Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi Bronco6G

This is my second post here, so hopefully this thread looks and helps as I intend.

I initially wanted to post this thread only once I was complete, but progress is going much better than expected and I thought others might benefit now rather than waiting- that and my projects always shift in priority so Im not sure when I will be able to jump back.

My goal was to add a rear electric locker but have it perform as factory as possible. Additionally, like most of my projects I want to stay as cheap as possible while also allowing me to tinker and learn along the way. So while this path may not be for everyone, it definitely is allowing me to learn as I go.

Ill break the the thread into three sections; User Interface, Electrical and Differential. At the current time of originally posting this, User Interface and Electrical are both done. While the differential install I have all the plans in place and all the materials- I just need to do the work.

Lets got into it…

User Interface:

I purchased a used “Hero” switch with rear locker optinon from eBay for about $60. The install was super easy and I would suggest using some plastic interior pry tools.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707705966893

Next was to work with FORScan to get the switch turning on/off- as it will not just work once installed.

I needed to compare a VIN with rear locker only to my VIN without rear locker and determine which parameters needed to change in FORScan.

I searched for new vehicles at dealerships with rear locker only and pulled their VINs. Then I put my VIN and the other comparing vehicle VINs into this link below to pull the build info:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

I found the only difference between my VIN and a same Bronco with rear locker was as follows:

My vehicle: 703-163-03 0000 0005 04D0

Rear Locker vehicle: 703-163-03 0000 0004 04C0

So I went into FORScan, found the AWD Module Configuration (AS BUILT format) and changed the above.

Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706005706

My Original:
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706034083

After Change:
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706061835

I then loaded the change to the vehicle and check the switch functionality- the switch lit up yellow but just for a few seconds. I suspect the computer pulls power if it does not detect a load- no load because there is no locker installed right now. I still call this a WIN!
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706098176

Electrical:

EDIT: Thanks to another member for the advise, buying a complete rear harness will make this process much easier and for only $114- not a bad option.
The part number of the harness is MB3Z2C011BA.

This is fairly easy now that I, unintentionally, explored all the connectors finding the simplest connector to access is all you need to access. The electrical can be done a number of different ways, again, I tried keeping this looking as factory as possible but you can also splice in your own wiring rather than running it through the below connector- this would be much easier than what I did.

If you follow the electrical harness on the driver-side outer frame-rail it will eventually begin to cross over the exhaust. Before it crosses over to toward the driveshaft there is a connector hidden on the crossmember. You can disconnect the connector and pull both ends down- they are fastened with the push-in clips that are a pain to remove.

Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706139469

In the connector on the frame-rail side you will see two wires that do not extend to the other connector. The ones we are interested in for the locker are Blue/Orange and Green/Brown, they are separated by two other wires.

Here is where you can choose two paths; 1- cut those Blue/Orange and Green/Brown wires and splice in your own wiring to the differential or 2- Add pins to the connector that is missing the wiring- I decided the second option.

I purchased this connector hoping that the pins would work for this application. They were definitely tight but pushing them in with a very thin screwdriver worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HQ5FK14?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

You’ll use two of the pins on the left in the below image.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706182916

With a small screwdriver, remove the black cover on the back of the connector missing the two wires for the locker. Once the cover is removed, gently pry the blue seal out of the way too. Then run your wires through the black cover and through the blue seal. If you are color coding your wires, I kept red to mate with the Blue/Orange wire as this is COIL+ and I had black to mate with the Green/Brown wire as this is COIL-. If you keep color coding consistent here it will help you later with the differential plug. Once you have the pins from the above link crimped to the wires, then you will want to seat them into the connector. I used a very thin screwdriver to press them in- they were tight.

Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706212609

I then reassembled everything in reverse order- blue seal, then back cover.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706241620

I then routed the wires along the harness running to the differential. I finished the wire bundle on the passenger-side of the differential.
You will need to purchase the connector that attaches to the differential. The part number I chose is 645-685. You can find it on amazon for about $15.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706286798

I then spliced the above connector into my wire bundle that I routed to the differential.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706322558

I was then able to connect this pigtail to the e-locker solenoid and confirmed the Hero switch engaged the solenoid.

Video of solenoid engagement with Hero Switch (not sure if this will upload properly):

Differential:

The differential should be fairly simple. You can find factory Ford Ranger electric lockers, even with my 4.46 ratio ring and pinion. I bought mine for roughly $400 with ring and pinion.

Researching the axle lengths I found that I will need different length axles. You can go to Yukon and buy chromoly axles, one of which will have to be cut to length or you can find the right size from a Bronco or Ranger.

Here is the rundown of axle lengths:
Bronco With Electric Locker: Left- 30.8”, Right-32.8”
Ranger With Electric Locker: Left- 31.1”, Right- 32.8”
Bronco W/O Electric Locker: Left- 31.6”, Right- 35.7”
Ranger W/O Electric Locker: Left- 31.9”, Right- 31.9”

I was actually able to find a removed axle from a Bronco (prior owner swapped with an e-locked axle). This axle cost me roughly $600 with; axle housing, differential/pinion (don’t plan to use) and axle shafts. As you can see from the above axle lengths, you can just cut the factory axle (non locked) shafts down to the proper E-locker length- this is what I will be doing.

You will then need a Dana/Spicer differential rebuild kit for the M220 differential. This will come with both the differential carrier bearings and the pinion bearings along with shims, slinger and seals. I think this kit usually runs about $200 but I found someone selling one on eBay for roughly $100.

Before installing the locking differential you will want to buy the differential passthrough connector, you can get this directly through Ford, I found mine on eBay for $25. I had to shave it down a little to fit with the connector routed to the differential.

Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706371142

Then you will have to drill the axle housing to fit this connector. The below picture is a factory installed connector, I will take a picture once I have done this mod.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706401298

I have not started any of the above for the differential but when I do I will be sure to post my progress with pictures.

Total Cost Roll is roughly:

• Hero Switch with Locker $60
  • Pins for Factory Connector $15
  • Wiring Connector $15
  • Differential Connector $25
  • Elocker with 4.46 Ring and Pinion $400
  • Used Axle Assembly $600
  • Differential Rebuild Kit $100
  • Total: $1,215
Replacement full locking differentials are around $2,500, so doing the above "Differential" section will save you about $1,300- Im good with that!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

That looks great - you put a ton into that and it looks good

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great write-up!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Hi Bronco6G

This is my second post here, so hopefully this thread looks and helps as I intend.

I initially wanted to post this thread only once I was complete, but progress is going much better than expected and I thought others might benefit now rather than waiting- that and my projects always shift in priority so Im not sure when I will be able to jump back.

My goal was to add a rear electric locker but have it perform as factory as possible. Additionally, like most of my projects I want to stay as cheap as possible while also allowing me to tinker and learn along the way. So while this path may not be for everyone, it definitely is allowing me to learn as I go.

Ill break the the thread into three sections; User Interface, Electrical and Differential. At the current time of originally posting this, User Interface and Electrical are both done. While the differential install I have all the plans in place and all the materials- I just need to do the work.

Lets got into it…

User Interface:

I purchased a used “Hero” switch with rear locker optinon from eBay for about $60. The install was super easy and I would suggest using some plastic interior pry tools.
Ford Bronco Adding Rear Electric Locking Differential: Factory-ish 1707706401298

Next was to work with FORScan to get the switch turning on/off- as it will not just work once installed.

I needed to compare a VIN with rear locker only to my VIN without rear locker and determine which parameters needed to change in FORScan.

I searched for new vehicles at dealerships with rear locker only and pulled their VINs. Then I put my VIN and the other comparing vehicle VINs into this link below to pull the build info:

I found the only difference between my VIN and a same Bronco with rear locker was as follows:

So I went into FORScan, found the AWD Module Configuration (AS BUILT format) and changed the above.

My Original:

After Change:

I then loaded the change to the vehicle and check the switch functionality- the switch lit up yellow but just for a few seconds. I suspect the computer pulls power if it does not detect a load- no load because there is no locker installed right now. I still call this a WIN!

Electrical:

This is fairly easy now that I, unintentionally, explored all the connectors finding the simplest connector to access is all you need to access. The electrical can be done a number of different ways, again, I tried keeping this looking as factory as possible but you can also splice in your own wiring rather than running it through the below connector- this would be much easier than what I did.

If you follow the electrical harness on the driver-side outer frame-rail it will eventually begin to cross over the exhaust. Before it crosses over to toward the driveshaft there is a connector hidden on the crossmember. You can disconnect the connector and pull both ends down- they are fastened with the push-in clips that are a pain to remove.

In the connector on the frame-rail side you will see two wires that do not extend to the other connector. The ones we are interested in for the locker are Blue/Orange and Green/Brown, they are separated by two other wires.

Here is where you can choose two paths; 1- cut those Blue/Orange and Green/Brown wires and splice in your own wiring to the differential or 2- Add pins to the connector that is missing the wiring- I decided the second option.

I purchased this connector hoping that the pins would work for this application. They were definitely tight but pushing them in with a very thin screwdriver worked.

With a small screwdriver, remove the black cover on the back of the connector missing the two wires for the locker. Once the cover is removed, gently pry the blue seal out of the way too. Then run your wires through the black cover and through the blue seal. If you are color coding your wires, I kept red to mate with the Blue/Orange wire as this is COIL+ and I had black to mate with the Green/Brown wire as this is COIL-. If you keep color coding consistent here it will help you later with the differential plug. Once you have the pins from the above link crimped to the wires, then you will want to seat them into the connector. I used a very thin screwdriver to press them in- they were tight.

I then routed the wires along the harness running to the differential. I finished the wire bundle on the passenger-side of the differential.
You will need to purchase the connector that attaches to the differential. The part number I chose is 645-685. You can find it on amazon for about $15.

I then spliced the above connector into my wire bundle that I routed to the differential.

I was then able to connect this pigtail to the e-locker solenoid and confirmed the Hero switch engaged the solenoid.

Video of solenoid engagement with Hero Switch (not sure if this will upload properly):

Differential:

The differential should be fairly simple. You can find factory Ford Ranger electric lockers, even with my 4.46 ratio ring and pinion. I bought mine for roughly $400 with ring and pinion.

Researching the axle lengths I found that I will need different length axles. You can go to Yukon and buy chromoly axles, one of which will have to be cut to length or you can find the right size from a Bronco or Ranger.

I was actually able to find a removed axle from a Bronco (prior owner swapped with an e-locked axle). This axle cost me roughly $600 with; axle housing, differential/pinion (don’t plan to use) and axle shafts. As you can see from the above axle lengths, you can just cut the factory axle (non locked) shafts down to the proper E-locker length- this is what I will be doing.

You will then need a Dana/Spicer differential rebuild kit for the M220 differential. This will come with both the differential carrier bearings and the pinion bearings along with shims, slinger and seals. I think this kit usually runs about $200 but I found someone selling one on eBay for roughly $100.

Before installing the locking differential you will want to buy the differential passthrough connector, you can get this directly through Ford, I found mine on eBay for $25. I had to shave it down a little to fit with the connector routed to the differential.

Then you will have to drill the axle housing to fit this connector. The below picture is a factory installed connector, I will take a picture once I have done this mod.

I have not started any of the above for the differential but when I do I will be sure to post my progress with pictures.

• Wiring Connector $15
Replacement full locking differentials are around $2,500, so doing the above "Differential" section will save you about $1,300- Im good with that!
You're a pretty crafty dude, I hope step #3 goes well for you! Looks like it'll be about the only Bronco out there with a rear Locker only, that's not a 4.27! My real locker on My OBX is the first time I've had. And it's so nice having for driving on beach so it's worth the install it if you have the skill!

MWILD

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 - BB Sasquatch - Mid - 2.7L
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Amazing work and write-up!

Sponsored

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You're a pretty crafty dude, I hope step #3 goes well for you! Looks like it'll be about the only Bronco out there with a rear Locker only, that's not a 4.27! My real locker on My OBX is the first time I've had. And it's so nice having for driving on beach so it's worth the install it if you have the skill!
Not quite. Every Black Diamond non-Squatch is rear locker 4.46.

Jhopkinson

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 OBX 4dr SAS, 22 Base 2dr SAS, 2021 F150 XLT
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wow...great work! Thanks for sharing!!!!

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

srick76

Black Diamond
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, 69 Bronco, Durango RT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Hi Bronco6G

Lets got into it…

User Interface:

My Original:

After Change:

Electrical:

Differential:

• Wiring Connector $15
Excellent work sir! I want to do the same with a front locker but I don't have these skills..I'll prob buy the new front locker/diff from ford and new axles. I was wondering if the ford tuner would turn on the hero switch or how I could do that...your post helps a great deal. Never messed w forscan though.

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Great work and some really useful research! I'm especially interested in the Hero Switch integration. I'm getting ready to finish up a front and rear locker install into my Base non-Sasquatch. I've already bought the stuff to do rocker switches on the center console but I'd much rather use the hero switches like you have done.

Sponsored

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Great second post (y) Thanks for putting in the research & sharing 🤠

GI_Jo_Nathan

Black Diamond
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Iconic Silver 2dr Manual Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Excellent work sir! I want to do the same with a front locker but I don't have these skills..I'll prob buy the new front locker/diff from ford and new axles. I was wondering if the ford tuner would turn on the hero switch or how I could do that...your post helps a great deal. Never messed w forscan though.
Unfortunately they don't provide a way to do this. The Ford Performance kit comes with a rocker switch.

bigdedition

Big Bend
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco, 1985 Ford Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

nice work

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
What about the cost to set/check the new pinion to ring gear clearances and mesh pattern?

TheBlunden

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 Lightning ⚡, 2024 Big Bend order in
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
We forgot to add the rear locker when my wife ordered her Bronco after it got scheduled is when I realized it but thankfully we were able to add it to the order a month before the build week the and was only a $500 option. Great work on the writeup and install
Sponsored