First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The B&P tool is up for the 2023 Lightning (just Build a 22 model, it sends you to 23). It still lists Sync 4/4A, not Android Automotive. I doubt AA makes the Bronco before the Lightning, so looks like early 2023 Broncos remain Sync 4.

I was hoping AA would fix the redundant speedo, among other things.
Sponsored

Reactions: bek

GroovyGhost

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

The wireless AA in my Bronco works so well that it pains me to plug in my phone in my wife's VW. I will be sad for all MY23s if this is true.

Planet_Express_IV

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I thought AA ran on Sync 4, not replaced it.
Android Auto is a separate software suite to Android Automotive. Android Auto is the software that allows for Android phone integration and passthrough and runs on the underlying vehicle software. Android Automotive is a complete operating system that runs embedded into the vehicles hardware and replaced the qnx based sync 4 system but each automaker can tweak the interface for their products. Volvo is running an Android Automotive based infotainment system.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Android Auto is a separate software suite to Android Automotive. Android Auto is the software that allows for Android phone integration and passthrough and runs on the underlying vehicle software. Android Automotive is a complete operating system that runs embedded into the vehicles hardware and replaced the qnx based sync 4 system but each automaker can tweak the interface for their products. Volvo is running an Android Automotive based infotainment system.
I see. That naming choice isn't confusing at all.

Sponsored

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
The question I have is if Ford will adopt GAS—Google Automotive Services. That would allow a collection of Google services and applications to run on your vehicle's infotainment system. Which has all kinds of data collection implications that I know a lot of people will be uncomfortable with.
I'm pulling the telematics fuse. I really don't need to unlock my car with my phone. I'll install Ford Pass just long enough to get and spend my points.

Assuming someone ever tells me how to spend said points.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Whatever Ford did recently to whatever it is called that is currently in my vehicle does not seem to work at all. Or as I think it should.

Used to be I could pull up the amazonmusic app that I have in my phone, in my vehicle and play any of my music - now I click Android App and I get an option of apple carplay whcih it is not. My phone home screen is no longer mirrored on my 12" screen as it once was. ANy tps or did Ford simply say that androids can't play with Broncos. BTW, 7 times out of ten when a call comes IN and I hit Answer, it hangs up on the caller.

H3X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Just to confuse it further... Android Automotive is a full-blown operating system that is based on the AOSP core framework. Android Auto is just an application that runs on your Android phone.

Sync 3/4 uses QNX, which is the operating system previously behind Blackberry. So at it's roots your Bronco's infotainment system is just a Blackberry smart phone.

---

The question I have is if Ford will adopt GAS—Google Automotive Services. That would allow a collection of Google services and applications to run on your vehicle's infotainment system. Which has all kinds of data collection implications that I know a lot of people will be uncomfortable with.

The only major American manufacturer today who has adopted GAS is General Motors. One of my coworkers who works in cybersecurity really wanted a Hummer EV and ultimately ended up not buying one because of his concerns around the utilization of Google's services.

If they don't adopt GAS, they could just run the AOSP version of Android Automotive, which would keep Google out of our vehicles. I have a feeling a lot more people would feel more comfortable with that. But since the articles I've read mentioned that Ford signed a contract with Google, I am almost positive it'll ship with GAS.
I'm holding off on buying a Bronco until it has Android Autmotive. Not ordering on a "we'll upgrade it later, we promise!" - no, I want it called out either on the B&P or encapsulated in the Order Code.

Ford and GM talk a big game about how good they are now at software but I'll believe it when I see it. To skin the OS and maintain your own fork based on the AOSP is something only Amazon has been able to pull off at scale.

My guess is that Ford just accepts GAS because it's cheaper than maintaining a team to manage their AOSP fork. But they'll still continue to talk a big game about how good they are at software anyway :D

Reactions: bek

bek

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The B&P tool is up for the 2023 Lightning (just Build a 22 model, it sends you to 23). It still lists Sync 4/4A, not Android Automotive. I doubt AA makes the Bronco before the Lightning, so looks like early 2023 Broncos remain Sync 4.

I am also disappointed. I tried to get info months ago, couldn't find anything. I'll probably get my Wildtrak as an early '23 model (probably!). I was hoping it would have Android Automotive. I asked Mitchell Watts with Town & Country Ford, and he thought I was crazy. First, he thought I was talking about Android Auto, then when he finally got what I was saying, he said he doubts Ford would ever replace Sync because they put so much time and money into it. I linked the article where Farley said it was happening, but I don't think he even read it.

So here are we, on the verge of '23, and not a word. Would they even make this big a tech change in the middle of a model year? I'm thinking it may be a '24 or '25 change, if it ever happens at all.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I just wish Ford would offer a Bronco with out this high tech crap. A radio with knobs no power windows and locks a true base model.

Sponsored

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I just wish Ford would offer a Bronco with out this high tech crap. A radio with knobs no power windows and locks a true base model.
They did...back in the day. Even Wranglers have electronics now. The only way you are going to keep it non-tech is to buy an older vehicle.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am not sure why you think the system running the infotainment system would change the gauge cluster.

Raptor911

Raptor
First Name
Raptor911
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150 Raptor, 2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
because it is not the 1970s. The majority of buyers want tech.

BTW .. backup cameras are required on every vehicle now. Same with TPMS and airbags

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

because it is not the 1970s. The majority of buyers want tech.

BTW .. backup cameras are required on every vehicle now. Same with TPMS and airbags
There are more buyers who want simple than you think. Back up cameras tpms and air bags are safety gear forced by the government A infotainment system (computer) should be available for those who want it but not forced on those who do not. I don't care what decade it is there are people of all ages who like simple and those who like the tech. A base model should be just that and then have options from there. How many more people could afford a new vehicle if a basic low tech version was available? Buy the way when you have to have a degree in computer science to adjust the heat or volume on the radio how does that possibly contribute to distracted driving? I just saying there should be options.

lapazleo

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They did...back in the day. Even Wranglers have electronics now. The only way you are going to keep it non-tech is to buy an older vehicle.
They could still offer a basic model with a simple radio with out sync and hvac contols no power windows and locks that would look normal on the surface and have the electronics in the back ground it's done all the time.
Sponsored