Sponsored

Anyone Else Having Key Problems With Their 2021 Bronco ?

ā€˜21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If the key is in my left pocket I get this message. Pretty much has to be in my right hand pocket or in the cupholder to have no issue.
Sponsored

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If this is caused by a dead battery in the fob I sure hope it was a bad batch of batteries because changing the battery every six months or 9000 km is going to get old and expensive really quick. In my F-350 I have only replaced the battery in the fob once in 12 1/2 years and 311,000 km and never in the remote start.

wilmerfjohnson

First Edition
First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner, 2000 Taurus, 1996 Bronco, 1994 F-150, 1988 F-150, 1984 Bronco II, 1978 F-350, 1974 VW Thing
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Did they even attempt to change the battery in the fob. I know it sounds like a weird thing since itā€™s new but in testing many vehicles have had weak batteries right out of the package leaving me and others fiddle-fā€™ing around to get to the key tray. I am sorry this happened though and the only backup is the location in the center console there is no other alternative
It sure sounds like a bad battery in the key fob. If the truck started when you placed the fob in the special spot in the console, then the electronics in the truck are good and the electronics in the fob are good.

A907Chick

Wildtrak
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ford Bronco Wildtrax Area 51
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

My 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 Door has been having trouble starting recently, with the "No Key Detected" message popping up as I sit in the driver's seat with my key in hand. I have been able to start it by using the remote start function instead... until yesterday, when it refused to start at all and locked the engine, windows, and power... and set off the alarm when I opened the door. I was stuck in a CVS parking lot- groceries melting- for over an hour before it agreed to start again. (I called Ford's Roadside Assistance and their only option was to send a tow truck... in 2-3 hours!)

I took the rig to my dealer- Dean Sellers Ford in Troy, Michigan- today, but their Service Department could find nothing and actually told me to "take a picture" if it happened again. (I asked what I was supposed to photograph and he actually said, "your hand holding both keys by the start button." I am not kidding!) Naturally, the car refused to start when I tried to leave their parking lot, at which point the service tech looked at the car from a few feet away, said that Ford had nothing online about this issue, but he would send an e-mail to their hot line... and then walked off. Fortunately, my great salesperson had introduced me to a manager, while I was waiting earlier, who showed me that you can lift up the mat in the center console storage area and place your key in a shallow indentation there, which is near the receiver. The Bronco started... but who wants to have to put their key inside the console to start their own $60k 4x4!

Am I the only unlucky Bronco owner to have experienced this frustrating problem?
My 2021 Bronco Badlands 2 Door has been having trouble starting recently, with the "No Key Detected" message popping up as I sit in the driver's seat with my key in hand. I have been able to start it by using the remote start function instead... until yesterday, when it refused to start at all and locked the engine, windows, and power... and set off the alarm when I opened the door. I was stuck in a CVS parking lot- groceries melting- for over an hour before it agreed to start again. (I called Ford's Roadside Assistance and their only option was to send a tow truck... in 2-3 hours!)

I took the rig to my dealer- Dean Sellers Ford in Troy, Michigan- today, but their Service Department could find nothing and actually told me to "take a picture" if it happened again. (I asked what I was supposed to photograph and he actually said, "your hand holding both keys by the start button." I am not kidding!) Naturally, the car refused to start when I tried to leave their parking lot, at which point the service tech looked at the car from a few feet away, said that Ford had nothing online about this issue, but he would send an e-mail to their hot line... and then walked off. Fortunately, my great salesperson had introduced me to a manager, while I was waiting earlier, who showed me that you can lift up the mat in the center console storage area and place your key in a shallow indentation there, which is near the receiver. The Bronco started... but who wants to have to put their key inside the console to start their own $60k 4x4!

Am I the only unlucky Bronco owner to have experienced this frustrating problem?
My niece had this issue on her Mazada, her keyfob was in sleep mode. Not sure if this applies to your situation but here is an article I found.

https://www.fordforums.com/threads/fords-new-key-fobs-will-include-a-sleep-mode.307060/

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I guess I don't know where the key goes either? Lol
I ordered the service manual from Helm and it arrived today. Hopefully the "book" that is supposed to know everything has an answer.

Last edited:

Sponsored

DMC

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Superhawk
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Iā€™m having this issue too. Plus it ā€œdouble honksā€ while Iā€™m messing with it. Is there a fix.

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess I don't know where the key goes either? Lol
The key hidden in the FOB is to unlock the doorā€¦ā€¦that is the only thing it is forā€¦ā€¦there is no ā€œkey holeā€ under the start buttonā€¦ā€¦.if the FOB battery is dead you put the FOB in the indent in the bottom of the center console and the truck will start.

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm paranoid about key Fob batteries failing, so I always find where to put the key Fob to start it.

The key hidden in the FOB is to unlock the doorā€¦ā€¦that is the only thing it is forā€¦ā€¦there is no ā€œkey holeā€ under the start buttonā€¦ā€¦.if the FOB battery is dead you put the FOB in the indent in the bottom of the center console and the truck will start.

Last edited:

TMP

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Super Duty 6.7
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

FYI, there are NO locks/key holes on the Bronco doors or tailgate (at least not mine since it's Lux/keyless entry). I think it's only for the center console and glove box.

I'm paranoid about key Fob batteries failing, so I always find where to put the key Fob to start it.
Ford Bronco Anyone Else Having Key Problems With Their 2021 Bronco ? 4CFA64C9-9256-45F2-A5FE-37E34AF987BA

All Ford products no matter the trim level have a keyhole in the drivers doorā€¦..why else would they give you a key hidden in the FOB? šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

stuckinohio

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Badlands, MT High 2 Dr, V6 Outer Banks, Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I stand corrected. I had to go out and look cause I apparently never realized the driver door (ONLY) had a key hole! LOL

Sponsored

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I stand corrected. I had to go out and look cause I apparently never realized the driver door (ONLY) had a key hole! LOL
Which is also the case with my 2014 Escape as well my 2005 Mustang. Ford has been doing it this way for a long time.

DMC

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Superhawk
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco Anyone Else Having Key Problems With Their 2021 Bronco ? 4CFA64C9-9256-45F2-A5FE-37E34AF987BA

All Ford products no matter the trim level have a keyhole in the drivers doorā€¦..why else would they give you a key hidden in the FOB? šŸ¤·šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø
The hidden key is for surfing!šŸ„ā€ā™‚ļø

TX_Bronco77

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My 2018 Mustang does the whole "Restart Now or Key Required" thing but here's the rub, it only does this at the post office. No where else, ever. Why? I have no idea.

Key works normally everywhere, but for some reason when I pull in the post office I can't get my car started again unless I put the key near the dash. I can drive a block up the street and it will work flawlessly. I even changed batteries in both FOB's when it first happened so it's not a battery issue. Thoroughly stumped on why the post office is a key FOB black hole.

DMC

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
63 Superhawk
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Has anyone figured this out yet? I went to the dealer and they switched the battery out. Didnā€™t fix it. They said if I could leave it for 3 or 4 days they would try to figure it out but said there was a waitlist for loaners. Pretty frustrating...

enro

Black Diamond
First Name
Erin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Mine was built in July ā€˜21 and I have the same problem as well. It doesnā€™t happen every day, but it is a reoccurring issue. When that message goes off, I usually hit the unlock button on the key fob a few times and that stops it.
If anyone figures it out the real solution, please post here.
Sponsored