F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Can others program it too? As in is it a Forscan sort of deal?

The Bronco’s first vehicle I’m getting into modding myself; as an actual programmer by trade it sure would be nice to have an ‘open source’ sort of vehicle. I get the legalities and marketing and warranty and safety reasons why car companies don’t do that though. But man there could be some awesome mods folks could do.
@RoverDude has a thread where he shows the FORSCAN changes, if you want to do it yourself.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...scan-as-built-data-without-error-codes.49906/
Sponsored

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

For $120, I would let Ford do it, if you have a local dealer listed under the participating dealers for install from the Ford Accessories website.

How does that work? I just talked to my dealer, and they gave me a rough estimate of "a couple of hours", and their rate is $190/hr.

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@RoverDude has a thread where he shows the FORSCAN changes, if you want to do it yourself.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...scan-as-built-data-without-error-codes.49906/
Great thanks. The forscan changes, while many, seems to be the easy part! Still good that all of it can be done yourself.

I didn’t get a tow package because I don’t really have anything to tow. But having tte mount seems useful for a recovery point, or adding those exterior storage shelves.

F-Spot

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla, FJ
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
How does that work? I just talked to my dealer, and they gave me a rough estimate of "a couple of hours", and their rate is $190/hr.

From the link you posted for the BRONCO 2021-2024 LUMEN 4/7 PIN TRAILER HITCH WIRING HARNESS
there is a checkbox for $120 Installation. Once you add the installation, you will have to choose from a list of participating dealers near you, for the install. Not all dealers around you will be listed...only the ones listed will be able to do the install for the $120 prepaid amount.

strawhatguy

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Black Diamond / Tesla Model 3
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you don't have to tow anything, then I'd just buy/install the hitch assembly and call it a day. Save yourself a chunk of money and time. A lot of people who just need the hitch for a bike rack or for recovery purposes do the exact same thing.

Plus you can always add the wiring later if you end up towing something. (y)
yep, that’s the conclusion I was arriving at myself, just getting the assembly for now. Awesome, thanks!

Sponsored

HolidayDog

Everglades
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Everglades
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

Just picked up my tow hitch package today. It looks like this sucker is going to require removal of the bumper. The fastener nuts are welded to the hitch.

I am doing the wiring myself and then the dealer said they would charge 1hr shop labor ($150) to do the programming.

Burned my pass points on the part….so about $300 for a wired 4/7pin programmed hitch is okay for me.

thank you for the tips @RagnarKon ! Much appreciated.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I ordered it with my 2024 but it hasn’t been installed yet.
Sales critter said it would take 6 hours. His lips were moving.
Someone PMed me and said it only took 45 minutes.

OP
OP

Bdied90277

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I brought my 2024 Bronco Badlands into South Bay Ford in Hawthorne, CA this morning along with the Trailer Tow Kit for installation and it was completed in about 45 minutes. These kits are brand new (for the 2024 models) so most of the dealers aren't even aware of the simplicity yet.
It was well worth the ~$150 to have them install and forscan in 45 minutes.
Shout Out to Mike Pendleton (Service Manager) and Row (service tech) for getting this done when no other dealer would.

SoccerM

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
To be clear this is the 2024 kit, and is the same kit the dealers get when you order the tow package from the factory.

The 2021-2023 kit is part number VP2DZ-15A416-A.

The programming integrates it with the rest of the vehicle. Allows it to talk to BLIS, parking sensors, etc. and gives you a few extra buttons on the Sync screen to turn on/off trailer sway control, and do a trailer light check.

If you skip the programming step the lighting will still work, but that's it. And you may find that your BLIS & parking sensors yell at you before they eventually give up.

This is correct, for 2024 the trailer tow packages are installed by the dealer.

The wiring harness that was a gigantic pain-in-the-butt to install for 2021-2023 is now installed by the factory. But they still have to tear apart a big chunk of the trim panels in the rear cargo area to install the trailer tow module.

It's definitely easier than it was in the past, but not really a plug-and-play sorta thing that can be completed in 10-15 minutes.

• If you order it from the factory, the dealer MUST install it free of charge
  • If you ordered it from Ford Accessories and selected dealer install, the dealer MUST install it at the price you paid on Ford Accessories.
If you just order it from the parts counter, they can charge whatever they want.

Note that the labor rates are really low... so if you go to Ford Accessories to order the part and notice that your dealership is not listed when you go to check out, don't be surprised. Many dealers are asking to be removed from the Ford Accessories website because they were actually losing money on installations. Over half of the dealers in my state have dropped out (including my own dealer).

I think you nail it on the head based on all my research. Thank for the summary.

I just bought a 24 and the closest dealer who says they will install per the Ford accessory website is 100 miles away from me. I'm still under 1000 miles break in so maybe I wait or use this drive to get to 1000 quicker. Either way $507 + a near full tank of fuel. vs local dealers who are not in the accessory website and charging $900 for the install + the $340 part seem to be my only choices unless I try it myself (and I still have to bring it a dealer and pay to update the software).

Big Swede

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I tried ordering this while at the dealership picking up my '24 on Friday, and they told a price of like $1300 installed, mentioned they needed run the wiring, etc. I informed him that the model year 24's were pre-wired and it was 368+168 on the website. He didn't back down on my info - I said nah, I'll just order it later.

Anyone know for sure if you order a part + the install amount on the website that the dealer will honor that price?
That’s crazy. Our dealer has a aftermarket guy who handles all add-ons. They charged $500 to for a hitch, wiring, installation and program it.

Sponsored

Demon4x4

Badlands
First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Website
demon4x4.com
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That’s crazy. Our dealer has a aftermarket guy who handles all add-ons. They charged $500 to for a hitch, wiring, installation and program it.
Yeah, it was a dedicated add-on sales guy. I just went through another dealership that's just about equidistant from me and got it for the $500.

Brsox

Heritage
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
If you don't have to tow anything, then I'd just buy/install the hitch assembly and call it a day. Save yourself a chunk of money and time. A lot of people who just need the hitch for a bike rack or for recovery purposes do the exact same thing.

Plus you can always add the wiring later if you end up towing something. (y)
If you don't need the 7 pin harness, I wouldn't mess with the Ford hitch at all! How many of you are towing big campers or boats and need a brake controller? I needed a hitch for my bike rack, hitch cargo carrier and to tow a small kayak trailer, so only needed 4 pin wiring. The tow package was a constraint when I ordered my Bronco so I went with the Curt hitch. It's super high quality, and in my opinion, looks much better than the huge Ford hitch assembly. The hitch installs in minutes without having to remove the rear bumper. The 4 pin wiring harness is plug and play and only requires removing two small panels near the rear tail lights. You have to run the power wire up to the battery but that's super simple as well. I mounted the 4 pin connector up behind the rear bumper for a super clean look. And the parts will run you less than $200.

IMG_6928.jpeg

IMG_6927.jpeg

SoccerM

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
If you don't need the 7 pin harness, I wouldn't mess with the Ford hitch at all! How many of you are towing big campers or boats and need a brake controller? I needed a hitch for my bike rack, hitch cargo carrier and to tow a small kayak trailer, so only needed 4 pin wiring. The tow package was a constraint when I ordered my Bronco so I went with the Curt hitch. It's super high quality, and in my opinion, looks much better than the huge Ford hitch assembly. The hitch installs in minutes without having to remove the rear bumper. The 4 pin wiring harness is plug and play and only requires removing two small panels near the rear tail lights. You have to run the power wire up to the battery but that's super simple as well. I mounted the 4 pin connector up behind the rear bumper for a super clean look. And the parts will run you less than $200.

Ford Bronco 2024 Trailer Tow Kit  (New Ford Accessory Part) IMG_6927

Ford Bronco 2024 Trailer Tow Kit  (New Ford Accessory Part) IMG_6927
Is this on a 2024 Bronco?

SoccerM

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Okay. That is what I was thinking. Turns out the 2024s have a different setup and Amazon says the Curt does not fit the 2024s. I really like your idea of the 4pin use to avoid the dealer costs. I can pull off the bumper, add the factory tow kit (that appears to be the only supported hitch at the moment for 2024 Broncos) and install the 4pin to the rear tail light panels hopefully in under an hour and I'll be all set. Thanks for pointing that out.

https://www.amazon.com/Bronco-Exclu...SOJWM1TV1LIVLl8WWEcKX5dlG1waF0lBoCKigQAvD_BwE
Sponsored