Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

nice man!!! - you got links for the film and "equipment" you used for the install on amazon? :) I'm going to try this!!!
Yea:
VViViD 3M Clear Vinyl Paint Protection Film 6 Inch by 120 Inch Roll w/Yellow Detailer Squeegee https://a.co/d/fAGXq9T

I just wish the squeegee was a little bigger, but it still got the job done.
Sponsored

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Nice job, and good idea with the tracing. Definitely wanting to protect my paint AND the normal interior abrasion spots (rear cargo area, lower door where foot could abrade, threshhold/door sills. )
I originally bought the 3M precut film for the door sills but accidentally threw them away. So the second time around i went for the black rubber/plastic sill protectors. My thinking is if someoneā€™s putting all their weight on them and sliding their feet across them, some thick plastic is going to last longer than the film. I like the way it installed and seems pretty solid. Hereā€™s what it looks like (albeit not on my Bronco).
Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY BC19A7A6-BC35-4CE9-90BF-86DA9D405357

SROC3

Big Bend
First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I originally bought the 3M precut film for the door sills but accidentally threw them away. So the second time around i went for the black rubber/plastic sill protectors. My thinking is if someoneā€™s putting all their weight on them and sliding their feet across them, some thick plastic is going to last longer than the film. I like the way it installed and seems pretty solid. Hereā€™s what it looks like (albeit not on my Bronco).
BC19A7A6-BC35-4CE9-90BF-86DA9D405357.jpeg
I have those and I go off-roading in the desert. These work GREAT.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I have those and I go off-roading in the desert. These work GREAT.
Yea i like how the pattern on them matches the original trim too! Glad i accidentally threw away my 3M film and got these instead.

djp

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
djp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Badlands 4dr || '21 Bronco Sport BigBend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I was looking for some 3M film to add to my lower doors as added protection, found a couple places selling pre-cut kits but man they were like $150+. Thought about it and figured sheit the doors are flat enough, what if I try it myself!!! Found some 6ā€x10ā€™ 3M paint protection film on Amazon for $37 and figured Iā€™d give it a try!

Mind you Iā€™ve never installed this stuff before but watched a couple videos and declared myself competent enough to do it!

To cut the film at the door edges I first tried to trace the contour onto the film but this sheits too thick, so that didnā€™t work. Then remembered a little trick from elementary school. Put a piece of paper over the gap, color it with a crayon and blamo! I have my exact contour. I transferred that to the film, cut it out and began to install it.

Weā€™ll sonofabish the first piece was a doozy. Like I said Iā€™ve never done this before so I was kinda stumbling my way through it. Had to fight a lot of bubbles that refused to come out but I learned a few things. Make multiple passes and increase pressure each time. Start from the center and move out towards the edges. The first piece took me over an hour, the passenger door about 25 minutes and the rear drivers side door about 15 minutes. Definitely got easier each time I did it. Only thing Is I ordered 10ft but didnā€™t have enough to do the rear passenger door. Was about 6ā€ short. So Iā€™ll have to order another piece for that.

Butā€¦ with the scrap I had left over I did use it on the corners of the hood where I hear we can get chips too. Again traced it with a crayon and paper, took my time squeezing out the bubbles and blamo!!! Came out pretty good if I do say so myself. Anywheys, just thought Iā€™d share that and post for anyone looking to do the same. Itā€™s not hard but you have to clean the crap outta everything and take your time. Weā€™ll worth it in my opinion.
Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY BC19A7A6-BC35-4CE9-90BF-86DA9D405357

Brother from another mother.... I did the same but went with the 12" for better coverage, super easy to self install and only $52 total

Cant even notice it, almost invisible.

In first picture you can see the seam go through the middle of the dirtbike front wheel axel.
In second picture it crosses about the middle of the yellow bucket in reflection

Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY 1671126993882

Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY 1671127029471

Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY 1671127041924

IMG_5721.JPG

Sponsored
OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Brother from another mother.... I did the same but went with the 12" for better coverage, super easy to self install and only $52 total

Cant even notice it, almost invisible.

In first picture you can see the seam go through the middle of the dirtbike front wheel axel.
In second picture it crosses about the middle of the yellow bucket in reflection

1671126993882.png

1671127029471.png

1671127041924.png

IMG_5721.JPG
Yea I thought about doing the 12ā€ but wasnā€™t sure how it would look going halfway up the door. This one stops just above that crease in the door. Yours is hardly noticeable, good job!

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I KNOW i couldnā€™t do this so hats off to ya sir! Iā€™ll be shopping around not sure ceramic or ppfā€¦. prolly ceramic
I put ceramic OVER the PPF - works great!

Blaven

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I did the same thing but used long pieces of cardboard. Now, whenever I need to replace it, I just have to trace the cardboard pattern onto the ppf. It's been holding up great so far.

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I put ceramic OVER the PPF - works great!
No way! Did you do a write up or anything? Iā€™d for sure like to try this but dont know much about ceramic coating.

Jms1

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have applied PPF to all of my vehicles and one trick I have discovered that made a huge difference was the solution being used. Typically you use distilled water and a few drops Johnson baby soap. I found that Expel offers a gel that works great. It allows a greater working time and seems to dry and leave no residue under the film. Just a FYI, use what your comfortable with.

Sponsored

HeHateMe

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Hyundai Palisade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I applied the XPel Armor Vinyl to mine Iā€™d guess about 12 months or so back.
It has definitely done its job.
One single rock penetrated it in one spot, all others have bounced off.
Touched it up with a Sharpie.

I do have a few spots above where it stops now, but unless I went up to the door handles with itā€¦

Bought directly from their site.

Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY IMG_5721.JPG

Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY IMG_5721.JPG

This looks similar to what I mentioned earlier?

Any issues with peeling?

OP
OP
los7883

los7883

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Corvette
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Made it to Oklahoma, got peppered by a few trucks but no hard rock hits. Yā€™all werenā€™t kidding when you said these tires love gravel! Fortunately I have my side steps and then the 3M film on all four lower doors so I think Iā€™m good to go.
Ford Bronco 3M PPF film added to lower doors for extra protection - DIY 504A2325-EDC7-4BF8-B14C-BF2CA8AA485F

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I was looking for some 3M film to add to my lower doors as added protection, found a couple places selling pre-cut kits but man they were like $150+. Thought about it and figured sheit the doors are flat enough, what if I try it myself!!! Found some 6ā€x10ā€™ 3M paint protection film on Amazon for $37 and figured Iā€™d give it a try!
I went with STEK PPF, professionally installed, and opted to do the front nose (grille, full hood, full fenders. I debated about the lower doors, thinking about doing right up to the styling crease, but I opted not to, at least for now. Since I have the rock rails and am getting the mud guards, I wasn't sure I needed to go with it. Plus, I wanted an invisible look (my installer doesn't use pre-cut kits and completely wraps everything around, so there are no visible lines or edges). STEK isn't cheap, so I had to draw the line somewhere. :)

I had 3M VentureShield on our other car and was completely happy with that, so if you got a good grade of PPF, I'm sure you'll be happy as long as you don't get a rock where the PPF isn't! šŸ˜

PVB90

Base
First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have applied PPF to all of my vehicles and one trick I have discovered that made a huge difference was the solution being used. Typically you use distilled water and a few drops Johnson baby soap. I found that Expel offers a gel that works great. It allows a greater working time and seems to dry and leave no residue under the film. Just a FYI, use what your comfortable with.
In regards to using the Xpel installation gel, is this a one stop solution? Seeing videos of people installing PPF using both a slip solution and a tack solution... Would Xpel's gel effectively act as both?
Sponsored