First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
So, I thought I was out of the market for a new Bronco, but have found two that will work and the dealers are not that overpriced - the ADM fee is acceptable in my current situation (no car, rocking rentals till I get one at my expense).

Use case for it is tow behind RV, only transportation (full time RV'ers) 3-5 off road excursions a year that include rocks - not fire roads, but real trails that test the Rubicon a bit...not hard, but not a gravel road either.

Both Broncos have the Lux package. The Badlands has the carpet flooring. The rest of the options are pretty typical of the respective trim levels.

The comparison threads between the two trim levels are a bit outdated, so here's a new one. I'm looking at a Wildtrak or a Sasquatched Badlands, both with "leather" seats, hard top, etc. Wildtrak has the Modular bumper, front bash plates, no rock slider. Badlands does not have the modular bumper listed - is it stock on them, or will it come with a capable bumper? I plan on towing from the modular bumper, so it's important.

I'm ok with manually disconnected the sway bar before a trail. I'm also ok with putting skid plates/rock rails on aftermarket. The standard HOSS 3.0 is tempting - it seems like it might be a bit more stout, from what I can find, and the Fox shocks are a no brainer. With that being said, is there any thing besides the swaybar disonnect/armor/steel rear bumper on the Badlands to make it more desirable?

If there's a recent comparison thread, point me in that direction.
Ford Bronco 2023 Wildtrak vs Badlands 1687959771070

Ford Bronco 2023 Wildtrak vs Badlands 1687959796145
Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Badlands would be the best choice for your use case. FWIW…I own a 23 Wildtrak and a JL Rubicon.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Both have leather so both should have carpet i believe. The main difference is the oem bash plates, rock rails, and hoss 3.0. The rock rails can be found all over for 100-200 bucks.

OP
OP

aknavy

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Both have leather so both should have carpet i believe. The main difference is the oem bash plates, rock rails, and hoss 3.0. The rock rails can be found all over for 100-200 bucks.

This. If I do aftermarket bash plates and rock rails, am I missing anything but the disconnect? In effect, it's a slightly upgraded Badlands? Or am I missing something about the Badlands?

Sponsored

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You are not missing anything. Both have the same axles, lockers, gears, etc. I went Wildtrak and plan to upgrade to suit my needs.

Strizzo

Wildtrak
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus GX460, 1966 Mustang Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

This. If I do aftermarket bash plates and rock rails, am I missing anything but the disconnect? In effect, it's a slightly upgraded Badlands? Or am I missing something about the Badlands?
I think the badlands gets a steel rear bumper instead of the plastic, unless you get the modular front bumper (again, I believe this is how it works due to weight). Probably the best configuration would be a badlands with the fox hoss 3.0 shocks and upgraded steering rack if you're feeling spendy. That was my plan before i found my 22 wildtrak, and i'd still like to upgrade to the fox shocks.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both are more than capable, just depends if you want a cheaper or more expensive toy if you ok with manual sway bar disconnect. Also can't recall if non-high package Badlands has the accessory switches, if you're looking for that.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Badlands does not have the modular bumper listed - is it stock on them, or will it come with a capable bumper?
You will get the capable bumper.

------

Anyway, they are effectively the same vehicle. Really comes down to two decisions:
  • HOSS 3.0 on Wildtrak
  • Sta-bar disconnect on Badlands.
HOSS 3.0, as you mentioned, is an improved suspension/steering rack package. The suspension part of that package isn't that important in my opinion. Suspension can easily swapped out, and given you will be towing you may find that the Bronco's suspension is too soft as it is. So really the important part of the HOSS 3.0 package is the improved steering rack.

Everything else (like the improved underbody protection and bumper) is relatively easy to obtain and add to the vehicle.

---

My personal opinion is to go Badlands because it will be easier to add the improved steering rack and a bumper than it will be to add the stabilizer bar disconnect. But I know you said you had no problems manually disconnecting your stabilizer bar.

So it feels like Wildtrak may be the better option for you.

Ninjak

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2021 Bronco Badlands 68 GTA
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For the 23's, if the Badlands is setup with 35's does it come with the HOSS 3.0? I know it will have all the skid plates, well at least my 21 does. But I went with a aftermarket suspension setup. (in sig).

Also does the Wildrtrack now automatically come with 35's and the HOSS setup? I have not kept up with what comes with what on the newer models.

Sponsored

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Both are more than capable, just depends if you want a cheaper or more expensive toy if you ok with manual sway bar disconnect. Also can't recall if non-high package Badlands has the accessory switches, if you're looking for that.
A Badlands with Lux and Squatch costs more than a Wildtrak w/ Lux.

ScLeCo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Hellcat
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's much easier adding the Fox HOSS 3.0 shocks to a badlands than it is adding the sway bar disconnect to a Wildtrack.
The sway bar disconnect is a very nice feature. I was dismissive of it until I started using it, now I will never go back to something without it.
I do plan on upgrading my suspension sometime in the future but it's not a pressing priority at the moment.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A Badlands with Lux and Squatch costs more than a Wildtrak w/ Lux.
OP didn't say which was the more expensive? Also aftermarket upgrades would be factored. My point is valid, depends on whether price is a factor. 🤷‍♂️

Dmk08

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Walk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP didn't say which was the more expensive? Also aftermarket upgrades would be factored. Point is valid, depends on whether price is a factor. 🤷‍♂️
When you said cheaper or more expensive toy I thought you were comparing BL to WT.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When you said cheaper or more expensive toy I thought you were comparing BL to WT.
Oh, I've seen some Badlands well into the $70k's with ADM. At that point it's all relative. Just glad I got my order the way I wanted for $51k (SAS, High Package).

That being said, asking for other aficionados advice on the benefits of both is a solid strategy. I just don't think they'll be too displeased by either one, as long as the "sway bar disconnect doesn't bother me" bares out.
Sponsored