Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the clarification, my blurry eyes saw class 2 and thought it wasn't. Now if the rack will clear the spare.
Yep, 2” Class II…. Just like the Jeep.

(Receiver size is not as tightly linked to Class rating as a lot of people believe.)
Sponsored

BroncoAZ

Badlands
First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Badlands manual, 2021 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the factory option Ford system comes pre wired and pre installed with all harnesses, & modules. You’ll have to hack into the factory wiring harnesses (by cutting/ splicing/ soldering or god forbid doing what most hacks will do and using”scotch locks”) to add it later if you want trailer lights. It would appear at this point that you can’t or at least can’t easily add the factory setup after the fact. Certainly not as easy as buying a pigtail or jumper harness.

if you just want a hitch for a bike rack or something then I’d say it’ll be cheaper to go aftermarket. If you think you might EVER want to use trailer wiring then I’d recommend just ordering the factory installed option.

Unless of course you don’t care about tapping into your factory wiring. My ocd is driving me crazy about cutting into the wiring on an expensive new vehicle when the option is there to have it all plug & play from day 1
Judging by how temperamental the electrical system is in the Raptor, I’m not comfortable tapping in to the factory wiring harness for anything. Guys who were tapping into the high beam circuit to activate light bar relays were ending up with bricked body control modules. The electrical system was so sensitive that if it detected too high of a current draw it would eventually cut off that circuit, requiring a replacement module. Hopefully the Bronco is different, but I’ll be keeping the tow package on my order as I’ll need the 7 pin for my small boat.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

the factory option Ford system comes pre wired and pre installed with all harnesses, & modules. You’ll have to hack into the factory wiring harnesses (by cutting/ splicing/ soldering or god forbid doing what most hacks will do and using”scotch locks”) to add it later if you want trailer lights. It would appear at this point that you can’t or at least can’t easily add the factory setup after the fact. Certainly not as easy as buying a pigtail or jumper harness.

if you just want a hitch for a bike rack or something then I’d say it’ll be cheaper to go aftermarket. If you think you might EVER want to use trailer wiring then I’d recommend just ordering the factory installed option.

Unless of course you don’t care about tapping into your factory wiring. My ocd is driving me crazy about cutting into the wiring on an expensive new vehicle when the option is there to have it all plug & play from day 1
No hack and slash will be required if you wait a bit. Most wiring kits include plug and play at the sockets on the lamps. Will include the box that resolves the issue with separate brake and turn signals. I’ve done it several times over that past 50 years. The boxes are prone to failure but……..about 50$ on eTrailer or Amazon.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don’t currently have a tow package on my build but I do have the MIC top and Lux package so I’m getting more realistic that I’ll probably receive a 22. I always thought towing might be nice to have but that I could add it down the line… I’ve realized if I’m shelling out this much money and waiting so long I might as well get what I want from the jump.
is there an aesthetic difference (or any difference) in getting a tow kit in my build vs down the line?
Pulled the tow pkg from my build as well, then purchased the dealer installed hitch and harness from the accessories list. Dealer will install it along with several other accessories I ordered once the Bronco arrives. Dealer indicates they receive parts from the accessories list regularly so it just made sense to remove as many obstacles as possible from the build in order to increase the likelihood of a September build.

BigFootie

Heritage
First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 ES-350, 2022 Badlands Sport, 2023 Heritage Ed
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

For those that don’t know, the 7 pin round connector adds +12v, backup light connection, and electric brake connection to the standard connections that come with a flat bar 4 connector.

Sponsored

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This.(y)

I bought the Jeep kit for my Wrangler because I didn't want to cut into the wiring. It wasn't exacty easy to do the wiring portion but I didn't have to cut or splice anything, and I would not want to on any brand new vehicle!

TheWoo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Pulled the tow pkg from my build as well, then purchased the dealer installed hitch and harness from the accessories list. Dealer will install it along with several other accessories I ordered once the Bronco arrives. Dealer indicates they receive parts from the accessories list regularly so it just made sense to remove as many obstacles as possible from the build in order to increase the likelihood of a September build.
Just to make sure it's known - the dealer-installed hitch won't include the trailer brake controller harness and, potentially, not the 12V (I'm not sure on that). Just want to make sure people considering this option know there are trade-offs.

Mjtermini

Badlands
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just to make sure it's known - the dealer-installed hitch won't include the trailer brake controller harness and, potentially, not the 12V (I'm not sure on that). Just want to make sure people considering this option know there are trade-offs.
Correct

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I’ll have to look into those! I’ve never owned such a customizable car before. I’m excited about the options but my poor bank account is not lol

Well, my Jeep is Just Empty Every Pocket, and my boat is Break Out Another Thousand, wonder what the Bronco will be? :ROFLMAO:

goatman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch of Jeeps
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Don't know the answer to this, but folks will want 12v to the trailer if the small travel trailer has a battery that needs to be recharged while driving. Also, that 12v connection needs to be isolated from the Bronco's battery, which will come with a factory harness. Not sure how the Bronco does it with dealer installed or aftermarket harness kits. Something to check out and be aware off. In Ford pickups, for a very long time, a battery isolator was standard equipment. Don't want to run down the car battery with the trailers interior lights.

Sponsored

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It seems odd that Ford is making a different wiring harness for with and without tow package. Not to mention the differences by trim package. That seems like a really expensive operation at the assembly of these vehicles just for the tow pack. . Why go to that effort?
Maybe someone with factory tow could do some exploratory digging and see how the tow wiring is done at the factory level.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It seems odd that Ford is making a different wiring harness for with and without tow package. Not to mention the differences by trim package. That seems like a really expensive operation at the assembly of these vehicles just for the tow pack. . Why go to that effort?
Maybe someone with factory tow could do some exploratory digging and see how the tow wiring is done at the factory level.
Have you priced copper lately. I think that this is the doing of the bean counters.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

that would be nice if it were true. & I hope you are correct but unfortunately, I do not think that you are. I’ve got a 4 door first edition on the way next month (of all the nonsense, I’m supposed to get EVERY option, but yet not allowed to choose factory tow package because of the low GVWR).

It does NOT appear that it’ll just be a “plug and play” affair. The add on trailer tow wiring kit from Ford that is currently listed in the accessories catalog is NOT the same setup you’d get factory installed. It’s a generic kit used on many Ford vehicles is not Bronco specific. It DOES require tapping into wiring.

Ford has no incentive to make individual harnesses for each vehicle, so of course they only offer a generic harness that requires shop time to install. I won't be looking to Ford for the solution. Curt will most likely have a plug and play solution soon, as they already have one for the Sport.
Now of course, all I'm talking about is the 4 pin harness for lights. You want more than that, then it will be more involved.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, my Jeep is Just Empty Every Pocket, and my boat is Break Out Another Thousand, wonder what the Bronco will be? :ROFLMAO:
Bronco
Broke Ruined Overlooked Now Costly Ownership

M&M Beer

Outer Banks
First Name
Marty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Edge-F-150 Supercrew
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Trailer brake in accessories now too.
Sponsored