Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Took a trip out to Wolf Caves in Central Texas, which is not far from the Texas Off Roadeo. About halfway I determined they aren't open on Sundays, but decided to go out anyway just to see what I could see.

Instead, Kurt the owner gave me a personal tour of the park in his sxs. It was eye opening, to say the least.

For instance, there is no park road, but there is a dirt road with hard 3/10's and 4/10's. That's the easy route.

Although there is quite a bit more than what you see in the videos, this place is a crawlers heaven. The eroded marble is no joke; I would wear jeans to protect you if you fall.

If you want to go, know that

- A minimum of two rigs go out, park rules. Nobody wheels by themselves out there.
- There is a LOT of grip and little drops/places for tires to bind. HOSS 3.0 and preferably a billet rack is highly recommended. This place eats weak tie rods and steering rack housings.
- Frame mounted sliders and a steel transmission pan are highly recommended. Think like the Next Venture sliders with UHMW. The Next Venture belly plates with UHMW are going to do best.
- You're on the rocks most of the time; the trails are in the rocks.
- Four doors do better because of all the rock splits you can span. This is somewhere two doors are actually less effective without a lot of clearance and you're still not doing difficult stuff due to the tip over risk.
- The spectating is unreal, just watch the video below. However, you also need to keep yourself safe. Rigs turn over doing this stuff.
- There really is no easy way through it, and no non-Sas or otherwise unlifted rig should even try. Kurt suggests 3.5" on a stock Jeep, although I don't know if that refers to pure clearance or not. Also, 35's or better yet 37's to 40's.
- Going will be slow even on the easy route unless you're skilled and/or ready to scrape. Expect to be winched since getting high centered is easy to do.
- Kurt made ample reference to gravity going downhill being your friend. What most people would call a small car accident is how the crawler rigs get down. This is also true of the easy route to a lesser extent.

Very cool place, one that crawlers come from all over (he had a group from Minnesota while I was there). Kurt is very friendly and chatty and the place has an interesting history. He's also a quintessential country guy from Texas, so he's a bit of a character.

But wheeling here is no joke. Until I get sliders and a transmission plate, I may go out but try to get a group there to take me out.

Enjoy and happy wheeling!

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1801.JPG

This is part of the easy route. We used all the plates and sliders probably a dozen times, and banged hard twice. I mean, hard.

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1802.JPG

Part of the simpler easy route.

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1803.JPG
Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1805.JPG

There are parts he went on routinely that were like this photo, although I think we were on a different trail. There's also some scenic outlooks.

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1806.JPG

Further in the back, those are the "wolf caves", which is what Kurt's father or grandfather referred to in the gaps in the rocks where various animals made dens. There are no caves.

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1807.JPG

One gold star for the first person to say why this is called TRex.

Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas IMG_1809.JPG

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for write up. Can I ride with when you get your portals??
Sure. You gonna have some lift by then? lol Basically I'd need at least one other willing participant who will take their rig out there.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My neighbor trailers his Jeep out there and almost always comes back broken. It’s definitely tough. Tougher than Hidden Falls because there aren’t easy bypasses like HF has to get around the hard stuff. Also tough because it’s mostly granite instead of limestone. I haven’t been out there because they don’t generally allow side by sides which is what I crawl with currently. My wife’s Jeep is a mall crawler lol. I have a Bronco on order btw.

JRMFFL531

Wildtrak
First Name
J.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Sure. You gonna have some lift by then? lol Basically I'd need at least one other willing participant who will take their rig out there.
I’m down.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So are you saying my non-sasquatch OBX has no chance?

MannyG20

Badlands
First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After watching the video my non-sas Badlands has no chance. I image I would burn the clutch out before I got halfway up the first run.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think if you turn up with less than 35" tires and/or less than enough lift/clearance, Kurt may need to be convinced to let you go out. I think the sxs we rode in had 12-13" of clearance and we bumped and scraped many times.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think if you turn up with less than 35" tires and/or less than enough lift/clearance, Kurt may need to be convinced to let you go out. I think the sxs we rode in had 12-13" of clearance and we bumped and scraped many times.
I would not blame anyone for making reasonable requirements. I was planning on 34's for my next set of tires, but I could be convinced to go 35's.

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would not blame anyone for making reasonable requirements. I was planning on 34's for my next set of tires, but I could be convinced to go 35's.
I mean, you've got sets of tires for everything else? Get some rock crawlers! Interested to hear what you'd be looking at.

Sponsored
OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Surprised nobody's figured out why it's called TRex yet... 👀 😁

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP
userdude

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That picture is a good example of the trails, so to speak. Two trails, one "easier", the other you'll get pounded like chicken fried steak. I however cannot see the difference. lol

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You get the ⭐! I didn't think it looked that obvious, but my sister got it right away before I asked.
There are also faces circled in purple. 2 on the right and 1 on the left.
Pareidolia, it's in our nature to look for familiar patterns in objects.
Ford Bronco A trip to Wolf Caves Adventure Park in Mason, Texas TREX1.JPG
Sponsored