Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yes but...

From the Bronco Owners guide: (Page 167)
Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2
octane rating of 87. ...

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer

Yes, but. Had you said "the Bronco runs just OKAY on 87", I'd agree with you. And no way are you going to get that great High Velocity Yellow color I have on my Jeep (Including painted top to match).

Honestly, I have trouble telling the power difference. When I run E30, the difference is dramatic enough that I can definitely tell the difference.

Jon1drfl

First Edition
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

'22 Bronco 2dr Manual Sasquatch Badlands Lux in Area 51 (2.3L)
'22 Wrangler 4 door Automatic Sahara in Gobi (2.0L 4 cyl turbo)
Basically the same price.

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

BadAssLands.jpg
Nice looking ride! Enjoy

Tacoman

Raptor
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Code Orange Braptor, 2022 Black Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have a 2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Recon and a new Braptor...love both! For different reasons, but the Jeep is actually my company car I travel in with the Braptor as our weekender.....

Sponsored

Bruceaholic

Big Bend
First Name
Kathy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Another convert. ✅

I work with several Jeep people and there will be a line for the test drives if I ever get my truck.
I have had 5 Wranglers. Currently driving a 97. Can’t wait for the Bronco!

BRBUSTER72

Black Diamond
First Name
DAVE
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 XTERRA '16 SUPER DUTY '18 EQUINOX DIESEL
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Between my wife and I, we have had Wranglers pretty much non stop since 1997. I'm a big fan. I've never owned a Ford but always loved the look of the vintage Broncos so after the new Bronco came out I ordered one mostly because they look awesome. Much better looking than the Wrangler in my opinion. My wife just got a new Wrangler too but as a Jeep fan, consider me impressed with the Bronco. Here's my decidedly non-technical impression of the comparison of the two.

Specs:

Much has been written about the improvement in steering over the Wrangler's solid front axle but it's like night and day. The Bronco's steering just feels more carlike but with a little more feedback and resistance. Also, you're not constantly correcting to keep on center like you do on the Wrangler. I'll likely do some light off roading but the rock crawling nuances between the two are a non factor for me.

The Bronco is just... bigger. Part of this is no doubt because of the Sasquatch package but it also seems wider and feels roomier in the front seats. I rented a Rubicon once and the ride was way too stiff and handling was just brutal. Not so with the Sasquatch.

The max spec infotainment screens are much bigger on the Bronco which makes the interior look and feel nicer. I like the rest of the interior of the Bronco better than the Wrangler with the exception of the Atari-esque speedo/tach on the Bronco.

The seats are more comfortable than the Wrangler and the vinyl wetsuit-like material is really cool. (I prefer leather but I've had varying luck with leather getting the crow's feet effect after a few years so that's initially why I picked vinyl.)

The clutch and shifting in the manual are like butter. Just perfect. I'm THAT guy - the guy that wouldn't consider buying a Jeep or Bronco for myself with an automatic, but I get that most people prefer automatics and that's okay!

The suspension and ride are firmer in the Bronco but that's not a fair comparison because our Wrangler isn't a Rubicon and the 2dr has a shorter wheelbase than the Wrangler, but by no means is there a big difference between the two.

I was afraid the Sasquatch might look a little monster-trucky but the 2 door looks perfectly proportioned, chunky but awesome. Not throwing shade if your personal preference is a 4 door, I get it, the 2 door is not so practical but if you loved the vintage Broncos you'll love the way the 2dr looks more in person than in pictures.

Another pleasant surprise believe it or not was the engine sound. With the manual my only choice was the 4 cyl. Two recent vehicles of mine were an SRT8 and a Hellcat so I was absolutely dreading the sound of the 4 cyl, especially since the Wrangler 2.0L turbo sounds like a whistling electric knife. The Bronco somehow sounds ok, with a tiny hint of throatiness. I wouldn't say it sounds great but it sounds better than any 4cyl I've ever heard.

I can't compare power because I'm going to be nice to the engine for the first 500 miles but the Bronco feels a little porky for the 4cyl powerplant. I'm adding the Ford Performance Calibration so I expect that will make performance on par with the Jeep and the 2.7L. I didn't buy a race car. Recommendation: save some dough and get the 4 cyl with the tune instead of the 6.

Last but not least, obviously, dealing with Ford has been a nightmare which is not the case with Jeep. My Bronco took 14 months to get. They're on day 5 of trying to pull off the tune (accidentally ordered the 2.7, reordered the 2.3, couldn't unlock it, website currently down, no ETA, blah blah blah.) They also delivered it with a dent so they had to do bodywork and repaint a door. I had it for a day and it's been back at the dealer for a week+. Not a good first impression with quality and service.

And of course my wife is a dedicated Jeep fan so she never tires of telling me what Ford stands for (Found On the Road Dead, F**cker Only Runs Downhill, etc.) But I can deal with that, knowing I have the superior ride!

BadAssLands.jpg
Finest Off Road Design

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I've got a similar spec to yours--2 door Badlands, non-Sasquatch, but with the 2.7 and Cactus.

I will say I am totally impressed with the ride quality. I've been in the front and the back and the back is a comfortable place to be as well as the front. Not harsh over bumps. In fact, it takes the bigger bumps more smoothly than our Escape for sure.

There's enough power on top with the 2.7 that I rarely need to give it much throttle input. One time that I needed to quickly accelerate to merge into traffic, I found it has way more than enough giddyup. :)

The steering is precise, effort is higher than the Escape, but not a problem at all. Turning radius is very tight, as even passengers notice. I'm loving the tech, including heated steering wheel, automatic high beams and adaptive cruise control.

This is petty, but one thing I'd really love is to be able to ditch the digital speedo/tach combo and have better options to customize that part of the display. The digital speedo basically renders the analog version useless. I'd rather have a digital tach that looks like an analog tach there, or have more area to display some of the other settings/features. If Ford would make a free software update for that, I'd be stoked.

I, too, usually get leather, but leather feels less and less like leather these days, plus the MGV is washable, so I went that route. I'm not disappointed. The feel is soft and I believe it doesn't get as cold as leather, so that's a bonus.

I hope you enjoy yours as much as we're enjoying ours!

Stewdee55

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

Specs:

BadAssLands.jpg
Nice ride. I love my 2 door sas area 51 . 🥰

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Ah makes sense thanks. I was speaking more so about Jeep/Doge contiuning to offer these huge discounts making no sense at all too. Hopefully some day will add a 2 Door Bronco in some sort of vintage color to my fleet!
Part of it could be Jeep is producing considerably more Wranglers per year than Ford makes Broncos. And Jeep doesn't have issues with hardtops on the level that Ford had (has?). You might have an easier time getting a 4-door soft top if that is an option for Bronco (it's not for me).

Hopefully someday Ford is churning out Broncos at the same rate as Jeep, all this goofball stuff becomes a distant memory, and some regular guy can easily buy a 2-door Bronco without jumping through hoops, waiting around or overpaying. Someday?

baozebub

Black Diamond
First Name
Bao
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4dr Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
5898CF13-1C9E-49D1-94CB-C6825B4927B8.jpeg

I got impatient waiting for my Bronco (Badlands, Sasquatch, hard top, trlr tow, high package). I ended up buying a new JL 4 door High Tide jeep with the Extreme Recon 35” tire package. (MSRP) I wanted to get off road NOW!

And I really like this vehicle. Real parking brake, real tachometer. V6 without turbo (hello 87 octane fuel). And it comes in a bright happy color.

I initially thought I’d trade this in when the Bronco finally arrives. But hell no. I’m keeping the Jeep. I really love this vehicle. I’m transferring the Bronco order to my son and his wife. They are thrilled. Bronco should be here next month.
That’s a good looking Jeep.

shirokovd

Badlands
First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Mikedanalexa1

Wildtrak
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Specs:

BadAssLands.jpg
Tell the wife what Mopar stands for: most owners probably are retarded, my old pig ain’t running, money on parts and repairs

MnLakeBum

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘18 Range Rover Diesel
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
No doubt the Bronco is vastly superior for everyday driving which is what most of us Bronco and Jeep owners for at least 80% of our miles.

In the next few years I could see Jeep finally offering an independent front suspension as standard and keeping the solid font axle for the Rubicon and offering it as an option on their other models. The hard core Jeepers will cry foul but it’s the smart thing for their marketing department to do.

If the Jeep offered road manners even 70% as good as the Bronco’s, I would have ditched my 7/20/20 reservation a long time ago.
Sponsored

Last edited: