Sponsored

Badlands Non-SAS - Your Thoughts & Pics?

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are getting a manual transmission, the Sasquatch package is 1000% not worth it. It’s effectively a $4090 set of tires, and you can do much better aftermarket

———

If you are getting an automatic transmission, I personally would argue that it is unnecessary, but it ultimately depends on what you are doing with it.

If this Bronco is a daily driver, I’d definitely skip the Sasquatch package. If it will be traveling on-road 95%+ of the time, I’d skip Sasquatch. If this is a vacation vehicle that you will be taking off-road a handful of weekends out of the year, then I’d still skip it.

BUT if this is a dedicated off-roader, a rock-crawling rig, or you someday plan on going bigger with 39” tires… definitely get the Sasquatch package, as it is the only way to get the 4.70 axle ratio with an automatic.

———

Personally, I got the manual transmission, so I skipped the Sasquatch package. No brainer for me.
Sponsored

_jeff

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands, 23 Lightning Pro, 14 FLD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is one key difference if you plan to wheel more hardcore or possibly go much beyond 35s. The standard Badlands comes with two different final drive ratios: 4.46 and 4.7 in the automatic and manual transmission configurations. However, the Sasquatch package comes standard with 4.7.

So, if you'd like the mechanical advantage of the 4.7 drive ratio and don't want the manual (crawler gear is magnificent in 4L btw) then I would suggest going for the Sasquatch package.

And the small difference in clearance does show – I've wheeled with Badlands + Sasquatch and there were definitely sections where I tested the bash plates and others didn't need to.

All that to say, I think the standard Badlands with 7MT is the way to go if you like driving a manual.

MNBigfoot

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Stock badlands with upgraded wheels here. We love it. While it's not as tall, it does have more wheel travel, and considering most rigs I build are always low slung, with lots of tire and lots of travel, this fit right in. Once these BFG's wear out, will replace them with a set of Nitto 35x11.50r17's, and should be about perfect.
I thought the point of the more lift, less travel of Sas vs BLs is to avoid rubbing issues (at full compression) when going with 35s like you are doing. Seems like more wheel travel while being the right fit for 33's, would be the wrong fit for wheeling 35's. If I'm incorrect, could anyone explain the reason why the engineers at Ford limited the wheel travel on a $4000 upgrade package? Seems counter-intuitive.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I thought the point of the more lift, less travel of Sas vs BLs is to avoid rubbing issues (at full compression) when going with 35s like you are doing. Seems like more wheel travel while being the right fit for 33's, would be the wrong fit for wheeling 35's. If I'm incorrect, could anyone explain the reason why the engineers at Ford limited the wheel travel on a $4000 upgrade package? Seems counter-intuitive.
Something had to have come up in testing, but I have yet to have any rubbing and I've stuffed the front tires many times.

DaddyMuffin

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two convertibles, a station wagon, and a bus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think _jeff hits the nail on the head

There is one key difference if you plan to wheel more hardcore or possibly go much beyond 35s. The standard Badlands comes with two different final drive ratios: 4.46 and 4.7 in the automatic and manual transmission configurations. However, the Sasquatch package comes standard with 4.7.

So, if you'd like the mechanical advantage of the 4.7 drive ratio and don't want the manual (crawler gear is magnificent in 4L btw) then I would suggest going for the Sasquatch package.

And the small difference in clearance does show – I've wheeled with Badlands + Sasquatch and there were definitely sections where I tested the bash plates and others didn't need to.

All that to say, I think the standard Badlands with 7MT is the way to go if you like driving a manual.
I have a manual badlands non sas with upgraded beadlocks. Like so many others have said, it’s more than enough for on-road driving with a cool look. I’ve also wheeled with sas owners and done everything they could do, but with extra skid plate touches.

So I’m going to echo - if you want excellent off road capability including for crawling, etc. Badlands manual non-sas is where it’s at for someone who wheels a dozen times in a year. If you are hitting tough stuff more often or don’t want a manual, then the extra sas expense may be worth it.

If you want to see some live sas vs non-sas action, check out this video from Trail Militia.

They were filming and spotting at Bronco Bash and posted my non sas navigating Hard Corner on Gold Mountain at around the 15min mark. I was the only non sas on this run, so if you watch the whole video, you’ll see good comparisons (plus lots of cool vintage Broncos and a Bronco Raptor).

Ford Bronco Badlands Non-SAS - Your Thoughts & Pics? 5A830DED-9154-49E9-B84D-1E02B923897F

Sponsored

Last toy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco sport badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nobody has mentioned getting the SAS package eliminates crash bars. That's a deal breaker for me. Can only imagine what Ford charges to buy them in the parts department.

eastbaybronco

Badlands
First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco 4-Door CG Sasquatch 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2 door you can get away with it. 4-door, Sas is a must or it just does not look right.

4avor8ntfair

Badlands
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BL-non SAS, 2.3 auto
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Very happy with mine, with the level kit! I wouldn’t mind a 1-2” lift, but I made it through 95% of Hell’s Revenge as-is…and I’d like to still be able to fit in the garage 😅

bikearch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 camaro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lov my non sas badlands. I can easily keep up with my sas friends and I got the mid package as most of the sas upgrades where not perfomance base but just nicities. I love the wash out provision in the floors.

AJKitebrder40

Badlands
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 Bronco Badlands 2D SAS, Eruption Green
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm in the same boat too......except the main thing I definitely want is MGV, so...I'm between a Black Diamond SAS and Badlands Non-SAS, price is basically the same and I lose front locker and disconnecting sway bar. I'm mostly using it as an overlanding/surf vehicle, with off-roading mostly on moderate trails in the NC/TN mountains.

My biggest issue with the SAS would be fitting it in the garage with a hard top and rails. I guess I really only need to garage park it in the summer anyways (when I take the top off).

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Nobody has mentioned getting the SAS package eliminates crash bars. That's a deal breaker for me. Can only imagine what Ford charges to buy them in the parts department.
It’s a few hundred. Not too bad.

BUT, kind of a mute point anyway on Badlands. Badlands already has front/rear lockers standard, so really the only reason to go Sasquatch on a Badlands is for the 35“+ tires. I could see someone buying a Black Diamond Sasquatch (for example) to get the front locker, and then downsizing to ~33” tires. But doesn’t make sense to do that on Badlands unless you just enjoy lighting money on fire.

Flourman

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F350 Tremor, 2019 Beta 300RR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Stock badlands with upgraded wheels here. We love it. While it's not as tall, it does have more wheel travel, and considering most rigs I build are always low slung, with lots of tire and lots of travel, this fit right in. Once these BFG's wear out, will replace them with a set of Nitto 35x11.50r17's, and should be about perfect.
A man with great taste there.

BroncoBarn

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Completely happy with my 4 door standard Badlands. I went to the Off Rodeo in Moab last fall and chose the Badlands with 33s just to see how it would do. It handled everything the ones with Sas did and that is more than I will ever need. I actually like the look of the 33s rather than the wider flares of the Sas. I also was not a fan of the Sas wheels and tires.
We did the same thing at the Moab offrodeo because we have a non sas Badlands, no disappointments with the standard badlands.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands