Sponsored

2022 Bronco: Ceramic Coating - Is It Worth It?

HEMI_Shaker

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Dodge Challanger 392 Shaker (Sublime gree
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I paid $1,000 to have my 2-week-old Ford 4 door Badlands ceramic coated., a month ago. I live in the Seattle (Federal Way 98003 area).
Thats a good price if it included a full Decon and prep, complete paint correction and coating.
Sponsored

Monster1926

First Edition
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC Sierra 2500HD
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I coated mine today, itā€™s pretty simple correcting the paint is time consuming. After 4000 miles each door has two rock chips on it. Ceramic wonā€™t help with chips only ppf will do Iā€™ve been considering doing that next.

cmcbronco

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 f-150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Base
Itā€™s definitely worth it at the right price. Itā€™s also nice to know a local guy thatā€™s good at it haha. $300 with paint correction and he does a great job.
he uses carpro which as I understand is some great stuff. I went ahead and ordered the carpro reload Spray for upkeep. Also got the lift foam for a pre wash then the reset for the hand wash. Two bucket method with grit guards. Should help keep the ceramic coat fresh for a few years.

OP
OP

texasmark04

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I coated mine today, itā€™s pretty simple correcting the paint is time consuming. After 4000 miles each door has two rock chips on it. Ceramic wonā€™t help with chips only ppf will do Iā€™ve been considering doing that next.
Iā€™ve thought about doing PPF after having the ceramic coating applied. But not whole vehicle, that is super expensive! Just front and hood.

Kos

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So, just picked up my new 2022 Bronco Outer Banks in Area 51. I'm thinking about doing a Ceramic Coating on the vehicle as one of many upgrades I want to do. However, I have never done this before. Even with my 2017 Corvette Stingray I only had XPEL film put on, no ceramic coating. So is there value in spending thousands on a ceramic coating upgrade? I have been quoted around $2300 for the whole Bronco. That includes Paint Correction (said that you must do this before applying the Ceramic Coating), and fusion ceramic coating on whole vehicle, glass, wheel faces, plastic & trims. So, quite some coin to spend, wanted to get some feedback from others who have done it? Thanks.
My dealer does a ceramic coating, under body rust treatment, interior stain guard, and additional underbody sound deadening for $1,895. Offered it to me for $895 after deducting the $1k Ford offered dealers as part of the customer satisfaction program. More than $1k for just ceramic is a rip off.

Sponsored
OP
OP

texasmark04

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you have experience hand washing and waxing and don't mind putting in the work you can do it yourself including the clay bar. Just search it up on YouTube or watch the manufacturers application videos. Below is what I did after picking up my Bronco and it took me about 6 hours.

Process was:
1. Wash: Meguirs Deep Crystal Car Wash
2. Clay: Mothers Ultimate Hybrid 1-Step Ceramic Clay & Coat
3. Paint correction & polish: Mothers CMX Ceramic 3in1 Polish & Coat
4. Ceramic Coat: Mothers CMX Ceramic Spray Coating
5. Wax: Mothers Ultimate Hybrid Ceramic Wax. (some advise to skip the wax over ceramic others recommend it, do as you see fit)

I did a lot of reading and video watching the past few days and that was the process that most seemed to agree on. Couple of notes, used my 6" Ryobi orbital to apply and remove both the the polish (used 5 buffing pads) and the wax (1 applicator pad that I already had and then 5 buffing pads). Used the ceramic coating on everything, paint, trim and top.
Wow, 6 hours! Canā€™t see myself doing that, this is why Iā€™m thinking paying someone might be the way to go. Iā€™m going to see if I can get a quote under $1000 in my area.

filup01

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Iā€™m all for waxing and/or ceramic coating or a ceramic wax (I use whatever Chemical Guys sells) twice a year. Once before winter and then again right after winter I will wash, clay, then apply whatever Chemical Guys stuff I have. It says ceramic on the bottle but who knows if itā€™s real or not. The rest of the year, I wash as needed and drive with a smile.

If you look at a well maintained car/truck thatā€™s 10-15 years old that has never seen ceramic coating, they still look damn good. To answer your question, is it worth it? I answer, is it worth it to you?

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hybrid solutions by turtle wax. I love their 3 in 1 spray and ceramic spray. For all my other detail stuff I use chemical guys. I'll be doing paint correction myself when the weather gets nicer. I have blemishes on mine from dirt mountain.

mrjerry469

Black Diamond
First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BLACK DIAMOND
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I use AvalonKing ceramic coating very easy to apply I follow Pan the Organizer on YT very knowledgeable

BurtMacklin

Outer Banks
First Name
AMS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB 4 DR / 22 F150 / 23 OBX 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I paid a local shop $500 to do it- happy I did, it gives me some peace of mind. Because I brought mine right in after picking up from the dealer, they said paint correction wouldnā€™t be necessary. I definitely think my bronco stays looking cleaner longer because of it.

Sponsored

72BroncoSand

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 Bronco, 77 f-150, Jetta Tdi, 1ton
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I paid $1,000 to have my 2-week-old Ford 4 door Badlands ceramic coated., a month ago. I live in the Seattle (Federal Way 98003 area).
Can you recommend the shop you used? How do you like it? Im in South King County also

Reactions: Cat

jtim47Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
my 28th new Ford replacing my 2015 F-150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Pro -Touch, 31414 Pacific Hwy in Federal Way Tell them the owner of the first Bronco they did coated referred you to them.
have been using them for over 5 years. they do great work.
just so you know they will need your unit for 3 days. they keep inside and do a great job.

Kerney

Outer Banks
First Name
Kerney
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'12 Miata SE
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP you don't say what you are expecting from ceramic coating. This isn't like putting a sapphire crystal on a watch face which makes it practically impervious to scratches. All ceramic coating does is put a bit harder finish on the car and it is much more hydrophobic. What do I mean by that...When my car gets water droplets on it, if they don't run off they sit up much more rounder on the car surface and they get a little air bubble in them (I'm guessing from the water droplet hitting the surface and bouncing back up) making the water droplets look almost white on my red paint. The paint to the touch is absolutely mirror slick. It is easier to wash as the dirt is easier to remove, but the car still gets dirty like any other car. You have to follow a proper car care regiment (wash and drying techniques including drying agents) to keep the car looking good. I spray on 'Bead Maker' after I wash my car as a drying agent which helps extend the coating.

My wife's car has a normal paint sealant on it. I follow the same complete regiment of car care and there are no swirl marks in her paint after 8 years. The paint surfaces are just not as slick to the touch and water beads are not as 'round' or ball shaped.

That all being said you either fall into 1 of 2 camps. 1 is you look at spending 3 or so days doing all the paint correction and ceramic coating yourself as a fun experience that you can save $2100 (If you own a polisher) and all you need is the materials. It's about $200 to completely detail a car and do 1 coat of CSL and 2 coats of EXO coating. If you don't own the polisher throw in another $300 for a good mid grade one. That savings could be put toward installing a wall mounted pressure washer, 100' hose w/ reel, and foam cannon so you can foam wash your car. Or you fall into the camp of having money and find no joy in spending the better part of a weekend doing this work. Those folks also tend to use automatic car washes. I'd also be very doubtful of finding a high quality ceramic coating installed for under $1,000. Yeah someone can do a little buff and spay some cheap ceramic coating in a bottle on your car, but you could also do that same thing yourself for $50.

PPF is still absolutely required if you want to protect your paints finish from rock chips. Both my and wife's car have PPF on them also. There are some great videos from Larry at Ammo NYC, Matt at Obsessed Garage, and Mike at Autogeek. If you get on Autogeeks email list they routinely have 25% sales and free shipping.

Yeah my neighbors think I'm crazy as I've never seen any of them spending time even giving their car a basic 1 bucket dawn car wash while I get my multiple buckets out weekly and my cars turn into this huge white foam ball from the foam cannon.

Last edited:

ColoradoKid26

Badlands
First Name
Naughty Scotty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badsquatch, 2022 F-150 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I paid $1,500 for a '9-year' ceramic coat.

Did I get hosed?

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Iā€™ve thought about doing PPF after having the ceramic coating applied. But not whole vehicle, that is super expensive! Just front and hood.
The correct way to do this would be to have the ppf installed then ceramic over the ppf as well.
Sponsored