Sponsored

Based on the response/reactions on here, could the Raptor end up pushing Ford to go nuclear and drop a V8 in a street legal bronco?

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So before you light your torches and hurl your pitchforks, I know already the V8 has been discussed ad nauseum on here and the consensus, even from Ford is "NO V8 FOR YOU!"
I get it, but I'm a bit curious now, with the 392 Jeep having its honking V8, the majority of reactions not being overly impressed with the Braptor, and the Braptor most likely being underpowered compared to the 392... If the demand flops a bit for the Braptor, I think Ford might say enough, and release the kracken so to speak.....
Just my opinion, curious if anyone might think the same.
Sponsored

NurseDan

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Focus
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Who knows what Ford’s product planners have in the pipeline. I think Stellantis is milking the large V8 for all they can, while they can. I think Ford is trying to stay ahead of regulations and project a more responsible image. I believe the F150 Raptor R will be the last hurrah for monster V8 (excluding vehicles designed for work). The Bronco Raptor should sell fine, but I doubt they’d make a V8 version no matter which way it goes.

bajabronco57

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
A couple things.

I think people don't seem to grasp what the Raptor is "purpose built" for. Are we going to have the same outrage that the Everglades has a snorkel when people don't use it to do water crossing? The Raptor's selling feature is desert running and that comes with the suspension. Outside of say a borderline trophy truck f150 you don't see a ton of V8 prerunners. The vast majority are V6's. V8 and excessive power is not needed for desert running, it's all about suspension. The Raptor isn't competing against Jeep outside of KOH marketing and KOH is more than just rock crawling.

Second, I believe with the newer restrictions on emissions I don't see Ford wasting a V8 on a Bronco. They already can't make enough to meet demand. There is no reason to attract more customers when you already can't fulfill all your customers orders. Save those V8's for the Mustangs.

I don't care if they add a V8 to the Bronco, but I just don't see it as necessary.

Tricky Dick

Badlands
First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TD-Distributing.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco, 88 Bronco II, 03 Ford F250
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I still don't see it happening. The Braptor will just be a tune away from 392 power numbers anyway.

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I don't see Ford doing it.

V8 Coyote in the F-150 produces 400 horsepower and 410 ft-lb of torque. The 3.0L EcoBoost in the Explorer ST produces 400 horsepower and 415 ft-lb of torque. They haven't release the Bronco Raptor numbers yet, but they did say they are targeting 400 horsepower, so it'll probably be similar to the Explorer ST.

In addition, the 3.0L EcoBoost is basically just a larger 2.7L EcoBoost, so Ford cut a lot of engineering man-hours when it came to developing this vehicle by going with an engine similar to the one that is already included in the Bronco.

If they do a V8, it'll have to be a turbo V8 for it to be worth it. Probably the 5.2L Predator V8 they put in the Mustang. And if they do that it'll make the vehicle very expensive, so they're likely going to save that for something like a Bronco Raptor R special edition—similar to the F-150 Raptor R.
The predator 5.2 is supercharged and I doubt if the bronco ever got a V8 it would be that one.

Sponsored

StyleGuy

First Edition
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco FE, Jaguar F-Pace, GMC Denali XL
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Although I would love a V8 and would purchase it, I would be shocked if Ford put one in the Bronco. The v6 produces similar numbers and the engineering is done. Stellantis has already stated the Hemi will be done in a couple years and that's the direction the entire auto industry is heading. The next gen will no doubt have some form of plug in Hybrid or electric version similar to the Jeep 4XE. They have great performance and keep the regulators/wall street happy. If it has 30-40 miles of electric range it would work for me and I'll get one.

OP
OP
gentlemanbronco

gentlemanbronco

Base
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford fiesta 5.0
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Hilariously enough on my drive home I looked at my cars current mpg 26.5 and thought damn I’m gonna get half of that with the 2.7… then I thought shoot if they come out with a hybrid bronco I’m definitely going to trade for that eventually. 😂

PNWbroncoFam1977

Black Diamond
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 4Runner, 97 Montero, 2016 F150 Platinum
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I dont think the Jeep 392 is going to be around for long with Stelantis announcing that the HEMI was going away in the majority of their line up. The days of the V8 are numbered and the end is approaching fast. An as much as I loved my V8 muscles cars back in high school the reality is that most 4cyl and nearly all current V6's pump out way better power with a fraction of the displacement.

If you think about it most of the V8's from the 80's and 90's barely made 200hp and even less were making over 300hp. The basic 2.3l in the bronco belts out 275hp on the cheap gas!!

Big Boss

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Yeah, but it's the only thing that makes sense.

Ford has the the following V8 engines currently in production:
  • 5.0L Coyote
  • 5.2L Predator
  • 6.2L Boss V8
  • 7.3L Godzilla
Doesn't make sense to put in the V8 Coyote because they can get better performance numbers out of the EcoBoost engines. The 6.2L is likely too big for the Bronco's engine bay, and the 7.3L would just be way over the top... so... that leaves the 5.2L.

Either way... if they do a V8 Bronco it'll probably be whatever V8 they put into the F-150 Raptor R. I think most of the rumors for that are the 5.2L Predator, but Ford could always do something unexpected.
True but honestly I think they are putting the 5.2 in the Raptor R just because they can and to steal some thunder from the TRX not because it's a good fit.

I'm all for excessive and just because but putting a 760 hp supercharged engine in the bronco doesn't make a case to me

Sponsored

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So before you light your torches and hurl your pitchforks, I know already the V8 has been discussed ad nauseum on here and the consensus, even from Ford is "NO V8 FOR YOU!"
I get it, but I'm a bit curious now, with the 392 Jeep having its honking V8, the majority of reactions not being overly impressed with the Braptor, and the Braptor most likely being underpowered compared to the 392... If the demand flops a bit for the Braptor, I think Ford might say enough, and release the kracken so to speak.....
Do I think Ford will ever stuff a V8 into a Bronco? No. Do I think somebody will do it on their own? Yes. Will the 3.0 Ecoboost be enough? Most likely.

WuNgUn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 door Squatched
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doubt it... But expect a Bronco Raptor R version later with a 3.5L 👍🏻👍🏻

First Name
no
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT; '20 Raptor S/CREW
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I don't think a V8 is a better option. It is much heavier than the ecoboost. It won't handle as well

Diydner

Outer Banks
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bronco Raptor R coming in 2024. 2021 reservation holders still waiting for their bronco will get first dibs 😆😂🤣