Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Do you know if I could dial the lift back on some 5100s then get the 2" from a Brace Lift kit? Do they work together? I dont see why not.
Im a little concerned about "maxing out" a 5100...
This is stacking lifts, absolutely doable but at his time is not recommend till we figure what a good cv-axle angle is for long term use.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Bruno

Base
First Name
Bruno
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

This is stacking lifts, absolutely doable but at his time is not recommend till we figure what a good cv-axle angle is long term use.
gotcha - so.... anything over a 2.5" lift is uncharted territory for the CV-Axle?

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am soon to install a pair of the 6112 with the included springs.
Goal is to help make up for additional front end weight of my Buckstop front bumper and it's winch. Hoping to get back .75inch, and evaluate, perhaps adjust it up a bit.

Feb/'24 Update:
Did install the 6112's in the front only (for now), and achieved the result I was after with the heavier front Bumper...come late fall '24 hope to budget the additional expense and add the same 6112's for the back. The new shocks are definitely an improvement and after 2 months still feel superior to the front original oem badland shocks and springs.

Last edited:

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

gotcha - so.... anything over a 2.5" lift is uncharted territory for the CV-Axle?
For SAS length shocks, 5100 & 6100 shocks the following is the current assumption.

Spacer lifts
3" is the magic number for an instant fail.
2" is the magic number for a possible fail
1.6" is considered safe(I blew a CV axle so I call bs)
1" Leveling kit should be safe? And what I am running now.

Last edited:

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those lift numbers are at the wheel. There is about a 1.5 amplification factor at the wheel in the front end. So if you add a 1” spacer you get about 1.5” lift. AccuTune offroad tested some shock lengths by lifting front end to allow for full drop and rotating wheel to check for binding. They noticed no binding for 1” increased shock length over stock but binding in CV half shafts for 1.25” increased length. So 1” spacer should not cause binding. However that doesn’t mean you won’t get reduced longevity of CV.

I agree with @Snacktime. Conventional wisdom suggests 1” spacer or 1.5” lift at wheel is fine. But maybe borderline causing undo stresses even though not binding. 🤷‍♂️

Just some data to think about. If you don’t go out and use your rig like snacktime you will be fine. Based on some of his threads, he is probably in full extension 90% of the time. 😂

Sponsored

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have 6100s with SAS springs, but only 4dr 2.3 OBX flavor (springs are softer than 4dr 2.7 badlands flavor). So I got a little less lift in front than advertised. It will probably take two attempts to get it right. However if you have the heavier ford springs, lift maybe close to advertised.

OP
OP

PizzaBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have 6100s with SAS springs, but only 4dr 2.3 OBX flavor (springs are softer than 4dr 2.7 badlands flavor). So I got a little less lift in front than advertised. It will probably take two attempts to get it right. However if you have the heavier ford springs, lift maybe close to advertised.
Do you know what circlip settings you used and what the results were? Any additional weight from winch/bumpers/etc?

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For SAS length shocks, 5100 & 6100 shocks the following is the current assumption.

3" is the magic number for an instant fail.
2" is the magic number for a possible fail
1.6" is considered safe(I blew a CV axle so I call bs)
1" Leveling kit should be safe? And what I am running now.
Those lift numbers are at the wheel. There is about a 1.5 amplification factor at the wheel in the front end. So if you add a 1” spacer you get about 1.5” lift. AccuTune offroad tested some shock lengths by lifting front end to allow for full drop and rotating wheel to check for binding. They noticed no binding for 1” increased shock length over stock but binding in CV half shafts for 1.25” increased length. So 1” spacer should not cause binding. However that doesn’t mean you won’t get reduced longevity of CV.

I presume you both are referring to lift heights over Sasquatch height? If the lift heights are from the baseline HOSS 1.0, then I don't see how Ford is confident in their Ford Performance 2" lift with the non -adjustable 6100 Bilsteins such that they offer the 36k warranty.

OP
OP

PizzaBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I presume you both are referring to lift heights over Sasquatch height? If the lift heights are from the baseline HOSS 1.0, then I don't see how Ford is confident in their Ford Performance 2" lift with the non -adjustable 6100 Bilsteins such that they offer the 36k warranty.
A lift of 2.5” over your starting height is also where Bilstein recommends an aftermarket control arm. So capping the Ford Performance version at 2” means they didn’t have to worry about including additional parts or worry about the customer procuring those parts on their own.

I wonder if the FP version is the equivalent of a 6112 set to the first or second circlip. That would match the chart install measurements on a non-Bilstein Bronco and make sense, I guess.

Beach_Bum

Black Diamond
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Diamond Bronco, 2023 Outerbanks Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

A lift of 2.5” over your starting height is also where Bilstein recommends an aftermarket control arm. So capping the Ford Performance version at 2” means they didn’t have to worry about including additional parts or worry about the customer procuring those parts on their own.

I wonder if the FP version is the equivalent of a 6112 set to the first or second circlip. That would match the chart install measurements on a non-Bilstein Bronco and make sense, I guess.
I don't know what was involved in the branding of the FP lift. I did speak with the Bilstein rep at SCE and he mentioned that the internals are the same as the 6100-series. Just that they are non-adjustable with obvious rebranding. Of course, they are offered at a premium and only extend a warranty if installed by a dealer or ASE certified shop.

I was looking for clarification on the generalization of the lift heights mentioned earlier. If it is 2" above HOSS 1.0, then there should be no concern on the other components. But a 2" above HOSS 2.0, then yes, the other components will be stressed and possibly fail.

Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I don't know what was involved in the branding of the FP lift. I did speak with the Bilstein rep at SCE and he mentioned that the internals are the same as the 6100-series. Just that they are non-adjustable with obvious rebranding. Of course, they are offered at a premium and only extend a warranty if installed by a dealer or ASE certified shop.

I was looking for clarification on the generalization of the lift heights mentioned earlier. If it is 2" above HOSS 1.0, then there should be no concern on the other components. But a 2" above HOSS 2.0, then yes, the other components will be stressed and possibly fail.
Those heights are for spacer lifts that lengthen the suspension, sorry for the confusion. You can run up to 4" of lift and still align the front end. A arms help but no one has proved how much additional caster is gained by swapping out control arms.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Those heights are for spacer lifts that lengthen the suspension, sorry for the confusion. You can run up to 4" of lift and still align the front end. A arms help but no one has proved how much additional caster is gained by swapping out control arms.
Yes those are for spacer lifts. Spring compression lifts that add preload by moving lower spring seat perch, like the 6100s or the FP lift don’t add length to the shock or distance between frame and lower control arm. So they won’t increase CV half shaft angles at full extension, max extension distance has not changed.

The trade off is that for spring compression lift you will change the equilibrium position at static load or ride height. that is what is giving you lift, essentially increased spring preload. This will also then result in less usable stroke for extension or down travel. Not really a big deal if you are not rock crawling and just doing more high speed stuff. Most of us aren’t.

The oem control arms are great and you should be able to get wheel alignment even at highest lift setting for 6100s. The comments for CV binding and spacer lifts were for stacking lifts such as these spring compression lifts with spacers. If you don’t get the full advertised lift in the front form these it is most likely fine to add a 1” level, which will have a spacer height of <1”.

with extra weight on the front it is likely you won’t achieve advertised level when using the stock springs and 6100s. The FP set comes with fixed perch collar and probably uslightly stiffer springs. Not sure how level the front would be with bumpers and winch. Maybe someone has done it.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Do you know what circlip settings you used and what the results were? Any additional weight from winch/bumpers/etc?
I have a 4dr 2.3 OBX with no added weight mods all plastic bumpers and skids. I am on the lowest setting for both front and back for now. I still have the massive stock OBX tires. 😁 I purchased the SAS stock springs for my configuration from @flip and installed myself. Those are a bit softer than the SAS springs for 4dr badlands 2.7 with metal bumper and skids. I have a slight rake maybe 0.5-.75”. I like it that way because a do some camping and load up the back.

I am still thinking thru exactly what I want to do with respect to lift and tires. For many of us who are not rock crawling these spring compression lifts make sense. The FP one is probably very similar to the 6100s, just not adjustable. I like having the adjustability, but if you are having someone else install, then spending a little extra for the FP lift makes sense and keeps warranty. If you do want to max out the springs and add extra weight, I would not stress over adding a small spacer level kit in the front if it is low.

OP
OP

PizzaBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee L
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have a 4dr 2.3 OBX with no added weight mods all plastic bumpers and skids. I am on the lowest setting for both front and back for now. I still have the massive stock OBX tires. 😁 I purchased the SAS stock springs for my configuration from @flip and installed myself. Those are a bit softer than the SAS springs for 4dr badlands 2.7 with metal bumper and skids. I have a slight rake maybe 0.5-.75”. I like it that way because a do some camping and load up the back.

I am still thinking thru exactly what I want to do with respect to lift and tires. For many of us who are not rock crawling these spring compression lifts make sense. The FP one is probably very similar to the 6100s, just not adjustable. I like having the adjustability, but if you are having someone else install, then spending a little extra for the FP lift makes sense and keeps warranty. If you do want to max out the springs and add extra weight, I would not stress over adding a small spacer level kit in the front if it is low.
But your measured lift seemed to roughly match the chart? I’m not terribly concerned with a little rake for the reason you mentioned - there will be stuff in the trunk from time to time. The 6100/6112 seem to be pretty universally liked as an upgrade to the stock suspension, regardless of Bronco model.

I have no way of knowing but I’m guessing the 6112 springs are slightly longer, since all of the numbers on the chart are higher than the 6100 with oem springs.

87-Z28

Outer Banks
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

@PizzaBronco @Beach_Bum @flip

I changed my oil today so took some suspension measurements. Note it is pretty easy to run out of extensions travel especially in the front. Measurements are probably only accurate to 1/4”, old eyes.

Bronco suspension measurements

Trim: non SAS 4dr 2.3 OBX 4.27 gear ratio; no weight mods
  • bilstein 6100s on lowest preload setting with OBX 4dr 2.3 SAS springs: front MB3Z-5310-J ; rear NB3Z-5560-E
  • Lift measured center axle to fender
  • Assumes wheel travel amplification on front of 1.5/1 and 1/1 on rear
  • Measurements taken 6/03/23
Front
  • Ford weight of 2543 lbs
  • lift of 26.25”
  • Shock length of 22.8” with 6.3” of stroke (from specs)
  • Static load at ride height: shock compression is 2.3
  • Shock compression travel is 4.0” and extension is 2.3”
  • Wheel up travel is 6.0” and down travel is 3.5”
Rear
  • Ford weight of 2034 lbs
  • Lift of 26.75”
  • Shock length of 25.6” with 7.5” of stroke (from specs)
  • Static load at ride height: shock compression is 4.0”
  • Shock and wheel up travel is 3.5” and down travel is 4.0”
Sponsored