First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I was just sitting talking with an old.timer at the bar about this issue and we had a thought neither of us knew the answe to.

My 2022 badlands has the cold weather engine heater coil and plug since I live at a high elevation.

Would keeping the truck plugged in help alleviate the cam phaser rattle since it seems to be an oil/lubrication issue that occurs at cold start up?

Any logic to this?
How’s your Bronco doing? Any new news?
Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How’s your Bronco doing? Any new news?
Waiting on parts.

They told me it was good to drive and it runs perfectly other than cold start. So.... I have been wheeling it.

Dealer is telling me two weeks to pull the engine which is annoying for a 4 day job but I think he is doing me a solid by not taking it in until the seat belt recall crap comes in so I don't go without.

20230717_162602.jpg

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
My first car was a 1956 Ford with a 6 volt battery. How many of you folks remember that???

It seemed remarkable when the 6 volt battery would actually start the engine. You only had one or two good tries before the battery was done…. Two accelerator pumps, a short prayer and give it a go….. There was always the push start to fall back on.

Now I have to hope the cam phasers don’t fail. A short prayer???
Those newer post-war cars like your '56, and especially the Ford's with their higher output generators, always had 2 good starts in them.

Heck, your little space ship even has drum brakes, another post-war engineering marvel. Bet you can get THREE good stops in, you lucky bastard.

Only speaking as somebody with a continuation '51 Fleetline rocking all the pre-war good stuff like huck brakes (you only get one shakey stop), the extra-crappy masters (fun to replace under the floor board) and lower output generators (always one good partial start, don't stop cranking!)

Ford Bronco Another cam phaser failure, horrible Ford quality issue 20200424_150333

But I digress, while the phaser should be manufactured properly where this doesn't happen.... Sometimes these things happen. At least it's a wear part instead of something serious such as cracked blocks or grenadeing transmissions.

Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
9 weeks and waiting. Thinking about to initiate lemon law by back.
Will you go for another one?

Are you driving it or is it sitting at the dealer?

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Sitting at dealer
Everyone I have spoken to about this issue says it will not cause further harm beyond the camshaft phasers by driving it.

Even the service tech and mechanic at the dealer both agreed and made this point to me.

I would say go get your truck and tell them to call you when the parts arrive.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I really feel like Ford should step up and take care of existing owners as a larger priority. These parts for existing owners should be a huge priority for Ford.

OP
OP
Mpali

Mpali

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Everyone I have spoken to about this issue says it will not cause further harm beyond the camshaft phasers by driving it.

Even the service tech and mechanic at the dealer both agreed and made this point to me.

I would say go get your truck and tell them to call you when the parts arrive.

I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. I really feel like Ford should step up and take care of existing owners as a larger priority. These parts for existing owners should be a huge priority for Ford.
There is more to it than just phaser replacement. My service guy told me today it’s a package of items ford wants them to replace, including all camshafts . Weird. It’s being worked on right now supposedly should be ready by end of week. We will see

OuterJersey

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Toyota,VW, Lexus, Triumph, Honda MC
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Hi there, Mike. This cam phaser concern doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. Could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.
don’t worry the botboy will fix it

Sponsored

Imonamoose

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Moose
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is more to it than just phaser replacement. My service guy told me today it’s a package of items ford wants them to replace, including all camshafts . Weird. It’s being worked on right now supposedly should be ready by end of week. We will see
Before I went for service I talked to the parts department and the guy told me straight up they had the parts and were ready to go as soon as I dropped the vehicle. That was a lie.

I wonder what the service bulletin says for this.... what are the "package of items"? Did they indicate the cam shaft itself was damaged? Why is that being replaced? What other parts?

Now I'm all nervous again.... watch them have all the parts they need but sitting on these rigs until the seat belt clip comes in sometime 4th quarter... SMH.

OP
OP
Mpali

Mpali

Wildtrak
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Before I went for service I talked to the parts department and the guy told me straight up they had the parts and were ready to go as soon as I dropped the vehicle. That was a lie.

I wonder what the service bulletin says for this.... what are the "package of items"? Did they indicate the cam shaft itself was damaged? Why is that being replaced? What other parts?

Now I'm all nervous again.... watch them have all the parts they need but sitting on these rigs until the seat belt clip comes in sometime 4th quarter... SMH.
Seatbelt recall states that once they have parts they will notify by letter. I just got the recall too

samdogg87

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Just got the rattle myself, 23 Bronco Badlands 2.7L 3500mi. Took to dealership and sure enough its the cam phaser issue. Surprisingly they said parts were available and would start the work later this week. Said they would probably need to keep the vehicle for the next 10 days but would hook me up with a loaner in the meantime. Let you guys know when i get it back if i have any issues.....but JFC never thought id be having open heart surgery on my bronco after 6 months

KPLOBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Kristopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler TJ
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What happens to the engine other than noise? Does it cause premature wear due to cam position off, or is it just a noise issue?

samdogg87

Badlands
First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
well other than the embaressment of starting your brand new vehicle and it sounding like rocks floating around, yea wear on the cam phasers, they said they had to order a package of 20x parts that ford wants them to replace so i dont know if that includes cam shafts or not i guess ill find out once i see the work order and what was all replaced
Sponsored