Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Flippin awesome imo.
Agreed this is such an interesting feature. There just hasn't been all that much yet in terms of details or videos of panel removal (at least that I could find). But it could open lots of options for aftermarket and easier panel replacement if needed.
Sponsored

Dillhole

Base
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Jeep Wrangler 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
Down the road future owners will love the aluminum body panels. Speaking as the owner of an old aluminum body Land Rover, the body panels (other than dents) are mostly like they left the factory in 1972. On the other hand, my steel body 1985 CJ-7 is rusting to pieces.

Unfortunately I think the underbody of the new Bronco is still steel, and so will need to keep an eye on that down the road for rust. But at least the aluminum doors and some other panels will hold up better in terms of rust.
I was really hoping the whole tub was going to be aluminium for that very reason. It's a lot easier to keep the sides of a vehicle clean from road salt vs the underbody where the real damaging rust occurs. And even wheeling, all that mud cakes underneath and speeds up rust if not cleaned up.

But hey 40 years from now when people are pulling these Gen 6er's out of barns they'll only need new floor pans.

FJ 432

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As an old auto damage claims adjuster I have to say that this feature is relatively unique.
The quarter panels are usually considered a structural component to absorb a rear impact. In the case of a unibody constructed vehicle with no rear sub frame, the quarters are the crash protectors to absorb the energy and keep it from transferring into the passenger compartment.
Body on frame vehicles have the frame rails to take the blunt of the energy but even they usually use the quarters (in some cases the bedside panels) for better crash ratings by welding them on. There are exceptions of course.

This means to me (especially the 2 door with its' short wheelbase) that Ford has some faith in their Boron steel roll bars. And it certainly opens the doors for A/M companies to provide variations and/or cheaper crash parts.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I love this. Anyone with a big enough 3D printer can make a Saturn-like non-rusting front or rear fender out of whatever color they like. Killer!
Sounds good, but just promise me not these sort of fender/body panels. This model YJ was a bit of a jump the shark moment for Jeep, lol.

Ford Bronco A look at the bolt on removable quarter panels of 2021 Bronco 1601304404700

Rivers90

Base
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
xterra mx5
Your Bronco Model
Base
This really is very cool. Easier repair and all kinds of options for the aftermarket.

I had seen the white bronco disability but I had thought it was more of a concept and I did not think the back quarter panel was removable on the real production Bronco.

There are so many great things about the bronco we will still be finding out about them a year from now.

Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep YJ, Ford Fiesta ST, Mazda CX-5
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I bet that Bushwacker/Lund will have something like that.
Funny you say that. As I typed that I was totally picturing bushwacker bolt on flares in my mind.

Last edited:

Shotsy

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Ford Bronco, '18 BMW m240i, '04 Honda Element
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Should also help chop shops steal your crap! :p

In all seriousness, wonder if this will make the Bronco a higher target for stealing...

Last edited:

Slyder

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 KTM 1290R
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As an old auto damage claims adjuster I have to say that this feature is relatively unique.
The quarter panels are usually considered a structural component to absorb a rear impact. In the case of a unibody constructed vehicle with no rear sub frame, the quarters are the crash protectors to absorb the energy and keep it from transferring into the passenger compartment.
Body on frame vehicles have the frame rails to take the blunt of the energy but even they usually use the quarters (in some cases the bedside panels) for better crash ratings by welding them on. There are exceptions of course.

This means to me (especially the 2 door with its' short wheelbase) that Ford has some faith in their Boron steel roll bars. And it certainly opens the doors for A/M companies to provide variations and/or cheaper crash parts.
As a former Auto Body refinish & repair tech, I feel the same way.

It's just a matter of time before we see flared or wide-body aftermarket replacements that can replace the factory flare + fender.

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The smart play will be having a set of "off-road" panels to bolt on before heading out. Save your factory painted stuff for the street. None of the factory replacement panels will come painted. The aftermarket will be either white or black gel coat or possible carbon fiber.
Just because they’re bolt on doesn’t mean they’re easily swapped out, just means they’re not welded. There will still be a significant amount of work involved in removing and reinstalling the panel.

Sponsored

DrJekyl

Wildtrak
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This is how trucks used to be built. I rebuilt a 65 GMC once and you could literally assemble the body with a 1/2 wrench and some time. The build won't be as tight this way but it will be much friendlier to mods and repairs.

TNcoupe

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands, 1970 Bronco, 1955 T Bird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Trophy truck fenders.....:oops:

IARubicon

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
As long as easily-removed panels don't translate into parts that vibrate loose when they aren't supposed to...

PDiddy

Black Diamond
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds good, but just promise me not these sort of fender/body panels. This model YJ was a bit of a jump the shark moment for Jeep, lol.

Ford Bronco A look at the bolt on removable quarter panels of 2021 Bronco 1601304404700
This sums up 80's cars. LOL
Sponsored