Sponsored

Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner?

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
I"ve had two FJ40s, two Wrangler 2-doors, a Bronco-II, a full-size Bronco, and now my 6th gen Bronco and a 96 Toyota 2wd 4-cyl truck with 160K on it. I think the thought that a Toyota is more reliable is built on an old fact... if it was true even then. I really don't think they are better. We will wait and see how Bronco reliability is, but this forum as a judge is kind of misleading... because bad problems will get reported immediately, and they may only apply to a few.

I had an 86 Toyota Camry new... valves made noise from about 30K, and the front brakes were bad... and Toyota wouldn't admit it for a long time. FINALLY they replaced the brakes, and I sold it before the engine/valves caused a problem. Also had an 86 Toyota Avalon. Nothing but problems with < 100k on it. So don't go saying just because its MIJ that its better.

My 96 truck... replaced radiator, water pump, all hoses and belts. Normal stuff. Of course the $750 charge for replacing the speedo-cable... seems like a bit of a design flaw from the get-go. Why would they do it that way? And WHY on early 4runners would they use a belt instead of a timing chain? And why did the back end of all the FJ40s rust out below the door? Again... not good designs in all cases.

Having said all that... I'd be interested in the FJ if it looks like a small FJ40, but it'll probably cost around $60,000 to start.

Just my 2 cents.

nhmountainman

Badlands
First Name
Kman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Chevy 2500 Duramax 2018 BMW 340 2016 Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
4Runner is looking pretty good now…don’t all snatch up the 5th gen 4Runners all at once now 🤣

Joez60421

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fleet of Toyota 4runners and Land Cruisers
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
We traded in our 2015 5th Gen 4runner for the Bronco. We bought it new, put about 130k on it, and it never went back to the dealer for anything warranty related. It did get an airbag recall, and Toyota replaced the fuel pump out of warranty as a precaution as part of a recall.

With 6k miles the Bronco already needs a new passenger seat, and has aanual transmission that sounds like it has loose gravel in it when it's cold.

I don't consider myself an intentional brand loyalist, I've owned stuff made by everyone. But, my 97 4runner, V6 5 speed manual had 450k miles on it when I was done commuting with it. Complete orriginal drivetrain, minus one clutch, and two sets of driveshaft ujoints. It left me stranded once when the oem fuel pump died at 378k miles. My 98 Lexus LS400 has 205k on it, and it still looks and drives like new. It has less squeaks and rattles than the brand new Bronco. 87 4runner with 225k, orriginal everything. 93 Land Cruiser, 280k when I pulled the motor and trans to put it on a diet and gain 100hp.

Was the 4runner as exciting, or unique as the Bronco is. No. But it was a great vehicle, damn close to as capable with better suspension and 33's, and you can't say they aren't reliable. But a lot of that is because Toyota is a very reserved company, and they don't rush innovation to market. There's a reason they sell every 4runner they build without issue, and in reality the platform is actually over 20 years old now, with sheetmetal and motor upgrades.

I don't see us getting rid of the Bronco anytime soon as so far we love it, but if Toyota goes back to the 4runner or Land Cruiser's roots with a removable top and a manual trans, gonna be hard pressed not to go back.

Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 20220821_182846

Sponsored

mountainbronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 20210228_114111

Love what Toyota has done with its sports division lately. The GR86, Supra, and GR Corolla are terrific cars. But the Tundra and Sequoia seem to have surprised reviewers with how bad they are.
[/QUOTE]

Owl

Base
First Name
G
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Wrangler JK, White Bronco Base 2Dr
Your Bronco Model
Base
My neighbor has a 96 4runner with about 140K on it. I keep asking to buy it, and he keeps refusing to sell it. I'd buy it any day of the week.

In regard to the Bronco and the passenger seat... what the heck is going wrong there? I've been thinking myself that on the driver's seat that if I keep going in and out without side-steps that it will break down the left corner. Is that what's happening?

Manual transmission... made in China (from reading the forum). Glad I got the 10-speed (made in USA).

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

If we don't have our Bronco when the 4Runner comes out, it will be a top contender.

Jon_chimpo

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’m excited to see the new 4Runners. I’m not 100% sold on my Wildtrak. I’m disgusted with Ford Motor Company, and it’s dealers. After the Bronco, I may never buy another Ford product. It’s a cool vehicle for sure, but doesn’t really fit my family needs the best. I’ve been looking at the new Tundra’s as well. For now I’m over all liking the Bronco, but it will also be easy to sell if the time comes. Good news the bronco’s aren’t really depreciating when it come time to sell.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Toyota already failed on the new sequoia just waiting for them to carry over the failure to the 4runner. They stuck the batteries in the back so no flat floor when you fold the seats down. Killed the road trip storage 🤣

Sponsored

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Nope.

I've had my Bronco now for 8 months. After assessing what I want out of a vehicle and what I actually use it for, the 4Runner looks like an appealing alternative should I decide to sell the Bronco in the future. Is anyone else considering trading their Bronco for the next-gen 4Runner, whenever it comes out?

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Toyota already failed on the new sequoia just waiting for them to carry over the failure to the 4runner. They stuck the batteries in the back so no flat floor when you fold the seats down. Killed the road trip storage 🤣
And not good for taking the dogs for a ride either.

NatureMan

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Plus they got rid of center diff for full time 4wd. Dumbasses.

evomind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All sorts of things
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Ford Bronco Anyone else considering trading for the next-gen 4Runner? 20210228_114111

Love what Toyota has done with its sports division lately. The GR86, Supra, and GR Corolla are terrific cars. But the Tundra and Sequoia seem to have surprised reviewers with how bad they are.
[/QUOTE]
No one is saying how bad the 2023 Sequoia is. Doug Demuro has a great review but of course it's the top of the line trim.
Most reviews across the board are at least in the mid 7s.
If the interior of the new 4 runner looks anything like the Sequoia and has off road capability it will be a strong buy.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

No one is saying how bad the 2023 Sequoia is. Doug Demuro has a great review but of course it's the top of the line trim.
Most reviews across the board are at least in the mid 7s.
If the interior of the new 4 runner looks anything like the Sequoia and has off road capability it will be a strong buy.
I went and checked the Sequoia in person, its not a useful vehicle if you actually need the space. People moving up from a smaller vehicle are blown away with the space. People who actually need the space to haul 4 adults and luggage will be wtf... Very disappointing, but so is the currrent suburban and excursion for useable space. 80-90s suburban with barn doors is still king of usable design.
Sponsored