Sponsored

B6G Poll: can you drive a manual or not?

Can you drive a stick (manual)? Yes or No

• Total voters

Hoofnmouth

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford focus st
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I don' think this poll even represents the 6g community because people who drive a stick are much more likely to respond to the survey than those who do not.

It's like saying "How many of you do not pick your nose?" Would you *really* expect all the nose-pickers to fess up?

Not counting my boyfriend's mother's car, an automatic that he and I used to "borrow" for joyriding in the '70s, I officially learned to drive on a manual - a yellow VW bug, in the San Bernardino Mountains, in the 1980s. I guess that boyfriend figured the threat of driving off a cliff would keep me focused, and it worked. But it was not rocket science. It didn't take any kind of masterful skill. Seriously - look around at all the people you know you can drive a stick. Do they look like geniuses?

I've only owned one manual - a 198-something Isuzu Trooper II that I drove from Nebraska to Kentucky in 1997 (then promptly traded for a Camry) but I've driven friend's sticks (usually Jeeps, and usually because we're on a long road trip and want to share driving so we can take turns sleeping) and even when months or even years passed between drives, the skills didn't disappear. It's pretty much like riding a bike.

So to anyone bemoaning the fact that they're stuck with an auto 'cause their significant other doesn't have the mental capacity or the coordination to learn how to use a stick shift, a gas pedal, a brake, and a clutch, well, you have my sympathy. But if they do and you are simply unwilling to encourage them to learn, or unwilling to teach them, then shame on you.

When I think back on how dumb I was in my 20s, yet I still had the wherewithal to learn how to drive that bug, I'm convinced that anyone - yes, anyone - can learn. Like, in one day. With a patient partner.
Well good points,i asked my gf this am if we were in the desert and i got sanke bit could you drive our manual truck to the hospital.

She verbally goes thru the steps to drive it perfectly,this all from a previously thought to be untrainable pilot...playing oppossum we used to call it.
Sponsored

sjp

Base
First Name
Susan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Well good points,i asked my gf this am if we were in the desert and i got sanke bit could you drive our manual truck to the hospital.

She verbally goes thru the steps to drive it perfectly,this all from a previously thought to be untrainable pilot...playing oppossum we used to call it.
That's hilarious. I tell'ya, whenever a guy drops by my house on a morning like today's, I'm tempted to suddenly "forget" how to use a snow shovel!

Sounds like you're safe for desert driving - and snakes. She's got it all figured out.

Namrekcad

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dakota, xt4, Cruze
Your Bronco Model
Base
I am 58 years old, fully able to drive a manual. What I can't do is drive a manual AND drink coffee on the way to work in the morning. Therefore, I am getting an auto.
57 going on 58
I can drive a manual while leaving work early and changing into golf shorts shoes on the way, and drink coffee
Most work done at stop lights, once up to speed change is on :) (warning do not attemp this)

base mansquatch (with raised suspension less people looking in) :)

Sponsored

stormshadow3800

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Jetta TDI, Bronco Badlands (SAS)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I would 100% take a manual if it was available with 2.7L and Sasquatch. I understand that at least the Sasquatch part of this is possible on '22 model, but I'm impatient. I also just can't bring myself to get a 2.3L in a 4 door off road vehicle. I've seen the videos, I've heard the reviews stating it has plenty of power... Until I can drive one myself and verify this on a vehicle I'm spending 60k on, nope. I considered getting the 2 door, specifically to do the 2.3L and manual. I've gone back and forth on this so many times, I just pulled the trigger.

I'm guessing I'm in the same boat as a lot of people. Impatience for delivery, wanting 2.7L (clearly the more popular choice) and Sasquatch. I may end up on a short term lease, specifically to trade in on a Manual Squatch when available.

AmericanFreedom

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Female here, too!

I learned how to drive on a manual as well. My mom taught me.

My daily driver and my husband's are both manuals.

Bronco will be a weekend toy (once the newness wears off, lol). Definitely getting the manual 2.3, but still not sure if I'm getting Base, BD, or BL. Most likely 2 door.

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg
sick whips!!!

Sean D

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW EOS, Jeep Rubicon, Acura RDX, Yamaha Roadstar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
@JAGSarge im 46...never learned how to drive a manual! I’m barely tall enough to see over the dash to drive an automatic! 🤣😂 I may need a phone book or booster to drive my Bronco!! Stay tuned on that!!! 😎😀
@NurseA.J, at 5'6", I've been considered short in most situations. I drove an 80 Corvette Stingray once with a 4-speed. To get the clutch all the way in I had to sit so close to the steering wheel I would have been in a bad way if I got into an accident:(

Psybako

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fusion, Odyssey
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Learned how to drive on a manual, started out way before I ever got behind the wheel shifting the gears from the passenger seat around town whenever my dad was driving somewhere. Took my driver's test with a manual, and had no fear driving around San Francisco in a stick shift with a car full of passengers. Served my 5 year grad school sentence driving around LA and Orange counties working a manual transmission.

2.7, auto, Sasquatch on the order sheet. I don't have anything to prove to anybody, and a manual isn't the right transmission for this vehicle, FOR ME.

Sponsored

ohvrider

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford F-150 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have the same car, a ‘17 Tremec - I have drove a lot of manuals but - to their benefit the SS has one of the more difficult to use manuals
Are you talking about the Federal required 1st to 4th gear skip feature?

I bypass that by hitting 3,000 RPM's in first, then 2nd works.

The SS is almost impossible to stall IMO, that is why I was amazed my coworker could do it 6 times in couple minutes. Much easier to drive than a Golf TDi or Mini cooper. Much more solid shifts too.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you talking about the Federal required 1st to 4th gear skip feature?

I bypass that by hitting 3,000 RPM's in first, then 2nd works.

The SS is almost impossible to stall IMO, that is why I was amazed my coworker could do it 6 times in couple minutes. Much easier to drive than a Golf TDi or Mini cooper. Much more solid shifts too.
No the skip gear has been on cars since the 1980s, I rarely see it come up.
My issue is it has no feel in the clutch, you can’t tell when your at engagement and it makes shifts a little harsh. I say that with tons of experience on manuals. I think the car is very easy to stall when your not used to the clutch.

LeshMcG

Black Diamond
First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Learned how to drive manual on a Mustang Cobra many years ago. Glad I know how but will never have a daily vehicle that's a stick.
Sponsored