Sponsored

2022 Bronco: Ceramic Coating - Is It Worth It?

texasmark04

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, just picked up my new 2022 Bronco Outer Banks in Area 51. I'm thinking about doing a Ceramic Coating on the vehicle as one of many upgrades I want to do. However, I have never done this before. Even with my 2017 Corvette Stingray I only had XPEL film put on, no ceramic coating. So is there value in spending thousands on a ceramic coating upgrade? I have been quoted around $2300 for the whole Bronco. That includes Paint Correction (said that you must do this before applying the Ceramic Coating), and fusion ceramic coating on whole vehicle, glass, wheel faces, plastic & trims. So, quite some coin to spend, wanted to get some feedback from others who have done it? Thanks.
Sponsored

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4 Wheels, 3 pedals, goes forward
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I casually detail cars for myself and others. If the paint is new, and there aren't a ton of swirl marks, you can get away with not doing a correction. You can also get yourself a DA polisher, some compound and do it yourself. If your happy with the shine let it be,.

Ceramic coatings aren't too difficult to do - and I would never pay that much for one. My suggestion for you: Wash, decon (iron and tar remover), and clay the bronco and then coat it with Gyeon Can Coat Evo - it's a ceramic coating that is super easy to apply and will last at least a year with maintenance washes. Repeat the process next year. You can get longer lasting coatings, but they aren't as easy to apply.

I am fairly familiar with this stuff, so feel free to ask any questions.

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would say itā€™s worth it if you do it all yourself. But I would not pay $2300+ for ceramic coat that will only last 3years, 5 if itā€™s garage kept. Better upgrades you can get for $2300. All the coating does is help shed water and makes it easier to clean.

Itā€™s not hard just takes time. I did my Challenger back in 2015 then again in 2020. But I enjoy detailing as well. I use CarPro UK ceramics, Bliss and their car care products to keep the ceramic in good shape.

I think for my Bronco I will just go with the Turtle Wax products. Ice & Shine is some good stuff. They also have a great line of Si02 infused products.

Last edited:

lostinva

Outer Banks
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4 (2019)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I casually detail cars for myself and others. If the paint is new, and there aren't a ton of swirl marks, you can get away with not doing a correction. You can also get yourself a DA polisher, some compound and do it yourself. If your happy with the shine let it be,.

Ceramic coatings aren't too difficult to do - and I would never pay that much for one. My suggestion for you: Wash, decon (iron and tar remover), and clay the bronco and then coat it with Gyeon Can Coat Evo - it's a ceramic coating that is super easy to apply and will last at least a year with maintenance washes. Repeat the process next year. You can get longer lasting coatings, but they aren't as easy to apply.

I had the coating applied by the dealer.. they gave me a ton on my trade in so I felt like I was playing with house money. Can/should I do regular waxing over that coating? Thanks for being willing to pass on any knowledge you have on the subject!

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I had the coating applied by the dealer.. they gave me a ton on my trade in so I felt like I was playing with house money. Can/should I do regular waxing over that coating? Thanks for being willing to pass on any knowledge you have on the subject!
My opinion is wax or ceramic coat but not both. Ceramic coat is just what it says, a super thin layer of hard, smooth ceramic over everything itā€™s sprayed on. Imagine doing that over a waxed apple. The wax is soft and softer when warmed. A hard thin layer wonā€™t adhere or last well on top of it. On the flip side, ceramic has hydroponic properties to shed water, and will make the wax not adhere well. Both do a bit of protection and make things shiny.

Most important is to keep the paint clean, with correct washing (use two bucket method), decontaminate a few times a year with clay bar, and then apply a good wax or ceramic. I wouldnā€™t pay even $500 for a ceramic coat. Itā€™s basically a proper detail and then a very easy ceramic application. Get the Turtle wax ceramic coat in the green spray bottles on Amazon and apply two coatings after every proper detail.

Sponsored

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜17 4Runner, ā€˜16 BMW 328i, ā€˜96 Stang GT, ā€˜19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Is the Gyeon Q2 that much better than simple Turtle wax ceramic spray? A lot more expensive!

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sure you can top off the ceramic coat with your favorite wax. I always put a top coat on my Challenger. I am old school and use paste wax. I just find applying a good paste wax by hand therapeutic. I currently use the new Turtle Wax Si02 infused paste. I think itā€™s their 75th anniversary wax.

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I wouldn't wax over a coating, though it won't hurt. If you want to use a topper (which will extend the coating life and give differing amounts of shine) I like to use Car Pro Reload or Gyeon Cure - they are sealants, will play nice with the coating and last longer than wax. DO NOT use a cleaner wax or polish on your coating, it will ruin it.

OP
OP

texasmark04

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Appreciate the suggestion. One thing I forgot to mention, my Bronco is not garage kept, so its always outside in the elements. I don't mind washing and waxing my cars, I usually have done this in past, but never have done "clay bars" or "decon". I don't trust myself and definitely don't want to mess up the vehicle's paint considering I just got the Bronco this week. I don't mind spending a little bit of cash to ensure its done correctly.

FYI, I thought $2300 was on the high side, but thought I would ask from those who may have experience in pricing this process out. I'm waiting on more quotes from places around town.

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Is the Gyeon Q2 that much better than simple Turtle wax ceramic spray? A lot more expensive!
You'll get several uses (~5-6 cars) out of a bottle of can coat if you store it well. The coating lasts longer and sheds dirt better. There is nothing wrong with the Turtle Wax stuff though - I really like their ICE seal n shine and use it regularly. Up to you on the cost.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, just picked up my new 2022 Bronco Outer Banks in Area 51. I'm thinking about doing a Ceramic Coating on the vehicle as one of many upgrades I want to do. However, I have never done this before. Even with my 2017 Corvette Stingray I only had XPEL film put on, no ceramic coating. So is there value in spending thousands on a ceramic coating upgrade? I have been quoted around $2300 for the whole Bronco. That includes Paint Correction (said that you must do this before applying the Ceramic Coating), and fusion ceramic coating on whole vehicle, glass, wheel faces, plastic & trims. So, quite some coin to spend, wanted to get some feedback from others who have done it? Thanks.
I'm putting on the graphene (or what they call it) ceramic from Adams myself after detailing/correcting (not much to do there). I'd never pay the crazy prices it costs from a shop, this is not a Lamborghini. I'd also never pay what a full PPF wrap costs, my 19 year old Taco has 4 or 5 dings from rocks on the hood. In that time I'd have had to replace the PPF at least two times. I can get the whole truck repainted for about 2k.
I also won't ever show up at some bragging thing like cars and coffee or show it at some car show, don't care about that kind of stuff. Don't care what any stranger on the road thinks about it either, bought it for me and me only.

Ceramic will also not last for ever. I just want to add it since it makes the washing every couple months a lot easier. And that's how often it will get washed unless I drive through some mud. Luckily where I live mud is as rare as snow, so I'll bee all good there ;-)

DA JUICE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Appreciate the suggestion. One thing I forgot to mention, my Bronco is not garage kept, so its always outside in the elements. I don't mind washing and waxing my cars, I usually have done this in past, but never have done "clay bars" or "decon". I don't trust myself and definitely don't want to mess up the vehicle's paint considering I just got the Bronco this week. I don't mind spending a little bit of cash to ensure its done correctly.

FYI, I thought $2300 was on the high side, but thought I would ask from those who may have experience in pricing this process out. I'm waiting on more quotes from places around town.
One of the shops local to me will do a coating (Gtechniq CSL) for 900 on paint and 1300 for the entire SUV, no paint correction to give you an idea. And they are good.

But, if you can wax a car you can clay bar it - I would encourage you to watch a couple of Youtube videos, you won't screw up your paint (just stay away from the polisher).

jtim47Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 28th new Ford replacing my 2015 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I paid $1,000 to have my 2-week-old Ford 4 door Badlands ceramic coated., a month ago. I live in the Seattle (Federal Way 98003 area).
full Decon and prep, complete paint correction and coating.

Last edited:

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If you have experience hand washing and waxing and don't mind putting in the work you can do it yourself including the clay bar. Just search it up on YouTube or watch the manufacturers application videos. Below is what I did after picking up my Bronco and it took me about 6 hours.

Process was:
1. Wash: Meguirs Deep Crystal Car Wash
2. Clay: Mothers Ultimate Hybrid 1-Step Ceramic Clay & Coat
3. Paint correction & polish: Mothers CMX Ceramic 3in1 Polish & Coat
4. Ceramic Coat: Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating
5. Wax: Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax. (some advise to skip the wax over ceramic others recommend it, do as you see fit)

I did a lot of reading and video watching the past few days and that was the process that most seemed to agree on. Couple of notes, used my 6" Ryobi orbital to apply and remove both the the polish (used 5 buffing pads) and the wax (1 applicator pad that I already had and then 5 buffing pads). Used the ceramic coating on everything, paint, trim and top.

Murph914

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 F-350 reg cab srw v10 manual
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Spend $1,000 somewhere and get it done. The ppf does the real protection, ceramic keeps the finish looking waxed and polished. Real ceramic dries like glass Iā€™d be skeptical of any miracle product (although maybe worth it at their price). I did a coating with my friend thatā€™s certified by the manufacturer. When the stuff dries its like glass or sand. Weird stuff.
Sponsored