Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F-350 SD, 1975 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes. Sales mngr is a friend. Plus there is mud splatter & grass all up underneath.
Sounds way too familiar to me. For whatever reason some of these dealerships just don’t want the work. They claim Ford won’t cover but they never really try. The position the guy is taking very early on speaks volumes. Maybe Make some calls and tow it to another dealer. Get second opinion from someone other than an a-hole.
Sponsored

Evolkidbell

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1966 Bronco, 2013 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sounds way too familiar to me. For whatever reason some of these dealerships just don’t want the work. They claim Ford won’t cover but they never really try. The position the guy is taking very early on speaks volumes. Maybe Make some calls and tow it to another dealer. Get second opinion from someone other than an a-hole.
This.
Used to have a work F-250 that was having issues and kept intermittently going into limp mode. Local dealer kept making excuses as to why it wasn’t in warranty. Fought it for a few months.
Took it to another dealer, and they fixed it under warranty without question.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@Ford Motor Company is being awfully quiet... Can't say that I am surprised.

So this dealer wants you to believe that water went up the exhaust pipe, filled the muffler, ingressed against gravity through the catalytic converter, reverse flowed through the turbocharger, and then went through an open exhaust valve into a sealed cylinder that had no vacuum (and maximally could have pulled less than 1 liter of fluid even if it was under full vacuum).

Follow the science and Get The F' Out of here. He's so full of it that I bet he turns turd colored.

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So this dealer wants you to believe that water went up the exhaust pipe, filled the muffler, ingressed against gravity through the catalytic converter, reverse flowed through the turbocharger, and then went through an open exhaust valve into a sealed cylinder that had no vacuum (and maximally could have pulled less than 1 liter of fluid even if it was under full vacuum).

Follow the science and Get The F' Out of here. He's so full of it that I bet he turns turd colored.
I really want to hear the technician explain this theory.

vlxjim

Wildtrak
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Jeep Rubicon Recon, F250
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

Let's not forget that the 2.7L has internal integrated water cooled exhaust manifolds. Not sure of the configuration or geometry of a water cooled exhaust manifold but it's part of the head so in theory if that cracked water could dump into a cylinder with an open valve. Even a little water could cause hydrolock and damage a cylinder. I've had that happen several times on my inboard boat engines. And those were external water cooled manifolds.

Sponsored

Clearwater native

Badlands
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19F-59,16-E350, 65C10,05TJ, 67RSCamaro, 65malibuSS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] 1643793326647

LassoB

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I ran the 2.7 in my fusion sport, it was a solid engine and pretty quick. Never had a problem and sold it at 32000 miles. Quality control on batches of parts are always an issue. It happens at all manufacturing companies, doesn't matter what part or product is being made. At my company we have issues all the time an do our best to correct the problem.

IDyeti

Black Diamond
First Name
SPAM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Just went to dealer to look at it. They claim water either entered into the tail pipe or air intake. Then it took the 2,000 extra miles to finally damage it........ No warranty!
Sorry to say this but it's plausible it took 2000miles to completely fail. I bent a rod in Dodge 5.2l V8 sucking up a dirty water puddle about the same depth as that. Engine ran fine other than some slight pinging noises. I did have a 3rd party mechanic confirm the bent rod who advised to sell instead of fix. I sold it soon after so i didn't stick around to know the fail date. That engine had a cone filter on it and no intake box, I sucked up so much water I had to siphon it out using a camelback hose. Now on the Bronco there's the little water flap that is suppose to prevent water from entering the intake. Perhaps you could argue that the water flap in the air intake failed. Tailpipe seems to be pure bullshit to me.

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really want to hear the technician explain this theory.
As a former Ford service tech I can explain what I would say "I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY don't wana put a motor in this under warranty". Actually I think I said that several times, years ago of course

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealership like

Ford Bronco 2.7L blown engine failure list . . 68 so far [Updated: December 13, 2022] VBRQJv5

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As a former Ford service tech I can explain what I would say "I REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY don't wana put a motor in this under warranty". Actually I think I said that several times, years ago of course
Why do the service techs care?

JonD79

Black Diamond
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I call bullshit...... havne't been offroad in 2 mos. have driven it 1500 miles since last being stuck. Even then only in 18" of water..........
I agree with you...this is complete bs. Your options as I see it #1 Tow it to a different dealership, but before I did that I think I would call the service manager at that prospective dealership and talk it over w/him. If he seems like he agrees that you are getting jerked around then maybe he'll help ya out. Course he's gonna say something like "I'm not gonna promise you anything till my tech looks at it", which is reasonable. If he seems like he wants to run away from the thing, then might not work out so good. #2 Assuming they have identified the problem cylinder, ask for a leakdown test. If it hydrolocked and bent a rod, it would still have very little to no leakdown, a dropped valve however would give you 100% leakdown. Of course Ford wont pay for this so you may have to sign off on additional charges. I'd be willing to bet you $15k there is NOT a bent con rod...but what the hell do I know? #3 Get the Ford rep involved...this one can get sideways on ya in a hurry...Ford reps are very unpredictable. One customer they will give everything in the world for free, next guy they tell him he's fooked. You might end up w/a combination of #1 and #3, but I'm sure you can get this warranteed if you play ball the right way

blanchardsbronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fusion
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So update results of my breakdown!
I had immediately texted Fomoco through B6G and reported my breakdown. They answered and set up a report on it. Dealer yesterday said it was my fault and no warranty. Today I emailed fomoco and my dealer I wanted an FSE inspector to measure the compression of the remaining engine, I wanted the results and a sample of the water present. My dealer said he was coming today. At 4 he calls me and says the Ford tech said, yup water in the engine. It won't be covered. Supposedly they tried to convince him to warranty it. He told them since they are a big dealer, they can always cover it. So he told me they... the dealership, was going to take care of the cost of replacement....... Big relief to me. But defintely a big switch from yesterday, when they told me it was all on me......
So i feel that with all the failures that have happend, and the report that the Lima plant DID have problems with the valves..... someone felt they could lose if pushed on coverage..... Either way, I am happy I don't have to cover the cost.... But still bothered my truck will always have that hanging over it!!!!!!
Sponsored