Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Cruz (POS)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Really? Interesting. Was it an automatic? My wife got a 2017 manual brand new and she’s had no issues with it in 40K miles. I had a Chevy for 6 years across two Camaro’s and never had a single issue.
Yes, auto. The tranny would seize up on the downshift from 4th and 3rd so bad it would completely stop my front wheels. It was like slamming the brakes multiple times for a split second each time.
Sponsored

brettclutch

Badlands
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Civic, Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is how I'm thinking about it:

-> Most major issues don't even come out until MY:2 or 3.
-> Engines are pre-established well-understood engines.
-> Chassy modified from ranger
-> Auto Tranny is pre-established and medium understood.

Which means that if your going with an auto the majority of the powertrain is completely well established. Its nearly the glue holding it all together which is the unknown (Shocks, gearing, extra bells and whistles like stay bar disconnect and GOAT modes, body). Of which I've seen tons of testing video and content, they really are testing this thing hard.

I feel comfortable in this scenario buying a model year 1.

Now the real question for me however is....

-> Are you comfortable ordering a vehicle sight unseen without a test drive or drive reviews.

This is the real question and I'm trying to understand that myself.

BruckinFonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 VW GTI Sport MT, 1993 VW Corrado VR6 MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am now thinking of waiting. Would really like to own a green Bronco. Would also like to see what the aftermarket brings in hardtops for the 4-door with a fastback roofline. The appeal of the 2-door for me is how it looks from the factory, but if a fastback hardtop was available for the 4-door, I’d be all about that, especially if I could buy a green 4-door.

Or, maybe we’ll buy a 2-door and then see what Ford and the aftermarket roll out over the next couple of years, and pick up a 4-door if it seems like we need the extra space and/or doors.

JDisFlip

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Waiting
Your Bronco Model
Base
I’ve always been told not to buy the first year, or last year, or any production vehicle. “Got to let them work out the bugs”. I know that this is an old saying and most new cars are fairly good to go off the line first year. But why not give it a year or two to let them sort out any other issues?

There has been talk of the raptor/warthog models coming out in the coming years, which obviously were not available for preorder. So waiting might be abetter option for those of us who don’t want to buy one now only to trade it in for the next better one down the line.

For those of us who aren’t made of money and are looking to finance, having a few extra months/years to save up helps. Add to it that x-plan is a set price based on invoice, so price won’t change between reservation order and a dealer order a couple years later. (Aside from the Granger $2k below offering).

Barring a “first edition“ trim order, I ask you this: Is it even worth it to get the first year model?

Or am I being really silly in thinking this way?

I got in on a first year of the 2nd Gen Ridgeline(2017), and I believe it was around the 30 thousand one made.

Back during the first gen I was a Honda fan and wanted the Honda truck; but I hated the exterior look.

Over the years I had 2 Accords, a CRX, and my favorite a Del Sol.

I researched a lot about all that was to this new Ridgeline (my first time I had a truck) and knew I was getting into a first year vehicle.

The powertrain was proven to me as it was in their other 6cyl offerings; the Odyssey, and of course the Pilot (as they do say it's a Pilot with the bed in the back).

I read about recalls and problems, though I heard that if you had a later one you were pretty well off.

I didn't have a problem with mine; got it off the lot with 13 miles on it and still drove well til life happened and took it away 3 years later.
... if I still had it now I wouldn't be here as I really loved my truck and could still go to all the places that I went to; though I wouldn't want a new one now as they have went with the ZF9 transmission and no more 6speed.

I did get a call to have some work done per TSB I think, but there wasn't anything really wrong.

I saw the area behind the seat where they needed access and there was little disturbed; luckily for them I already made access easy to all that area cause I installed my subwoofer in and around that area for easy access for wires and such.

My take away from being a first year is that most of the important parts have been used and have been working in the Ranger, F150, Mustang, Explorer, etc. for quite awhile now.
As well we have seen Ford testing or putting on a spectacle for all to see with all the vids we got to watch here.

I feel they have been testing the Bronco out for some time, and have spent a good amount of time designing it.
Many have waited for this return and they are bringing it back; with so many eyes on them they don't want to fumble the ball at goal line.

If there are any real problems with the vehicle at the start, Ford should get those taken care of so as not to top headlines and dampen momentum.

The reason I'm here is that Base model 2 door being around $28,7__ with xplan; after the first year I would think Ford to make the Base be $30,___ or so with the next model year, so I want in now :cool: (y).
With a couple extras added at B n P, the value is still there compared to the other vehicles I had considered above $30 to $32,___ that are base models with less capability or features.

Reactions: sjp

Sponsored

Maximus

Wildtrak
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Delorean
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I am now thinking of waiting. Would really like to own a green Bronco. Would also like to see what the aftermarket brings in hardtops for the 4-door with a fastback roofline. The appeal of the 2-door for me is how it looks from the factory, but if a fastback hardtop was available for the 4-door, I’d be all about that, especially if I could buy a green 4-door.

Or, maybe we’ll buy a 2-door and then see what Ford and the aftermarket roll out over the next couple of years, and pick up a 4-door if it seems like we need the extra space and/or doors.
On the IG I saw a Green Bronco...unsure if it will be released in 2021.

Stroopaloop

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GMC canyon all terrain
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’ve always been told not to buy the first year, or last year, or any production vehicle. “Got to let them work out the bugs”. I know that this is an old saying and most new cars are fairly good to go off the line first year. But why not give it a year or two to let them sort out any other issues?

There has been talk of the raptor/warthog models coming out in the coming years, which obviously were not available for preorder. So waiting might be abetter option for those of us who don’t want to buy one now only to trade it in for the next better one down the line.

For those of us who aren’t made of money and are looking to finance, having a few extra months/years to save up helps. Add to it that x-plan is a set price based on invoice, so price won’t change between reservation order and a dealer order a couple years later. (Aside from the Granger $2k below offering).

Barring a “first edition“ trim order, I ask you this: Is it even worth it to get the first year model?

I saw some great deals on gladiators. Maybe people should go for those! Off road utility what more could you ask for !?? (Muahahaha)

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
You're not being silly. We'd sometimes see that in a new generation of car when it was first released. The 2013 Pathfinder when driving, well, like an old person (how I drive by the way), would learn driving style and then randomly surge the engine causing issues or harm obviously. I think it was that same year Pathfinder that had roof rails that the side plastic pieces would just fall off. The first Jukes would very rarely catch on fire. I happened to have sold one that did. I'm not shitting on Nissan here just sharing my experience.

That being said, nowadays cars are very well-built and the likelihood of this kind of thing is greatly diminished from when that advice was correct.

The last model year or a body style is absolutely a great time to buy though. It's hard to time it but if you can, and you don't mind having the "old" look, you'll get the best deal of any car. I'm not talking about "oh hey the 2020s are still on the lot they gotta move!" line, but when they transition to an all-new vehicle. I passed on a 2012 Altima base (2013 all new) at my store and payments for 36 months / 15k/yr would have been $275-$280 with nothing down. They were dropped about $7k, it was crazy.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw some great deals on gladiators. Maybe people should go for those! Off road utility what more could you ask for !?? (Muahahaha)
Gladiator sales are up by 37%. Ranger is only about 6k units ahead of it.

Bronc-O

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lincoln Aviator
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think the incentives are also pretty high on Gladiator and bringing in non brand loyal customers. I do like it's looks. Too bad Bronco doesn't have something like it.

Sponsored

AtomicWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It crossed my mind but I really think Ford hit it out of the park and I'd like to get in on it early. Literally YOLO.

But most likely if you have patience you'll get some kinks worked out (hopefully not many) and more model offerings..and probably better deals.

AtomicWT

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
For me the design and options are what hit it out the park. Of course until rubber hits the road it's all moot. I think B&P will give many people some sticker shock. These aren't going to be cheap.
Sponsored