Sponsored

Auto Start / Stop - how to permanently disable?

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

True however these vehicles haven’t been around that long. Logic dictates the more frequently something is used, the faster it will wear out.
Starters of today are not the starters of yesteryear. They’ve been upgraded to take many many more cycles.

Rigsurly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How was the install? Video makes it look straight forward.
I installed it when I first got the Bronco last year. I just watched the video while I was doing it. I had never done anything like that before so for me, I was amazed it was so easy. Took about 20 minutes and has worked flawlessly since

Sponsored

mikec426

Outer Banks
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 4dr Sqtch, 20 Triumph Tiger Rally, '04 Yam FZ1
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Until ProCal gets approved…
How do you mean? My ProCal remembers my setting. Haven’t touched that button in months. Was a pleasant surprise actually. I didn’t know the ProCal would do that.

Roger123

Badlands
First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GC, '14 Yamaha Super Tenere
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Shazamalingo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 OBX SAS
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

True however these vehicles haven’t been around that long. Logic dictates the more frequently something is used, the faster it will wear out.
I have had vehicles with ASS for probably 15 years. None of them have had any starter or battery etc issues. Oddly enough, my cars with ASS typically keep their original battery from purchase for about 8-10 years. Never replaced or had an issue with any starter.

Jruta

Base
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A51 Bronco 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Starters of today are not the starters of yesteryear. They’ve been upgraded to take many many more cycles.
Fair enough, but I’d STILL prefer to burn an extra 2cents worth of gas rather than replace a starter- even if they’re built “better” these days. Personal preference I suppose.

Sponsored

PrepVet

Big Bend
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I absolutely agree, my only push back is that auto start stop has been around on other cars for decades.

CarmeloS

Badlands
First Name
Carmelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 2dr Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

How do you mean? My ProCal remembers my setting. Haven’t touched that button in months. Was a pleasant surprise actually. I didn’t know the ProCal would do that.
I don’t know that ProCal for the 2024 models has been 50-state approved for sale yet.

Blame California.

Epiphany

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Fair enough, but I’d STILL prefer to burn an extra 2cents worth of gas rather than replace a starter- even if they’re built “better” these days. Personal preference I suppose.
You're thinking the right way.

The systems in place to satisfy the ASS requirements had to be not only more robust but more complex, at added cost. Batteries go dead after only a few weeks of not being used because they are under duress far more than in previous years. Replacement costs are much higher as a result.

If you were given a choice at time of purchase to either have or not have the ASS system installed by Ford (and possibly even given a discount to not have it) I highly doubt that many would say yes "I want to pay $XX so that I can push a simple button all the time and save .0x% in fuel costs." Nobody wants these systems, they just learn to live with them - or not.

The harnesses people install so that the vehicle remembers your preference is an excellent solution. It will reduce wear in the long run, that's just how it goes. The starting components are designed with a certain number of cycles in mind and with less frequent use you have the potential to get more time out of them. Nannies like this are the price we are paying because this is where we are now with IC vehicles that are forced to meet a standard(s). The returns are diminishing but the manufacturers have no choice but to implement these measures so that buyers can get what they want (in terms of vehicle choice) and the government gets what they want.