First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I see a lot of people talking about tuning the 2.7 and I wonder how viable that option is going to be. It's getting difficult to get diesel tuners due the EPA going after companies selling tunes/tuners. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for gas engines if the tuning affects the emission controls in any way and it's hard to imagine it won't. So yeah you could tune the 2.7 to compete with the Wrangler 392 but you'd have no warranty and may run afoul of emissions testing if you live in a state where it's required. Not to mention that the extra power you get out of the 2.7 is not likely to play nice with the transmission for long leading to more expenses. In the end if you want raw horsepower the Wrangler 392 is probably the best bet.
Sponsored

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Don't laugh too much though, because if Jeep sells a few of those, that'll just give Ford the idea they can raise their prices :(
But with a v8?

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I see a lot of people talking about tuning the 2.7 and I wonder how viable that option is going to be. It's getting difficult to get diesel tuners due the EPA going after companies selling tunes/tuners. I don't know why they wouldn't do the same for gas engines if the tuning affects the emission controls in any way and it's hard to imagine it won't. So yeah you could tune the 2.7 to compete with the Wrangler 392 but you'd have no warranty and may run afoul of emissions testing if you live in a state where it's required. Not to mention that the extra power you get out of the 2.7 is not likely to play nice with the transmission for long leading to more expenses. In the end if you want raw horsepower the Wrangler 392 is probably the best bet.
Are you aware of Ford Performance packs? Come with warranty, and take a look at F150 2.7L tunes, the transmissions are built to handle more power than the Bronco will generate.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf

OP
OP
HankG13

HankG13

Outer Banks
First Name
Hank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Subaru WRX, 1990 Mustang LX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Sponsored

DeltaBravo

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Delta
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MIKES MOM
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Can’t wait to see the 10k market adjustment price....

MLRey

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 18 Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Are you aware of Ford Performance packs? Come with warranty, and take a look at F150 2.7L tunes, the transmissions are built to handle more power than the Bronco will generate.
https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/PDFS/fpp-warranty.pdf
Thanks that's interesting. Looked at the tunes for the Ranger, not a huge boost but not bad. I'm most familiar with diesel tuning and that's getting really hard to do unless its "race only". Even then they're cracking down on the tuners.
Sponsored