Sponsored

Anyone taught their wife to drive a Manual Trans?

ontheuptick

Black Diamond
First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Infiniti
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I want to buy the manual transmission Badlands. But, my biggest concern with this being my daily driver, is there will always be a few times a month where my wife needs to drive my car (and me drive hers, for seating for our 4 kids).

Facts about my wife:
  • We are late 30's, and she's never driven a stick
  • She doesn't like trying new things
  • She doesn't like the idea of a stick shift
  • She would be mortified if she stalled the truck in the middle of an intersection - even if just for a few seconds
I'm assuming these newer manual transmissions are very very forgiving - compared to the 1990 Honda Accord I drove 25 years ago...?

I haven't owned a stick since I got married (17 years), but want to badly. Can I teach her? Or more likely, can I have my Dad (much more patient than I) teach her? Or is it not worth the stress and I should just get the Auto and 2.7?
Sponsored

The_Phew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 2.3L 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
No, I failed in that endeavor.. But that was with a torqueless Honda engine; modern turbo engines are quite forgiving about giving them too little gas at launch. This will be ESPECIALLY true with the 'crawl gear 1st' in the Bronco; I bet it will launch on flat ground without requiring any gas pedal at all.

But my sister taught her husband to drive stick; he got the hang of it immediately. And he doesn't even own a car (he's one of those urban 'bike everywhere' Millenials).

Sponsored

Lifeliberty

Base
First Name
Moonbeam👀
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93CBR900RR, (prior)88 Bronco Manual 4.9L str 6
Your Bronco Model
Base
I think learning on the Bronco would be a mistake. Probably do the teaching on a Honda civic or something small, especially if the trainee isn't mechanically inclined

bthibodeaux

Wildtrak
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL, 2014 Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My wife drives our 2 door manual Rubicon often, but not well, which means I'll definitely need to replace the clutch on a regular basis.....

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I've been married happily for 30 years. If your wife is not on board and does not want to learn to drive it, move on. Seriously. It's not going to be good for either of you, and that has nothing to do with her ability to drive a stick.

Get the auto if both will be driving, or get the stick for yourself.

Aggro

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Tacoma TRD OR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I taught my fiancee how to drive stick. Luckily i had a 2000 BMW Z3 which was essentially a go-kart. Learning in a Bronco might be intimidating but like @borgnineamc said: It all boils down to if she wants to learn.

There's no vehicle she'll be comfortable in if this is something she doesn't want. Especially if she's going to be loading the kids in there and not feeling comfortable about it. Best advice we can probably give you is to just go with the 2.7 Auto. I've driven stick my whole driving life lol i had that Z3, a Porsche 944, a Mustang, and now i drive a Porsche Boxster.

I love the feeling and i love my stick :sneaky: but i'm giving it up for the auto in the Bronco. It's going to be a more comfortable ride and in the future we'll be having kids as well, don't want me or her to have to worry about shifting gears in traffic while the kids are being dicks in the back. Just my 2 cents though.

Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

My dad taught me when I was 10 and I taught my wife 35 years ago when we first got married. Have since taught my sisters, daughters, and friends to drive a manual but it's been awhile. I don't know if modern manuals are any easier to learn or teach, probably better than an old Ecoline van with a 3 on the tree! I think the only thing that would make it easier would be the addition of the hill holder but there's no slipper clutch on any manual that I know of.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't understand this thread. It's really up to you and her...not some people on a forum.

Of course it's possible. It's up to you two if it's worth the stress.

My then girlfriend, now wife, taught me how to drive a manual when we were younger and rented a car in Europe. Learned on a right hand drive. Stalled it a few times in miraculous fashion in traffic but had it down by the afternoon.

OBXdreamin

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
One of the wife’s main qualifications was she already knew how to drive a vehicle properly. ??‍♂
My Tacoma will stall if you look at it wrong, VERY unforgiving, and after just a brief familiarization is driving it like a champ. Still cant wrap her head around an EBrake start on hills though

Last edited:

King Luis

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC60 & MK5 Jetta TDI
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

modern vs old, there isn't much of a difference. some older cars used a cable clutch versus the newer ones using hydraulic. to me, every car has a different feel but all the same concept. my wife has been driving manual for over about 15 years now. she still hates hills but drives perfect.
Sponsored