First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
My shocks showed up today and I got the rears in. Hopefully I'll get the fronts and UCAs in tomorrow.

King's as-delivered next to factory Big Bend Hitachi rear:
Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_192052268

There were no instructions, so this is how the resi mounts go in back. Much easier installing before the shock:
Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_202454588

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_201943426

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_202004060
Sponsored

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
One thing that I initially just didn't like, but now it's a real issue, is where the front reservoirs are supposed to go.

The DV8 front skid plate won't allow them to mount up close. Flipping the mounts around puts them out in harms way.

Fabtech's mounts put the resi aft of the strut, but they don't have adjusters.

I'm going to have to mess around with this a bit and find a good solution.

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_220612848

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
What UCA did you get and are you getting rear lower links too?

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What UCA did you get and are you getting rear lower links too?
I went with Icon tubular steel and Delta joint Pro (not sure if there's a non-pro Bronco UCA? 🤷🏻‍♂️ ). 5 year warranty sold me on that one.

I've been contemplating what to do with the ass end's link set up. Does it really need fixing for my trail use? Am I not getting the articulation I should due to the rubber bushings?

I'm only sitting about where a SAS suspension would be, and don't plan on going any higher (I like my 35's).

When I get the King's settled in and put it on the alignment rack will determine what's next. For now, I'm not ordering any more parts. lol

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing that I initially just didn't like, but now it's a real issue, is where the front reservoirs are supposed to go.

The DV8 front skid plate won't allow them to mount up close. Flipping the mounts around puts them out in harms way.

Fabtech's mounts put the resi aft of the strut, but they don't have adjusters.

I'm going to have to mess around with this a bit and find a good solution.

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220803_220612848
Here is a solution from another thread

Sponsored
OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

My shocks showed up today and I got the rears in. Hopefully I'll get the fronts and UCAs in tomorrow.

King's as-delivered next to factory Big Bend Hitachi rear:
PXL_20220803_192052268.jpg

There were no instructions, so this is how the resi mounts go in back. Much easier installing before the shock:
PXL_20220803_202454588.jpg

PXL_20220803_201943426.jpg

PXL_20220803_202004060.jpg
I’m sure you have but double check for contract on the resi. Space gets tight in a hurry. This was stationary and not fully flexed just as high as I had available. If your not doing extreme flexing I’m sure you’ll be fine
Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed 56859A9C-794C-43AC-94A2-D0FE77D5BE7C
Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed C26C5EEB-8D2C-433D-AB4D-DEEDCD164D66

VoltageDrop

Base
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I went with Icon tubular steel and Delta joint Pro (not sure if there's a non-pro Bronco UCA? 🤷🏻‍♂️ ). 5 year warranty sold me on that one.

I've been contemplating what to do with the ass end's link set up. Does it really need fixing for my trail use? Am I not getting the articulation I should due to the rubber bushings?

I'm only sitting about where a SAS suspension would be, and don't plan on going any higher (I like my 35's).

When I get the King's settled in and put it on the alignment rack will determine what's next. For now, I'm not ordering any more parts. lol
King stuff is so sexy! I'll be interested to hear a ride quality report on those rears with the dual rate springs because the stock setup feels a bit stiff with no load in the back.

Since front flex is fairly limited, I too wonder about optimizing the rear flex. Have you seen any numbers on articulation gains when going with an aftermarket joint? I figure most people just do it for bling but I'd consider upgrading the rear links if there are real gains to be had.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
King stuff is so sexy! I'll be interested to hear a ride quality report on those rears with the dual rate springs because the stock setup feels a bit stiff with no load in the back.

Since front flex is fairly limited, I too wonder about optimizing the rear flex. Have you seen any numbers on articulation gains when going with an aftermarket joint? I figure most people just do it for bling but I'd consider upgrading the rear links if there are real gains to be had.
I was pretty impressed by the gains the Fabtech kit had, but they weren't too interested in sending me one (sitting on my money, yes). 🙄 Thus ultimately it came down to Fox and King, and I was able to source this set 3 months sooner than anyone could even guess I might see the Fox DSCs. There's a good chance we'll have snow in October, so I'd rather not be doing a suspension swap in my driveway then. And of course, the King's are super sexy. 🤤

I don't have a forklift like some of the 'tubers, but I do have 4000lb lift capacity on my tractor's FEL. I'll be sure to post flex pics when I make it to the farm next.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well, with a little creative engineering, I was able to modify the reservoir brackets to mount to the top of the crash bar mounts, tucking the resi's nicely up behind the bumper.

My first attempt was to have the resi's follow the frame line but between the chassis and body mount. It just wasn't a good fit as there's a flange that's in the worst spot and prevents the bracket from fitting.

The "fix" just required one hole to move the bracket over, and then cutting off the "extra hole" point of the bracket. Once in location, I used an adjustable wrench to bend the bracket down about 10°, then put the aluminum collar mount on. The brackets are hot dipped or some such mild steel, so I shot the new hole and cut end with some black paint.

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220804_202659111

I did trim the fender liner a bit to make a hole as well.

The lower OEM shock studs are the same size as the crash bar bolts, so I used those nyloc nuts to secure the bolts King provided. Too easy! 😎

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220804_210333134

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220804_212416100

I still need to finish greasing everything, but she's installed.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I like that work around! Solid part to mount to that’s not going to flex. I’m interested to see what you think of the icons as I believe Bigmeatsbronco swapped them back out as they did not articulate as well as he hoped or even the stock setup. Not sure Indic an find his thread on it.

OP
OP
Just_Jim

Just_Jim

Big Bend
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I almost forgot. Stock fronts vs Kings:

Ford Bronco King 2.5 Bronco kit installed PXL_20220804_193001820

I took a little jaunt out on some gravel roads (I live in the boonies and my in-laws farm is on one as well) and really like the improved suspension of the King's. I used to feel like I was driving on ball bearing or marbles while doing 45mph on the class 5 gravel. Now I'm very comfortable pushing 60mph without telling like I'm one section of washboard from going in the ditch.

The constant nose diving is also a thing of the past.

First impression is that King lived up to their hype 👍

IwannaGOfast

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 Ranger Long Travel, 2014 Cruze Commuter
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I like that work around! Solid part to mount to that’s not going to flex. I’m interested to see what you think of the icons as I believe Bigmeatsbronco swapped them back out as they did not articulate as well as he hoped or even the stock setup. Not sure Indic an find his thread on it.
@BigMeatsBronco had the fabtech upper arms with a uniball. The uniball cup was the limiting factor with his setup. The icons on the OP's bronco have the delta joint, which is basically a hybrid between a uniball and ball joint. It's a high angled heavy duty ball joint.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@BigMeatsBronco had the fabtech upper arms with a uniball. The uniball cup was the limiting factor with his setup. The icons on the OP's bronco have the delta joint, which is basically a hybrid between a uniball and ball joint. It's a high angled heavy duty ball joint.
Thank you! As I didn’t find the thread. Still would like the input in how they do.
Sponsored