Sponsored

Anyone else notice that their speedometer is off with factory tires?

Fly2Win

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250 SD, 68 Firebird, 85 300ZX
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine is pretty much dead on with Waze, but not sure they are the authority on speed accuracy.

donkeygoatrunner

Wildtrak
First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 FJ Cruiser TTUE
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drive by two or three radar speed limit signs every day. Speedometer is consistently higher by 2mph, regardless of what speed I’m driving.

Stampede.Offroad

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
junk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Based on what I've seen, and from discussions in the Forscan threads (for adjusting tire sizes), the computer is set for a tire circumference smaller than what actually exists when new.
That sounds backwards. If the circumference is larger than what the computer thinks, you're traveling farther per unit time than it would predict, thus having a higher velocity in reality.

If however they used the theoretical 35" size rather than the real smaller value, it would over-predict as is observed, and this phenomenon will only get worse as the tire wears down.

Jhuff

Badlands
First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma and DR650
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
That sounds backwards. If the circumference is larger than what the computer thinks, you're traveling farther per unit time than it would predict, thus having a higher velocity in reality.

If however they used the theoretical 35" size rather than the real smaller value, it would over-predict as is observed, and this phenomenon will only get worse as the tire wears down.
Ugh, this stuff is so easy to get flipped around in the head. I need to draw it out and do math to confirm 😂.

What you say sounds right, and might explain why the Sasquatch Forscan size was so small. Maybe it's designed to be slow/conservative at first, and finally be more accurate (or at least not inadvertently speeding) when the tire is bald?

My Sasquatch circumference in Forscan equaled 33.25“, and the tire was advertised around 34.4“ diameter; my actual speed was 3mph slower than the dashboard.

Now I have a headache.

Sponsored

foreWard

Badlands
First Name
Ward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep GC Trailhawk, 2003 Toyota Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Mine is off by 2-3mph as well. Annoys me, but I compensate by speeding everywhere. LOL

Skott

Wildtrak
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I've noticed when driving I will have cruise control set, and Waze on my screen will usually say my speedometer is 1MPH slower. So there's a bit of a difference in my WildTrak.

Likely due to 35 inch tires?

OP
OP
puckett_jw

puckett_jw

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 F250 Tremor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I drive by two or three radar speed limit signs every day. Speedometer is consistently higher by 2mph, regardless of what speed I’m driving.
So I initially tested at 65 & it was off by 2 (sometimes 3). I assumed that this was a percent off, so I assumed that it was off different amounts at different speeds. I did more testing today & it is ALWAYS 2 off. It does not feel like a tire ratio issue.

Bronco Bri

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Fusion, 1966 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I initially tested at 65 & it was off by 2 (sometimes 3). I assumed that this was a percent off, so I assumed that it was off different amounts at different speeds. I did more testing today & it is ALWAYS 2 off. It does not feel like a tire ratio issue.
I noticed mine is about 1-2 mphs off as well. I have Sasquatch package.
Sponsored