John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Decent video, but definitely an "outside looking in" perspective. He certainly seems to have more familiarity with: engines; their construction; and the components, materials, and manufacturing processes that increase strength and reliability. I just wish he knew something about F150s before he started describing it, haha.

Funny bits:
  • Royal blue
  • Sport is just an appearance package, settle down, Beavis
  • "...in the 1500 segment." Uh, you mean half-ton pickups?
  • Couldn't say a certain HP per liter without giggling.
This is a really good video or start of a series for people unfamiliar with engines and their components but there are some points that I wish had a more in-depth or scientific phrase or sentence included.
Well, now. Don't diss my 2.7 Sport Trim that I happened to get because it was the F150 the dealer was willing to give me the best deal on in 2016!šŸŒž Because of the 3.55 axle, it had the best mpg of any truck ive owned (low 20s consistently). That also reduced its tow rating to about 6,800, unfortunately. A 3.73 would have towed more, with lower mpg. The bed tie-downs were standard. There was a shifter switch-activated, Sport setting which changed the sound of the muffler, geared down the gears for more torque . . . The precurser to the Sport setting now available in Bronco "modes". I could spin the tires with ease. And the 4wd system was really nice on the beach and snow. The 2.7 ECO was flawless. Nice truck. I agree about the video, it was more of a theoretical overview, not apparently experienced based with that engine!
Sponsored

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

If you don't like the engine, get something else.
Pretty easy decision.
I love my 2.7, it feels like a V8 in fact I was surprised it made the same amount of torque the 5.0 makes but 2000 RPM lower.
Only time will tell how reliable these engines are, so far since 2015 they've done very well.
Iā€™m actually amazed at the power but Iā€™m actually old-school pushrod V-8s
I put a
K&n filter and MSRP exhaust thatā€™s good enough for me.
I would like to up the red line tack governor limit though
I was trying to find that in FORScan. I found some thing that was in there. I turned it off, so maybe itā€™ll redline higher I donā€™t know.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, now. Don't diss my 2.7 Sport Trim...

There was a shifter switch-activated, Sport setting which changed the sound of the muffler, geared down the gears for more torque . . .
Uhh... pretty sure it didn't do that, lol.

The sound is "piped in" via a dedicated speaker with simulated exhaust sounds, so if you perceived that, it was all smoke and mirrors. Also, how would that button affect the gears? It most lokely affected the transmission shift points and throttle input most with an outside slim chance of some AFR tweaking but I doubt the last part.

I had a 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost XLT Sport and the only thing I could say, at this particular moment, that the button on the shifter did was adjust the throttle input and 10spd auto shift points. The fake sound may have simply increased relative to the higher RPMs I would enjoy whenever I used that button. I think it disabled auto start-stop as well?

No disrespect to the XLT Sport of that era at all! I loved mine and it was in Lightning Blue as well! Best blue Ford has ever made.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Iā€™m actually amazed at the power but Iā€™m actually old-school pushrod V-8s
I put a
K&n filter and MSRP exhaust thatā€™s good enough for me.
I would like to up the red line tack governor limit though
I was trying to find that in FORScan. I found some thing that was in there. I turned it off, so maybe itā€™ll redline higher I donā€™t know.
I don't recall ever seeing someone complain about that on this site. I'm probably wrong because we complain a lot, but... do you mean the red line, actual rev limiter or where your slushbox decides it's time to shift? The latter can be ameliorated with the Ford Performance tune.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Uhh... pretty sure it didn't do that, lol.

The sound is "piped in" via a dedicated speaker with simulated exhaust sounds, so if you perceived that, it was all smoke and mirrors. Also, how would that button affect the gears? It most lokely affected the transmission shift points and throttle input most with an outside slim chance of some AFR tweaking but I doubt the last part.

I had a 2017 F150 3.5 Ecoboost XLT Sport and the only thing I could say, at this particular moment, that the button on the shifter did was adjust the throttle input and 10spd auto shift points. The fake sound may have simply increased relative to the higher RPMs I would enjoy whenever I used that button. I think it disabled auto start-stop as well?

No disrespect to the XLT Sport of that era at all! I loved mine and it was in Lightning Blue as well! Best blue Ford has ever made.
Its all good. A little humor! Merry Christmas-

Sponsored

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Its all good. A little humor! Merry Christmas-
Merry Christmas to you as well!

My daughter guilted the crap out of me ever since I sold that F150 and I've had my Bronco over a year, haha.

retiredarmymp

Badlands
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Its simple, if you are worried about reliability, buy a high mileage extended warranty and have your dealer perform the maintenance. Problem solved!

BigSkyBronco

Badlands
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited - '96 Toyota FZJ80
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my buddy got hit with that. The issue is it's a $30k+ repair.
The M97 engine in my ā€˜06 Cayman S has a less than .01 % chance of IMS failure. Iā€™ll just DRIVE it! The prior gen with the M96 is more like .1% Guessing thatā€™s what he has/had.

Sponsored

SHANUT

Badlands
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you don't like the engine, get something else.
Pretty easy decision.
I love my 2.7, it feels like a V8 in fact I was surprised it made the same amount of torque the 5.0 makes but 2000 RPM lower.
Only time will tell how reliable these engines are, so far since 2015 they've done very well.
Either ecoboost in the F150 will absolutely walk the 5.0 coyote. We have all of these engines that in all of the different truck variations and love them all. The coyote sounds great, but either eco-boost does everything else better, especially towing. My son has the coyote in his F150, and he had to supercharge it to keep up with all of the ecoboosts in the family. And oh, by the way, if you break these engines in gently and change the oil early and often they run for hundreds of thousands of trouble free miles. Weā€™ve had them for years and have never had to touch one of them for any reason.

71to21-2DR

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Frontier 4WD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't recall ever seeing someone complain about that on this site. I'm probably wrong because we complain a lot, but... do you mean the red line, actual rev limiter or where your slushbox decides it's time to shift? The latter can be ameliorated with the Ford Performance tune.
When I go through the tunnel same one as I have since I was 16 (now 55)I have always done a neutral Rev with my loud exhaust,
On all my cars. But this one just goes flat when I mash the pedal
I know juvenile, but itā€™s fun!

Merc4x4

Badlands
First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The M97 engine in my ā€˜06 Cayman S has a less than .01 % chance of IMS failure. Iā€™ll just DRIVE it! The prior gen with the M96 is more like .1% Guessing thatā€™s what he has/had.
Like this? He probably took it to the dealer for an engine out fix that Porsche caused.

i think it was a 991. Maybe a .5, I donā€™t recall.
the issue was the price of a new engine or rebuilt engine starts at $30k.
he was lucky to have a dealer advocate for him and Porsche covered the repair.
It may not be a widespread issue, but it practically totals the car.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I go through the tunnel same one as I have since I was 16 (now 55)I have always done a neutral Rev with my loud exhaust,
On all my cars. But this one just goes flat when I mash the pedal
I know juvenile, but itā€™s fun!
I love doing that too, but are you shifting your auto into Neutral while driving through it?

There are far more "nannies" in modern vehicles from simple electronics to hundreds or thousands of lines of code that ruin our fun.

If that exhaust is not working for you, then I could only suggest Ford Performance tune or something.

...of course, trading in for a manual transmission will let you control the revs. ;)
Sponsored