First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I ordered this setup about a month prior to the delivery of our First Edition, back in Nov of 2021. Fast forward to January 2023 and they’re finally on the work bench. These shocks were #1 on my mod list, but the most recent one completed.

I put the Bronco up in the air and over the course of three weekends I disassembled the front suspension and removed the Bilstein shocks from the rear. I don’t have big blocks of time to throw at projects like this anymore so that’s the explanation for the three weekends. Also, King shipped these with incorrect upper mounts for the front shocks. Overall, it probably took 4 hours to perform all of the work, aside from the alignment.

Install is straight forward. No crazy tools or spring compressors required. A lift definitely makes it easier. Maybe a third hand, here and there, may be needed.

The best part of the King 2.5 install is that it leveled the Bronco back out. Prior to, it had a serious rake due to the WARN winch install. There’s ~1” lift all around. Ride height can be adjusted, if so desired. Right now, these are set where King set them when they shipped.

The ride, on surface roads, is, for the most part unchanged. We have some sweet powerline trails near the house that I’m itching to take a rip on and dial in the dampening. Really nothing bad to say. Easy install. 100% on quality. They look cool. That’s always a plus. Now the Bronco sits level. Couldn’t be happier with them. 🙂

72DF38A0-8FCA-4CC9-BCC4-383F4244EE92.jpeg

2986EC99-F839-4F4C-BF29-9916562E0DC2.jpeg

993D313E-CE8A-4BDE-BA2F-6A930AC86BDB.jpeg

AC60BC0E-E744-4671-BBAF-52D10843134A.jpeg

84F9C2BD-33AA-4CB4-805B-72A8B31A4EBD.jpeg

Sponsored

projectbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Good install. I installed my Kings in the middle of summer outdoors. Because of the heat, I had to wait until I had shade and even then, I had limited time to perform the install because I would run out of daylight. Because of this, I did the fronts one weekend and the rears the following weekend.

I will say, HUGE difference from the Kings and Bilstein. Although the ride overall is very similar, they would take dips on roads very differently. The week that I had Kings up front and Bilsteins in the rear I took note on the difference. When the front would hit this dip on my way to work in the morning, the front would hit it very smooth and barely noticeable. A split second later, the back end would hit this dip and rattle the whole car to hell.

A week later, I installed the Kings on the rear and the whole ride smoothed out. Now I even gun it when I am approaching this dip and its barely even noticeable.

Wolfeman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered this setup about a month prior to the delivery of our First Edition, back in Nov of 2021. Fast forward to January 2023 and they’re finally on the work bench. These shocks were #1 on my mod list, but the most recent one completed.

I put the Bronco up in the air and over the course of three weekends I disassembled the front suspension and removed the Bilstein shocks from the rear. I don’t have big blocks of time to throw at projects like this anymore so that’s the explanation for the three weekends. Also, King shipped these with incorrect upper mounts for the front shocks. Overall, it probably took 4 hours to perform all of the work, aside from the alignment.

Install is straight forward. No crazy tools or spring compressors required. A lift definitely makes it easier. Maybe a third hand, here and there, may be needed.

The best part of the King 2.5 install is that it leveled the Bronco back out. Prior to, it had a serious rake due to the WARN winch install. There’s ~1” lift all around. Ride height can be adjusted, if so desired. Right now, these are set where King set them when they shipped.

The ride, on surface roads, is, for the most part unchanged. We have some sweet powerline trails near the house that I’m itching to take a rip on and dial in the dampening. Really nothing bad to say. Easy install. 100% on quality. They look cool. That’s always a plus. Now the Bronco sits level. Couldn’t be happier with them. 🙂

Ford Bronco KING 2.5 PERFORMANCE SERIES INSTALL IMG_9760.MOV

Looks great. What size tires?

TX21BRONC

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Hemi, Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Kings are great but be careful if you add any substantial weight to the rear of your Bronco. I had to upgrade my main spring and still need to change out the top spring. In stock King configuration and with all the drawers, fridge and shelf I have mounted in the rear of my Bronco, I was squatted real bad. I had to change out the factory King springs with heavier type. I have heard that some people with aftermarket bumpers and bigger tires are having a similar issue. Also, if you have any weird squeaking sound from the back, you may need to bend out the resi mounting bracket a bit. My resi was rubbing on the plastic fender liner and making a squeak every time I got into my Bronco.

OP
OP
EIGHTLUG

EIGHTLUG

First Edition
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G2 Raptor, GT350, Land Rover SERIES and DEFENDER
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
The Kings are great but be careful if you add any substantial weight to the rear of your Bronco. I had to upgrade my main spring and still need to change out the top spring. In stock King configuration and with all the drawers, fridge and shelf I have mounted in the rear of my Bronco, I was squatted real bad. I had to change out the factory King springs with heavier type. I have heard that some people with aftermarket bumpers and bigger tires are having a similar issue. Also, if you have any weird squeaking sound from the back, you may need to bend out the resi mounting bracket a bit. My resi was rubbing on the plastic fender liner and making a squeak every time I got into my Bronco.
Ahh, yeah. The fit was a little wonky on all of my res brackets and I had to put some custom angles into them to make everything clear properly. Good call out!

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the ride height. ;)

Sponsored

jasonf

First Edition
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
f150
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I also had to change to higher spring rates in front and rear - only because added weight

Rwhite692

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Blazer, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

....... Also, King shipped these with incorrect upper mounts for the front shocks.....
Thank you for the summary of your install experience, I have a set of these arriving Monday, and it would sure be nice if I could inspect them for the incorrect upper mount condition that you had, before tearing into the install....Can you elaborate on what was wrong, and what to look for? Thanks! -Rob

Ctholl

Black Diamond
First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jk wrangler (bronco on order)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Off subject but what kind of steps did you put on there? Looks like possibly just added to the existing rock rails??? Assuming it may have been a custom job but if it's something you purchased please share :)

Rwhite692

Wildtrak
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Blazer, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Off subject but what kind of steps did you put on there? Looks like possibly just added to the existing rock rails??? Assuming it may have been a custom job but if it's something you purchased please share :)
Those are from Archetype Racing, OP's company.

Sponsored

Nchiappetta5

Outer Banks
First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4-door Bronco OBX SAS 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@EIGHTLUG do you have plans of changing the UCA's? do you think it would be necessary to get the full performance out of the kings? thinking about pulling the trigger on these.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

@EIGHTLUG do you have plans of changing the UCA's? do you think it would be necessary to get the full performance out of the kings? thinking about pulling the trigger on these.

Not answering for him, just my own experience.
So far I have retained the stock UCAs due to the great range of motion and clearance they have, as well as being able to align to proper specs. My Bronco sits at 26.5 inches, center axle to metal fender and will go to full droop at 29.75 inches, center axle to metal fender, without being limited by the stock UCAs. There are some replacement UCAs that have less range of motion than the stock ones, so choose wisely if and when you do change yours.

If the stock UCA did bind or not allow proper alignment specs, I would definitely be replacing mine. I may still replace them in the future, but for now they are good enough. Many people replace them automatically because so many other vehicles UCAs are poorly designed and not made to be lifted. The bronco UCAs are some of the best stock UCAs I've seen.

Last edited: