Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is probably when they closed the plant for a few weeks or paused building engines lol.
My Julian is 21196 which puts my engine in the please let it be “clear range”. So Lima was definitely building engines for this period.
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Wonder how many in the Gap are dirt mountain and just haven’t hit the mileage yet.
I was dirt mountain and in the gap, I am going to look under the hood to see if my engine is still the same one (21180). If it's not, I will post it up, however I am at 5300+ miles (in under 2 months) with probably near 130-150 hours of engine operation.

Edit: engine wasn't changed at Dirt Mountain. Same serial number. No evidence of shenanigans either.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My guess is no cylinder heads or motor swaps tho?
None suspected yet. We're seeing disturbed fasteners and some hoses with newer dates.

Boxer4

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TRUCK
Your Bronco Model
Base
I was dirt mountain and in the gap, I am going to look under the hood to see if my engine is still the same one (21180). If it's not, I will post it up, however I am at 5300+ miles (in under 2 months) with probably near 130-150 hours of engine operation.
Hours of operation - not a bad way to look at it.

Sponsored

International_George

Black Diamond
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1980 International Scout II
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Has anyone asked their service department if swapping in a 2.3 is an option? I'm sure there are a ton of differences, but if it's a possibility maybe @Ford Motor Company could offer it as an option.

stampede1

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Edit: engine wasn't changed at Dirt Mountain. Same serial number. No evidence of shenanigans either.
Mine is 21179. Not a dirt mountain and has just under 3k miles, consisting of about 40% street 60% 55 mph highway 65 mph freeway use so no heavy lifting mechanically. My number puts me slightly into the “gap”. I was planning on taking it off road soon and possibly a trip from California to Moab later this year but am a little gun shy about long trips and isolated areas until I feel I am in the clear, if there is such a thing…

North7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SUV
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Mine's a 214 build date and I've got just under 4K. I've got blown engines in the past two vehicles I've bought, I was hoping that buying a brand new one would end my winning streak, at least for a while.
Interesting, your lack of luck with engines. What brand and model were your last two with the blown engines? Were they within the first year of ownership?

How do you typically drive, slow/moderate and steady or jackrabbit starts and take it to the limit, between stoplights at least.

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You are doing a great job with this list. I wish there was a way to send this list to ford and they could just handle it.
According to the back order of engines coming directly from the Ford engineering team for engineering reasons…it does sound like they are onto something.

Carolina Jim

Black Diamond
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2-door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
According to the back order of engines coming directly from the Ford engineering team for engineering reasons…it does sound like they are onto something.
"onto something"...or at least scratching their ass thinking about it.

I gotta believe there is some correlation between the 'constrained status' of the 2.7 (since spring 2020) and the rash of failures.

Sponsored

JollyFolly

Outer Banks
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4 Runner
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

"onto something"...or at least scratching their ass thinking about it.

I gotta believe there is some correlation between the 'constrained status' of the 2.7 (since spring 2020) and the rash of failures.
Good way to put it.
I got a brand new Ford Edge as a loaner for the time being, which isn’t bad and could have been worse. I just hope this isn’t a 6 month back-order due to them re-engineering. I would really hope they, in tangent work on a fix for current 2.7L on the road, issue a quick recall at the same time re-engineering the old 2.7L for future builds.

Slosh1

Wildtrak
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 f150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Thx, they're definitely watching it . . . plus they have at least 10x this many recorded in their Ford Service Technicians Forum by now I believe - wish we could see that -
How's yours going w the repair experience w your dealer -
They haven’t touched it since the 4th and that was when they thought it was just the starter. They moved it over to another large garage for tearing into it. It’s seems to be like a long term storage area.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone asked their service department if swapping in a 2.3 is an option? I'm sure there are a ton of differences, but if it's a possibility maybe @Ford Motor Company could offer it as an option.
Would be cheaper to take your 2.7 in on trade for a brand new 2.3 Bronco....WAY too much stuff is different. Bellhousing, starter, exhaust...heck even the springs are engine specific! Wire harness, computer, FEAD...just not worth it, and then your VIN would be forever wrong

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

vzqhsg

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is a great thread. Thanks to all for it.
Sponsored