Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Fantastic. This will help with my long term planning, but I want to go one step further keeping as close to factory as possible by replacing the rear cable harness with the factory harness MB3Z2C011BA which has the locker wiring built in. This will add some more cost.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Basket2023

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What about the cost to set/check the new pinion to ring gear clearances and mesh pattern?
That is a good point. I plan to do this on my own- another opportunity to learn something new!

OP
OP

Basket2023

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Fantastic. This will help with my long term planning, but I want to go one step further keeping as close to factory as possible by replacing the rear cable harness with the factory harness MB3Z2C011BA which has the locker wiring built in. This will add some more cost.
Awesome. Only $115 online- not bad for all the trouble I had to go through! I was originally thinking the connector I had to add pins to was the one located at the driver front fender so I wasn’t planning on a full harness replacement. But at $115, I may have decided otherwise, too late now!

Dorf2point0

Big Bend
First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Explorer, 2005 Explorer, 2013 Escape
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Hi Bronco6G

This is my second post here, so hopefully this thread looks and helps as I intend.

I initially wanted to post this thread only once I was complete, but progress is going much better than expected and I thought others might benefit now rather than waiting- that and my projects always shift in priority so Im not sure when I will be able to jump back.

My goal was to add a rear electric locker but have it perform as factory as possible. Additionally, like most of my projects I want to stay as cheap as possible while also allowing me to tinker and learn along the way. So while this path may not be for everyone, it definitely is allowing me to learn as I go.

Ill break the the thread into three sections; User Interface, Electrical and Differential. At the current time of originally posting this, User Interface and Electrical are both done. While the differential install I have all the plans in place and all the materials- I just need to do the work.

Lets got into it…

User Interface:

I purchased a used “Hero” switch with rear locker optinon from eBay for about $60. The install was super easy and I would suggest using some plastic interior pry tools.
1707705966893.png

Next was to work with FORScan to get the switch turning on/off- as it will not just work once installed.

I needed to compare a VIN with rear locker only to my VIN without rear locker and determine which parameters needed to change in FORScan.

I searched for new vehicles at dealerships with rear locker only and pulled their VINs. Then I put my VIN and the other comparing vehicle VINs into this link below to pull the build info:

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

I found the only difference between my VIN and a same Bronco with rear locker was as follows:

My vehicle: 703-163-03 0000 0005 04D0

Rear Locker vehicle: 703-163-03 0000 0004 04C0

So I went into FORScan, found the AWD Module Configuration (AS BUILT format) and changed the above.

1707706005706.png

My Original:
1707706034083.png

After Change:
1707706061835.png

I then loaded the change to the vehicle and check the switch functionality- the switch lit up yellow but just for a few seconds. I suspect the computer pulls power if it does not detect a load- no load because there is no locker installed right now. I still call this a WIN!
1707706098176.png

Electrical:

This is fairly easy now that I, unintentionally, explored all the connectors finding the simplest connector to access is all you need to access. The electrical can be done a number of different ways, again, I tried keeping this looking as factory as possible but you can also splice in your own wiring rather than running it through the below connector- this would be much easier than what I did.

If you follow the electrical harness on the driver-side outer frame-rail it will eventually begin to cross over the exhaust. Before it crosses over to toward the driveshaft there is a connector hidden on the crossmember. You can disconnect the connector and pull both ends down- they are fastened with the push-in clips that are a pain to remove.

1707706139469.png

In the connector on the frame-rail side you will see two wires that do not extend to the other connector. The ones we are interested in for the locker are Blue/Orange and Green/Brown, they are separated by two other wires.

Here is where you can choose two paths; 1- cut those Blue/Orange and Green/Brown wires and splice in your own wiring to the differential or 2- Add pins to the connector that is missing the wiring- I decided the second option.

I purchased this connector hoping that the pins would work for this application. They were definitely tight but pushing them in with a very thin screwdriver worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07HQ5FK14?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

You’ll use two of the pins on the left in the below image.
1707706182916.png

With a small screwdriver, remove the black cover on the back of the connector missing the two wires for the locker. Once the cover is removed, gently pry the blue seal out of the way too. Then run your wires through the black cover and through the blue seal. If you are color coding your wires, I kept red to mate with the Blue/Orange wire as this is COIL+ and I had black to mate with the Green/Brown wire as this is COIL-. If you keep color coding consistent here it will help you later with the differential plug. Once you have the pins from the above link crimped to the wires, then you will want to seat them into the connector. I used a very thin screwdriver to press them in- they were tight.

1707706212609.png

I then reassembled everything in reverse order- blue seal, then back cover.
1707706241620.png

I then routed the wires along the harness running to the differential. I finished the wire bundle on the passenger-side of the differential.
You will need to purchase the connector that attaches to the differential. The part number I chose is 645-685. You can find it on amazon for about $15.
1707706286798.png

I then spliced the above connector into my wire bundle that I routed to the differential.
1707706322558.png

I was then able to connect this pigtail to the e-locker solenoid and confirmed the Hero switch engaged the solenoid.

Video of solenoid engagement with Hero Switch (not sure if this will upload properly):

Differential:

The differential should be fairly simple. You can find factory Ford Ranger electric lockers, even with my 4.46 ratio ring and pinion. I bought mine for roughly $400 with ring and pinion.

Researching the axle lengths I found that I will need different length axles. You can go to Yukon and buy chromoly axles, one of which will have to be cut to length or you can find the right size from a Bronco or Ranger.

Here is the rundown of axle lengths:
Bronco With Electric Locker: Left- 30.8”, Right-32.8”
Ranger With Electric Locker: Left- 31.1”, Right- 32.8”
Bronco W/O Electric Locker: Left- 31.6”, Right- 35.7”
Ranger W/O Electric Locker: Left- 31.9”, Right- 31.9”

I was actually able to find a removed axle from a Bronco (prior owner swapped with an e-locked axle). This axle cost me roughly $600 with; axle housing, differential/pinion (don’t plan to use) and axle shafts. As you can see from the above axle lengths, you can just cut the factory axle (non locked) shafts down to the proper E-locker length- this is what I will be doing.

You will then need a Dana/Spicer differential rebuild kit for the M220 differential. This will come with both the differential carrier bearings and the pinion bearings along with shims, slinger and seals. I think this kit usually runs about $200 but I found someone selling one on eBay for roughly $100.

Before installing the locking differential you will want to buy the differential passthrough connector, you can get this directly through Ford, I found mine on eBay for $25. I had to shave it down a little to fit with the connector routed to the differential.

1707706371142.png

Then you will have to drill the axle housing to fit this connector. The below picture is a factory installed connector, I will take a picture once I have done this mod.
1707706401298.png

I have not started any of the above for the differential but when I do I will be sure to post my progress with pictures.

Total Cost Roll is roughly:

• Hero Switch with Locker $60
  • Pins for Factory Connector $15
  • Wiring Connector $15
  • Differential Connector $25
  • Elocker with 4.46 Ring and Pinion $400
  • Used Axle Assembly $600
  • Differential Rebuild Kit $100
  • Total: $1,215
Replacement full locking differentials are around $2,500, so doing the above "Differential" section will save you about $1,300- Im good with that!
That is a super write up of your work.. Maybe “journey”…

nolimits

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Explorer ST | 23 Challenger SP 1320
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Excellent info and post. Glad you are here sharing your journey with us and look forward to seeing you complete this project!

Also I hope you will continue to share your experiences as you take on new projects. It’s great to see some tech posts. 😎

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That is a good point. I plan to do this on my own- another opportunity to learn something new!
If you setup the diff gears yourself, let us know how it goes. This summer I'm planning to have a go at setting up the diff gears in my old Land Rover, but those are an easier design to work on, the entire assembly unbolts like the Ford 9" diffs. Maybe if that works out, I'd consider a shot at the Bronco diffs someday.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yeah, cutting an axle shaft and setting lash on the gear/pinion definitely scared me off from doing anything like this - but if you are comfortable doing that on your own, awesome! After one attempt at changing out a ELD coil, I have a new healthy respect for actual mechanics.

Also - awesome link to the Motorcraft As-Built site. I didn't know that existed.

Hey Buddy

Base
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Base Model 2-Door 2.3L 7-Speed
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have bookmarked this thread & am patiently awaiting any & all updates!!
Great work & thanks for sharing!

wintoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks for the excellent research and write up you did!

Could you confirm if this is "fully" integrated? Does it show up in GOAT modes, and does it turn OFF automatically if you turn on the trail turn assist?

Thanks again for all your hard work.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Nice work and thanks for posting! Looking forward to seeing the progress and results, looks like you proved the hero switch functionality with the engagement of solenoid so that's awesome. Id be curious to see if the goat modes that engage the rear locker also work, have you verified that yet?

Last edited:

Sponsored

andersman02

Big Bend
First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend 2.7l SaS
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Excellent work especially regarding the forscan.

Does the locker engage with goat modes per OEM?

GroovyGeek

Black Diamond
First Name
Boyan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Only second post, and the information content is 10x higher than the 500 or so pieces of garbage I have produced... combined 😪

BudgetBronco

Base
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep WJ Grand Cherokee Overland
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Awesome! Can't wait to see the diff post

wintoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hello all!

I have done all this and can confirm it works perfectly.
I enabled Rock crawl mode and when it is selected it automatically engages the rear locking diff.

I think at this point I just might be the only person in the world with a bronco setup with 3.73 gears and a rear locking diff that is integrated to the hero button and GOAT modes!

Thanks to Basket2023 for the first post! I had my Bronco in the shop installing the eLocker when he posted. Just in time too, they had not done any of the wiring yet. I stopped them before they started the electrical and used this method instead.

I am not sure if there is some indication that the rear locker is engaged other than the hero switch. Can someone confirm this? Either way it works, when trail-turn-assist is enabled the locker is automatically disabled as it should!

wintoon

Outer Banks
First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
After seeing some videos on youtube I can confirm that besides the fact that this method DOES activate the rear diff and it disables it when using trail turn assist, there are no other indications besides the hero switch that the rear diff locker is engaged. Some other config is missing in another module probably.

Still, I call this a win! Very nice to have this way.

I don't know if its also possible for a bronco with a factory equipped rear diff to engage without being in 4wd, but it is the case in this method.
Sponsored