Sponsored

Are the stock squatch tires really that bad?

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I’ve been looking at replacing my stock Sasquatch Goodyears for a little while now and wow are there a lot of options. But the thing that really gets me is the pricing. I can’t seem to justify paying double the cost of new oem’s for other brands. Can bfg’s or toyos or Bridgestones or whatever really be worth that much more money? The only complaint I’ve really heard is that the oem tires pick up and throw rocks like crazy, which they do. But other than that I think they’ve been great for 40k miles. To buy a new set of 35” Goodyears is $1024 otd. Most other major brands are double that cost. Now I’m not doing any major off roading or rock crawling but if I wanted to, I think these tires would be more than capable. So why is everyone so willing to pay more for these other brands? Why is it worth it to you?
Sponsored

Mikerkelly

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
23k miles on mine. No complaints (other than the rock flinging like you mentioned).
I've been rock crawling, I've been sideways in the desert at speed, and I've driven over dunes at the beach.
I pulled up to a group of Jeeps running a few different types of top brand name tires on a wet and soggy day on the trails. One of them mentioned they were having issues climbing due to slippery surfaces and then pointed out that my tread was mostly clear of mud whereas their tires were caked.

When it's time to replace my factory Goodyears I will shop around, but my first hand experience with these tires has been positive. I say no need to replace them unless they're worn out, or you just want bigger tires.

APEX REX

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Braptor and 21 2D Base 2.7 SAS
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I've had the stock goodyears on my SAS for 2 years and there is absolutely no reason to swap out these tires until they need replacing IMO. They handle very well on the road and in the rain. Zero complaints here.

OP
OP
FTBronco9

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That’s what I’m sayin. I’m just trying to find out why people are paying twice the money for different tires other than going to a bigger size? Is it just a name brand thing 🤷🏽‍♂️

First Name
Mr. Fantastix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Actually love these stock Goodyears. I've always been a Cooper or Michelin guy but these are great so far. Just went off-roading up some seriously questionable climbs and we were amazed at what we could get up. Just wished I would have taken some pics of my mud covered Bronk

Sponsored

contented

Badlands
First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW M2 Competition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
32k miles and still at 11/32. I like the tires and will replace with same. Yes, they threw a few rocks when new, but that went away after awhile. We live in the south so they’ve never seen snow and I don’t do mud. The GY’s have never let me down and taken me everywhere I’ve asked them to in Death Valley, Moab, Sand Hollow and various jeep badge of honor trails around the country. I rotate every oil change (6k miles) and watch tire pressure. They’re starting to get a bit noisy as they wear, but that’s the nature of the beast on these vehicle. To me the bad reputation is a classic case of internet pile on that doesn’t begin to represent the true overall picture.

Fordified1

Black Diamond
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Mustang ecoboost, 4wd Excursion, ‘69 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I’m not willing to pay more. I actually paid less and took a chance on highly rated offshore tires, but it’s not a daily driver. Only regret so far is they are a little noisy on road, but wife likes the sound for some reason lol. $214 per tire and they are great in mud and rocks.

I think many go with a different brand for a different look and a true 35” tire size.

Last edited:

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm keeping with the stock Goodyears as well. They do throw a lot of rocks but they offer two major advantages over the other available tires. One is cost already mentioned, the second is weight. Other brands are heavier tires and I don't want to jeopardize performance or gas mileage and go to more unspring weight on each corner. The stock Good Years and stock Sas wheels are heavy enough as it is.

Sponsored

Mlarv

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco/ 2022 F150/ 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You answered your own question. They worked for you with only one little complaint of the rocks fling. I also like them so far for the off roading I do, they have worked great. I watched another brand plug up with mud and get super slick, so it couldn't crawl over rocks.

When the time comes I will give them a serious look for my replacements.

Scott R Nelson

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Escape, 2-door Base Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I have been happy overall with the stock Goodyear tires, but I'll be getting something else when I wear these out (in about ten years at the rate I'm going).

I just did some tire pricing at Tire Rack and got two different prices for the Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT, $281.25 and $400.79. I couldn't figure out what the difference was between the two tires. Everything else that I looked at was between $350 and $400.

Here is the list of what I looked at, all in size LT315/70R17:
  • $403.99 BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM3
  • $350.99 Firestone Destination X/T
  • $281.25 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $400.79 Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT
  • $396.39 Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T
  • $351.99 Firestone Destination M/T2
I'm thinking the Firestone M/T2 best meets my needs, followed by the BFGoodrich KM3. By the time I actually need tires I could change my mind.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

rock flinging and rock crawling. Also, keep in mind when doing your math the resale value of your stock tires. Depending on where you live, you can usually recover half the cost of a set of new tires by selling your old set.

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

It all depends on what surfaces you are driving on... I found the goodyears to be competent (pretty good) on hard surfaces. Pavement, compacted earth, large rocks..... Not so good at soft surfaces, mud, deeper snow, loose gravel or decomposed granite. The tires that are good at the soft surface stuff are not as good at the hard surface stuff.... It all depends on where you do most of your driving.

kevin.gt

Base
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

my guess has a lot to do with brand loyalty and sponsorship. YouTubers immediately throwing on nittos for example. maybe extreme rock crawling or mud requires something more specialized, but I have been happy with the GY for trails around GA and the little bit I’ve done in Utah
Sponsored