indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My fears have been realized. They are now saying bad ABS module. Another 2k, bringing my total to over 3k.
Props for going off-road and sharing the adventure. But sorry to hear about the expanding cost. :(

Man that's one of the things I've loved about older 4x4s, avoiding the sometimes ridiculous high costs of parts on newer vehicles, if/when warranties no longer apply. That can be a gut punch.
Sponsored

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

damnit. Where is the ABS module? Is it in the line of fire from the rock? Or is it jacked up from the improvised ride home?

It is starting to sound like some of this might be warranty. I mean, I get that some of it was smashed, but electronics failing?

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Were any of the wires actually cut/shorted? Where is the ABS module located?
damnit. Where is the ABS module? Is it in the line of fire from the rock? Or is it jacked up from the improvised ride home?

It is starting to sound like some of this might be warranty. I mean, I get that some of it was smashed, but electronics failing?
The diagnosis is my trail improvisation is what damaged the ABS. So note to everyone, do not pinch off your brake lines!

They said another 4 days for the module to get here. I pleaded to have it overnighted, there's a chance it could be installed Friday then.

Had a weak moment and thought about picking up a used Wrangler for my trip. Luckily prices are obscene so I'll save us from that experience.

Nobody

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.snowtrek.org
Vehicle(s)
1970 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The diagnosis is my trail improvisation is what damaged the ABS. So note to everyone, do not pinch off your brake lines!

They said another 4 days for the module to get here. I pleaded to have it overnighted, there's a chance it could be installed Friday then.

Had a weak moment and thought about picking up a used Wrangler for my trip. Luckily prices are obscene so I'll save us from that experience.
Seems more likely there's a bad sensor or short that was telling the module to apply the brake. Hopefully the diagnosis isn't wrong.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Seems more likely there's a bad sensor or short that was telling the module to apply the brake. Hopefully the diagnosis isn't wrong.
Makes sense to me, but they gave me a story of how the internal pressure was too high by having one pinched off.

RhodeIslandRed

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
TD5 Defenders
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with the service dept, if any. But I'd try to work my way through the decision maker there. They decide if work is warranty. They will tell you that they don't; that it's Ford. But it starts with them and they have a lot of control.

i had a problem with a cv axle. Dealer service dept said it was my fault. I pushed back and they said they would have to send the parts to Ford for inspection. I told them to send them and I'll take the risk. I told them if Ford rejected the claim, I would deal with them, and ultimately pay if not warrantied.

They did the work, the $2500 bill was zero, and i never heard anything about it again.

Like you, I had a lot of pictures along the way.

Sponsored

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm glad I'm not trying that myself.
Understood. Not for the faint hearted. The acronyms probably make it appear more intimidating...

PMI = Programmable Module Installation
HCU = Hydraulic Control Unit
ABS = Anti-Lock Brake System (obviously)

This part...
  1. NOTE: The PMI process must begin with the current ABS module installed. If the current ABS module does not respond to the diagnostic scan tool, the tool may prompt for As-Built Data as part of the repair.
    Using a diagnostic scan tool, begin the PMI process for the ABS module following the on-screen instructions.
... you may be able to do yourself with FORScan.

Nevertheless, I doubt you can do the calibration part with FORScan...

Installation
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  1. Using a diagnostic scan tool, complete the PMI process for the ABS module following the on-screen instructions.
  1. Carry out the ABS Calibration, the HCU Solenoid Calibration and the Brake System Pressure Bleeding service functions following the the diagnostic scan tool on-screen instructions.
Personally, I would leave this entire procedure to the professionals.

OP
OP

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Understood. Not for the faint hearted. The acronyms probably make it appear more intimidating...

PMI = Programmable Module Installation
HCU = Hydraulic Control Unit
ABS = Anti-Lock Brake System (obviously)

This part...
  1. NOTE: The PMI process must begin with the current ABS module installed. If the current ABS module does not respond to the diagnostic scan tool, the tool may prompt for As-Built Data as part of the repair.
    Using a diagnostic scan tool, begin the PMI process for the ABS module following the on-screen instructions.
... you may be able to do yourself with FORScan.

Nevertheless, I doubt you can do the calibration part with FORScan...

Installation
  1. To install, reverse the removal procedure.
  2. Using a diagnostic scan tool, complete the PMI process for the ABS module following the on-screen instructions.
  3. Carry out the ABS Calibration, the HCU Solenoid Calibration and the Brake System Pressure Bleeding service functions following the the diagnostic scan tool on-screen instructions.
Personally, I would leave this entire procedure to the professionals.
I had a guy on FB chastise me for not doing it myself. I'd like to see him try. This is uncharted territory, I'm on a time crunch, and frankly I can afford to pay them to do it for me.

I can't help but refresh Fordpass every 5-10 minutes. I keep waiting for the mileage to jump up to indicate a test drive. The miles to empty started at 54, then dropped to 42 this morning, and now is at 80 on this last refresh.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.