Sponsored

3/4" torque wrench needed for rear shock?

Mad Max

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First question from prospective owner (Badlands Squatch in transit): I'm excitedly planning mods and buying farkles for the new Bronco. Not particularly mechanically inclined but I'm contemplating tackling a 2" lift with the benefit of YouTube videos. Everyone advises to torque to factory specs which means I need one, probably two torque wrenches (3/8" and 1/2" drive). But the torque spreadsheet says the rear shock needs 350 ft-lbs. That will require a honking big and expensive 3/4" drive that will be used once. Do you guys really use a 3/4" drive torque wrench, or just give it a strong ugga with a breaker bar, or trust an impact wrench (which I don't have either) to get it close to spec?
Sponsored

Noremac

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

my Milwaukee m18 impact got some real good ugga duggas in there when i was playing with the rear suspension.. 2000 miles later, still cant get an extra ugga

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
More like torque-suggestions, amirite?

Ford is in cahoots with 'Big Torque' to sell more wrenches. Just get it hand tight and start another thread about it when something goes wrong.

Last edited:

Sponsored

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

3 foot fence post on a 1/2" breaker bar and a pretty good umph.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

First question from prospective owner (Badlands Squatch in transit): I'm excitedly planning mods and buying farkles for the new Bronco. Not particularly mechanically inclined but I'm contemplating tackling a 2" lift with the benefit of YouTube videos. Everyone advises to torque to factory specs which means I need one, probably two torque wrenches (3/8" and 1/2" drive). But the torque spreadsheet says the rear shock needs 350 ft-lbs. That will require a honking big and expensive 3/4" drive that will be used once. Do you guys really use a 3/4" drive torque wrench, or just give it a strong ugga with a breaker bar, or trust an impact wrench (which I don't have either) to get it close to spec?
Other options

Ford Bronco 3/4" torque wrench needed for rear shock? 1711641118919-wi

Ford Bronco 3/4" torque wrench needed for rear shock? 1711641214566-6m

Deano Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Other options

Ford Bronco 3/4" torque wrench needed for rear shock? 1711641214566-6m
I used something very similar to this from Harbor Freight. I also purchased the 3/4" to 1/2" adapters needed for your current breaker bars. It really worked great since you could set your wanted torque and it would beep when you reached it. I used it to install some DV8 lower shock mount skid plates.

Ford Bronco 3/4" torque wrench needed for rear shock? torque

Sponsored

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

1/2” impact. It’s a lock nut, you won’t want to do it by hand, and it’s not going to fall off if you under torque it.

Hpkiv

Badlands
First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2023 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I bought an Amazon 800ft lb impact and that did the trick safely. This also gives you the ability to retighten to close to spec.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

More like torque-suggestions, amirite?

Ford is in cahoots with 'Big Torque' to sell more wrenches. Just get it hand tight and start another thread about it when something goes wrong.
Also in cahoots with Big Bolt. Pretty sure they say that’s a single-use $113.80 msrp bolt on there too

TRACKTOY

Badlands
First Name
ANDRÉ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 LARIAT CREW C. 3.5L ÉCO 2022+ BRONCO BL.2023
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I had the same problem my solution was to go to my dealership and borrow their torque rinch and directly in their parking lot I adjusted to 350 feet/lbs FREE THAT'S MY WAY
TRACKTOY
Sponsored