First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, GT350, 991, Rubicon, Viper, Nissan Z32
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll go against the popular opinion here and give my perspective.

I kinda liked the MGV a little better in looks and feel but went with leather for all the other reasons.

I like the carpet better. I know the difference because I have put the liners in a Rubicon before and had a FJ with the plastic liners. It’s just a little nicer/quieter/cooler/warmer with the carpet IMO. My current Rubicon has carpet and it still looks great after a lot of wheeling.

The non tilt headrest are also a no go for me. I hate any forward tilt to the head rest and while it’s not as bad as the ones in my old JK Rubicon, the adjustable ones are much nicer. You have them tilted forward permanently with the MGV.

I like the power seats. You only get these with the leather.

I also have a little child that will use the back cup holders in the four door every day. With the MGV you have no rear cup holders in the four door.

All of these are just personal preference. No wrong answer. The leather is also only about $2000.00. If you are spending $50k-$60k that is not a large part of the price. I have put katzkins in several cars over the years and the price installed will be higher than that and the hassle of ordering and installing these days is 10 fold worse than it was just a few years ago. Also, if you spend the money later on the aftermarket leather you still lose all the other things. The aftermarket leather won’t give me the rear armrest and cup holders. It won’t add the adjustable headrest. There still won’t be power seats or carpet.

Last but not least, I live in the south and think the MGV will be hotter than the leather in the heat with the top down. We go to the lake a lot and if that MGV is the same as a boat, it hits a little harder with the heat than your normal car leather seating.

YMMV
Sponsored

Last edited:

frankk

Badlands
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lotus Elise
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Generalized: If you go with the spirit of the BL/BD - pop the drain and hose it out - MGV (and no cloth headliner). If you wanted a FE but couldn't get one, Lux with leather and headliner.

I was concerned about the quality of the MGV but after seeing it in person, it's fine.

OP
OP
Adam80

Adam80

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the input -very helpful. I am not a heavy off-roader but do plan on taking the top off in summer and maybe trying out a local trail park. I was initially looking at outer banks but was not a fan of the brown or blue leather, which is what led me looking at badlands. I am going to keep the leather on the order for now but will try to find a dealer than has MGV I can sit in and check out.

Thanks again!

Steelbama

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Tacoma/2015 Mustang GT PP
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi all, first off this is my first post - brand new to the group and have my order in for a 4 door Badlands. I know this topic is covered in older feeds but looking for updated info based on everyone's experience over time with the seat types.

I am between the leather and MGV seats - I usually get leather in vehicles but like the idea of the vinyl for durability, ease of cleaning and like that you can wash out the floors. I also wonder how the leather does with sun exposure over time with the top down. To me leather is always more "premium" but I hear great things about MGV....

Thoughts?
When the MGV seats were first announced, I was skeptical, but finally received my Badlands and gotta say... I am pretty impressed by them. They feel and look great.

leonw411

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks everyone for the input -very helpful. I am not a heavy off-roader but do plan on taking the top off in summer and maybe trying out a local trail park. I was initially looking at outer banks but was not a fan of the brown or blue leather, which is what led me looking at badlands. I am going to keep the leather on the order for now but will try to find a dealer than has MGV I can sit in and check out.

Thanks again!

I have only had mine a couple days, but multiple people have asked to sit in it. As someone posted earlier, everyone thinks its leather. It honestly looks great. I cannot speak for long term durability though. I also saw/sat in Badlands early last year, in addition to test driving other Broncos with the MGV. I am so glad I went that route.

Sponsored

TyGuy40

Badlands
First Name
Ty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Triumph Bonneville
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The only advantage to Leather (vs. MGV) is I think you also get power seats in the 4-door. Whereas, the MGV does not have power seats. I have a 2-door, so it's all moot anyways, but I love my MGV.

the blue potato

Wildtrak
First Name
Mr. Gone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 Ford F100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Here's where I netted out with this question....got to drive a manequin last year (BL) with MGV...and was really impressed with surface comfort and stitching. Saw leather and examined that as well. But what was a deciding factor for me for MGV for my BL was the water/rain issues. Ive owned a few 'topless' vehicles and everyone of them was caught in a rain shower (parking lot, etc). My top will be off more often than not, and therefore I want water friendly interior, meaning MGV. I can always change to leather later (aka Katskinz, etc).

Cliff B

Badlands
First Name
Cliff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979Bronco Ranger XLT, 2017 4Runnner Limited 4x4,
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ll go against the popular opinion here and give my perspective.

I kinda liked the MGV a little better in looks and feel but went with leather for all the other reasons.

I like the carpet better. I know the difference because I have put the liners in a Rubicon before and had a FJ with the plastic liners. It’s just a little nicer/quieter/cooler/warmer with the carpet IMO. My current Rubicon has carpet and it still looks great after a lot of wheeling.

The non tilt headrest are also a no go for me. I hate any forward tilt to the head rest and while it’s not as bad as the ones in my old JK Rubicon, the adjustable ones are much nicer. You have them tilted forward permanently with the MGV.

I like the power seats. You only get these with the leather.

I also have a little child that will use the back cup holders in the four door every day. With the MGV you have no rear cup holders in the four door.

All of these are just personal preference. No wrong answer. The leather is also only about $2000.00. If you are spending $50k-$60k that is not a large part of the price. I have put katzkins in several cars over the years and the price installed will be higher than that and the hassle of ordering and installing these days is 10 fold worse than it was just a few years ago. Also, if you spend the money later on the aftermarket leather you still lose all the other things. The aftermarket leather won’t give me the rear armrest and cup holders. It won’t add the adjustable headrest. There still won’t be power seats or carpet.

Last but not least, I live in the south and think the MGV will be hotter than the leather in the heat with the top down. We go to the lake a lot and if that MGV is the same as a boat, it hits a little harder with the heat than your normal car leather seating.

YMMV
Ditto, exactly why we chose leather.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone know if the back portion of the seat is power or just the bottom cushion?

Also is there more adjustment with the power option?

our Mustang has the manual lever for adjusting the seat back but the bottom is power.

Would prefer power everything

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dodge charger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Does anyone know if the back portion of the seat is power or just the bottom cushion?

Also is there more adjustment with the power option?

our Mustang has the manual lever for adjusting the seat back but the bottom is power.

Would prefer power everything
Can't imagine it wouldn't be full power. Order guide states 10 way for driver and 8 way for passenger. I believe the lumbar support is the difference between the two.

Screenshot_20220129-215525_Dropbox.jpg

Sponsored

Booker34

Badlands
First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks again!
FWIW, back in June Bronco Nation had two Badlands here in Omaha, one with MGV and one with Leather. In listening to the comments, MGV was the winner from those doing the comparisons.

JenB

Badlands
First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Jeep LJ, 2021 4DR Badlands, 2023 DR Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Love my MGV and the wash out floors on my badlands, its been great to be able to just jump in the Bronco without worrying about mud/snow. Have carpet in my jeep and I don’t care for it. Wish we could get MGV and washout and be trusted not to hose down power seats as my power seats in my F150 Tremor are more comfortable. Also am disappointed with the lack of adjustable headrest as I do think the position pushes my head forward a bit so I have to tilt the seat back further than I would otherwise. But still, love the Bronco and would still pick the washout floors and MGV which seems virtually indestructible.

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can't imagine it wouldn't be full power. Order guide states 10 way for driver and 8 way for passenger. I believe the lumbar support is the difference between the two.

Screenshot_20220129-215525_Dropbox.jpg
Well that’s great news then!

Ares

First Name
Fox
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided

Ford Bronco BL/BD MGV vs Leather Screenshot_20220129-215525_Dropbox
I think passenger seat does not have tilt...

BSheppard

Badlands
First Name
Ballard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think passenger seat does not have tilt...
Well, I mostly care about the driver but would be nice to have it on both.
Sponsored