Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

It seems odd that Ford is making a different wiring harness for with and without tow package. Not to mention the differences by trim package. That seems like a really expensive operation at the assembly of these vehicles just for the tow pack. . Why go to that effort?
Maybe someone with factory tow could do some exploratory digging and see how the tow wiring is done at the factory level.

Cheaper in the long run to have different harnesses. Ford deals in volume and the long game.
Sponsored

rdass623

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road, Fiat 124 Abarth
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don't see why (with the right modifications) it couldn't pull 7500 lbs just like the ranger. It all comes down to the suspension and the hitch.
the suspension, hitch, trans cooler, engine oil cooler, and brakes all come into play when towing.

Bodge Garage

Badlands
First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1994 Land Rover Discovery, Jeep Gladiator
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cheaper in the long run to have different harnesses. Ford deals in volume and the long game.
Maybe one of the people with access to the parts manual can verify how many different looms there are and see the split for tow package?

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Yeah, going over the hitch/recommended tow capacity will require modifications. Tow your jet ski no big deal...
Jetskis and Home Depot runs are going to be the main job - so that works perfectly! Thank you!

OP
OP
MConn

MConn

Outer Banks
First Name
Shel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Murano
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Pulled the tow pkg from my build as well, then purchased the dealer installed hitch and harness from the accessories list. Dealer will install it along with several other accessories I ordered once the Bronco arrives. Dealer indicates they receive parts from the accessories list regularly so it just made sense to remove as many obstacles as possible from the build in order to increase the likelihood of a September build.
this makes a lot of sense - is it comparable cost?

Sponsored

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Kia Borrego, 2012 Chevy Cruze, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Just saw my first one IRL and it was on the top deck of a transport truck so got good shots underneath. There's room for a more robust reciever attached to the frame rails, but it would likely need some minor adjustment to the muffler and exhaust tip.

20210722_094953.jpg

20210722_095012.jpg

gocats132

Base
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am looking at the accessories list and I only see the 4 pin trailer hitch wiring harness and a curt hitch shackle kit. I do not see any trailer brakes or class 3 hitch. Maybe I'm searching incorrectly, I've never had to buy this kind of stuff before. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would like to have the stuff waiting when my Bronco arrives.

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I am looking at the accessories list and I only see the 4 pin trailer hitch wiring harness and a curt hitch shackle kit. I do not see any trailer brakes or class 3 hitch. Maybe I'm searching incorrectly, I've never had to buy this kind of stuff before. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would like to have the stuff waiting when my Bronco arrives.
There's no Class III reciever available yet, but I am hoping one gets developed soon. There is a brake controller but I don't know where to find it. There are other threads in the towing section dedicated to the wiring, which does not look easy, especially if you want to add a functioning seven pin receptacle for trailer brakes.

sasquatchrox

Badlands
First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mini Cooper, Audi Allroad, Bronco-II (past)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Good conversation thx! My 4-dr BL is "supposed" to be built next Friday 9/3 and super excited; I did a MIC delete and a Tow pkg delete to see if it improved my odds; in retrospect, should have kept the Tow and hoped for the best ;-). In any case, since my use-case is only to support a heavy duty Hollywood eBike rack, I will aftermarket it and not install wiring.

I see the OEM part and my dealer of course doesn't discount but the local Lasco Ford, Lasco parts has discounting and local pick-up if I want. The part number is: MB3Z-19D520-A ; MSRP is $350 and they have it for $269.50; the full URL is:

https://www.lascoautoparts.com/oem-...vJnk9MjAyMSZ0PWJhZGxhbmRzJmU9Mi0zbC1sNC1nYXM=

The description and pics are not really there and I called them and the friendly parts dude answered my Q's and then emailed me the PDF of what it looks like and what's included. See pic below. He stated that the stuff with the golden/yellow little square symbol is what's included. My only open query is that it shows the long bolt but only one of them; I'm "sure" there will be (4) included.

Ford Bronco Adding a tow package aftermarket 1630111616162

Hope this helps all of you.

Cheers.

Sponsored

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trailer brake controller: https://accessories.ford.com/module-trailer-brake-vm2dz-2c006-a.html#2021/Bronco

Lakelife36

Big Bend
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I wouldn't trust that to be more robust than the stock one
It is not, but easier install (no bumper removal) and 1/3 the cost. Good for racks and lite trailers.
Sponsored