically last that long. But we can sustain the -30s/-40s for quite some time.

I don't think MOST car companies *get* it -- especially when electronic components start to fail and the fevered push towards electric cars. I know a lot of people that think they're great but you won't get far when the cold zaps the battery, you go to work and can't plug in, or even the grocery store .....🙄. But that's a whole separate can of worms I suppose.....
The way I see it is- let those folks learn the hard way. I’ll wave at them as I drive past in my “gas guzzler”.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It sure is good to not hear about many more failures. Not to take away from the ones that have already failed, I am sorry. But I really like seeing not too many failures

Sponsored

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I am actually looking at building a Factory Five Racing Daytona and will need a pickup to carry engines, diffs, etc. I also have a 2021 Vette - so I am more of a car guy. I have a 302 ready for the Daytona and am working on a friend to give me his TKO transmission when he puts in a TKX. So getting the money back from Ford would sponsor this project!
Looking forward to seeing this.
That Daytona Coupe is legit.
It's been calling my name for many years.
One of those "one day" projects.
Congrats!

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Projects are a lot of fun! I would love to see someone put in a Coyote into the Bronco. Maybe even a 5.2 from Shelby or something

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If I were you with a 174, I would get out and drive it around civilization to get some miles on the odometer. If you are able to reach 5,000 miles and have an oil change with no excess metal in the folds of the filter, and you can be certain they used 7 qts of oil, not 6 qts, then relax a bit.
Most owners probably run with ~6 qts (before adding oil between changes) because Ford has not notified anyone about the dipstick issue.

pakrat

Badlands
First Name
JG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner-F250-Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Cbiggs

Badlands
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
85 CJ, 94 YJ, 04 JK, 17 Taco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well Scotty Kilmer has put the issue front and center of his YouTube channel. He was pretty positive about the Bronco until now. With over 5 million subscribers probably more attention and press than most of the other articles published.

Ford's New Broncos are Already Having Major Engine Problems (DO NOT Buy)
Ha! Just watched all of that and agree with all his points, especially with the QC concerns on the outsourced components.
that’s said, my 2.7 AB#195 has 18k on it and it’s been great so far.

Sponsored

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

cbarg14

Black Diamond
First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F•150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Looooong thread. Are any 2022 MY 2.7L engines experiencing engine failures or just MY 21?

AceGoliath

Outer Banks
First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco OBX SAS , 22 Maverick XLT, 10 Fusion SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ha! Just watched all of that and agree with all his points, especially with the QC concerns on the outsourced components.
that’s said, my 2.7 AB#195 has 18k on it and it’s been great so far.
I feel a little bit better at night seeing your high mileage 195 updates, a couple other higher mileage 195's on here, and the stats in this thread for 195.

I only have 3,600 miles on mine, but about to go on my first road trip in a couple weeks.

The couple 193's that went kind of the same time about a month ago did make me lose a little bit of confidence though. There went the clear window that we were basically in the middle of. Going to keep the road trips within 5 hours from home this summer.

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

and this segment . .

2:48 __ ' F-150 Lightning . . guy tried to tow his small Airstream and only got 80-miles . . . how you gonna tow your Airstream around the country when you only get 80-miles . . . '

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: . . lololol
That is probably because he did not let the water out of the trailer before towing. SMH

Aside from being sarcastic I also ordered a LIghtning but at least I got the email telling me thanks for my interest but no way you are getting one any time soon email.
Sponsored

Last edited: