pimpjuice

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I apologize if this is ignorance but are they really necessary?
Granted I haven't climbed rocks with my Bronco but I do live in Florida where it rains a lot and floods. I often forget to switch the G.O.A.T. mode in different conditions because it's so capable in 2h. When traveling in heavy rain, I feel in complete control. The thing is a tank. Wouldn't 4A save me from slipping?
I've even gone in sugar sand and only used 2h but if I had gotten stuck, wouldn't 4wd have done the trick?
The mode I use the most is Eco to try to save gas (not even sure if that helps) and then Sports to show my friends how much power the 2.7L has.

Again forgive my ignorance but is there things the G.O.A.T. modes do that 4A can't?
Sponsored

smahones

Badlands
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Goat modes are absolutely for real….yes, you change the 4x4 settings and lockers manually, but the shifting and traction changes are unique to the mode.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I would describe G.O.A.T. modes as 60% gimmicky, 40% completely worthwhile.

There are effectively five things the G.O.A.T. modes do:
  • Transfer case presets
  • Locker / Sway-bar presets
  • Traction control
  • Engine & transmission tuning
  • Throttle & steering tuning
The first three items on that list you can obviously do entirely yourself with the hero switches on the dash and the transfer case buttons on the G.O.A.T. dial. Changing the behavior of the transmission, steering, and throttle you can ONLY do on using the G.O.A.T. modes.

Could Ford have allowed you to change them separately?? Probably, and on the Bronco Raptor they did. But on the normal Bronco you have to use the G.O.A.T. modes to change those behaviors.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Transfer case presets
  • Traction control
The first three items on that list you can obviously do entirely yourself with the hero switches on the dash and the transfer case buttons on the G.O.A.T. dial. Changing the behavior of the transmission, steering, and throttle you can ONLY do on using the G.O.A.T. modes.

Could Ford have allowed you to change them separately?? Probably, and on the Bronco Raptor they did. But on the normal Bronco you have to use the G.O.A.T. modes to change those behaviors.
They also turn on/off cameras and offer specific views. (I miss those, because my APIM is dead, so my 12” screen is inoperable. :cautious:)

LSU Jonno

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I always use GOAT modes for new terrain just to see what the default is. Last week while driving on the beach I threw it in sand mode just to see what it did. It threw me in 4H and turned on my rear locker. So after that first time I just switched those settings manually.

Sponsored

Pit Bear

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Driving in rain isn't why the GOAT modes were created. They are specifically for offroading and rock climbing. If you aren't offroading, then you aren't using the modes for what they were designed for and are useless to you.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They also turn on/off cameras and offer specific views. (I miss those, because my APIM is dead, so my 12” screen is inoperable. :cautious:)
Eh, thought about mentioning that, but I don't like that "feature". Not sure if you can turn that off or not (didn't order High/Lux so never bothered finding out), but hopefully you can. If you are actively using a map application on your infotainment screen I'd rather have it stay on the map application than flipping immediately to the camera as soon as I put it in Rock Crawl mode.

BUT, personal preference I suppose. I specifically avoided the cameras to begin with so obviously I'm not the target audience for that feature.

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Eh, thought about mentioning that, but I don't like that "feature". Not sure if you can turn that off or not (didn't order High/Lux so never bothered finding out), but hopefully you can. If you are actively using a map application on your infotainment screen I'd rather have it stay on the map application than flipping immediately to the camera as soon as I put it in Rock Crawl mode.

BUT, personal preference I suppose. I specifically avoided the cameras to begin with so obviously I'm not the target audience for that feature.
It’s pretty easy to switch between the camera view and mapping, and I miss both features. The front and mirror cameras are my electronic spotters off-road, and I miss not having Gaia GPS on my big screen. Never had those features before, and it’s amazing how quickly you come to appreciate them, but don’t really realize it until you lose them. :cautious:

Reactions: Cat

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

• Transfer case presets
  • Traction control

I largely agree with this, and the ratio is pushing 70-80% gimmick with the 7MT. Everything useful that it does is mostly convenience and could be accomplished with some buttons pushed manually.

Sponsored

j_4260

Badlands
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi A3, Ducati M620, BMW GSA 1200
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think the GOAT modes are gimmicky. I have some recency bias as I got back from the Off-Rodeo a week ago...

Some context:
- I'm a car guy through and through. I love everything about older cars where you have to be involved with the driving experience.
- I've done a lot of track days, autocross events, car control clinics, etc... I will always advocate for technique versus technology.
- I have zero off-roading experience until about 6 months ago, after bringing my Bronco home.

So with that all said, I took the Bronco to an off-road clinic to learn the fundamentals of handling this vehicle off road. I didn't use any of the GOAT modes (it wasn't necessary for the things we were doing).

After taking the Bronco camping (off road) and attending Off-Rodeo, here's what I can say - the modes let you focus on driving versus thinking about what you need to do when you're on a challenging part of the trail.

When doing things manually, I found myself forgetting to push a hero button, or doing something with the transmission. This is definitely my own inexperience but damn it was nice to toggle a mode and focus on going over an obstacle versus spending energy, "Did I disengage the sway bar?".

I fumbled with manually toggling the lockers, engaging 4L or 4H, etc... when I was out with my buddies.

The GOAT modes let me kind of "set it and forget" for some time. And for all intents and purposes, they're just shortcuts to things you'd do when hitting a specific part of the trail.

- If I'm going over high-speed scrub? Baja mode.

- Climbing up/down rocks? Rock-crawl (and may as well get hill-descent while I'm at it).

- Goofing off in the mud? Mud and ruts.

Ksjrb03

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Driving in rain isn't why the GOAT modes were created. They are specifically for offroading and rock climbing. If you aren't offroading, then you aren't using the modes for what they were designed for and are useless to you.
You must of missed the Slippery when you were scrolling through all them GOAT modes every day on the trails.

mgraced

Outer Banks
First Name
Grace
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Outer Banks!
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I was wondering abut the cameras. What mode activates the cameras???

BTW: I had/rode a BMW 1150GS for 17yrs. Great bike!

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I also live in Florida and everyone drives like a dick weed, so sport mode is necessary at times. Like others mentioned unless you’re off roading, they’re mostly unnecessary

VictoryLights

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Honda Pilot
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

They’re good for people like me who are light off roaders and don’t do it for a hobby. When I go off road I simply select whichever terrain I’m going into and have confidence that I’m in a decent setup.
Sponsored