Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a bit late to post this, but I figured better late than never. I picked up a set of non-sas Badlands Bilsteins off of someone here on the boards and swapped them with the Hitachis at the beginning of this month. I have not driven it off road yet, which will come later in the summer (I'll give my thoughts on that at that time), but I have driven maybe 500 miles in city and highway driving situations since the swap was completed. Just figured I would give everyone my current thoughts in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same swap.

First of all, I'll give you some basic measurement differences (which actually don't make sense to be honest), so keep in mind they may be a bit off. I measured with a full tank before and after to get the height increase comparison numbers in my garage parked in the exact same spot. I did measure just 4-5 days after the swap though, so maybe they could have settled a bit since then? Pretty much removed the rake out of it and I'm not sure if I'm okay with it yet. I'll double check here when I get a chance, but here are the initial numbers:

After the swap:
Front lift increase of 1.5"
Clearance increase at bottom of transmission skid of 1"
Clearance increase at bottom of rear trailing arm mounts of 1"
Rear lift increase of 1"

Before and After Side shot:
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions Comparo 1 (1)

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions Comparo 1 (4)

Front 3/4 view Before and After:
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions Comparo 1 (2)

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions Comparo 1 (3)

Impressions:

- Ride control is much better. After now having the Bilsteins, the Hitachis were possibly underdampened. Huge improvement/reduction in bangs over road imperfections and the ride is much smoother overall.
- Highway ride is the city driving improvements, but to the next level. Much nicer for a long drive now.
- Noticeably less nose dive and more body control. Feels more "planted" while driving which has been a big bonus.

Yep, we're gonna ago with 33s or 34s when the Grabbers wear out as well, but they will have to do for now. But overall, If anyone is thinking about doing the swap, I wouldn't hesitate. I was looking for a simple upgrade to the Hitachis, and I am more than happy. I'll definitely report back with some off road impressions this summer as well, but I figured I would at least give everyone my initial impressions.
Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, consensus from all who've done it agree it's an upgrade.

Sitruc_btb

Badlands
First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I really like how the Bilsteins feel myself. Havent had my rig offroad yet(ugh).
Interesting that the shock swap appeared to take away some or all of the "rake". My stock BL had the typical rake or stance before I lifted it.

Bdockins

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 F150
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

rake reduction could be from the Bilsteins coming from a V6 or Auto bronco and this BD may not have both.
?

Sponsored
OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yep, consensus from all who've done it agree it's an upgrade.
You were one of the first, if not the first, and your thoughts led me this direction. Thanks for all your initial impressions you shared.

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I really like how the Bilsteins feel myself. Havent had my rig offroad yet(ugh).
Interesting that the shock swap appeared to take away some or all of the "rake". My stock BL had the typical rake or stance before I lifted it.
Yeah, still trying to figure it out, but I'm going to roll with it for a while.

rake reduction could be from the Bilsteins coming from a V6 or Auto bronco and this BD may not have both.
?
Yeah, that's the odd part. It took me months to find this set that was off of a hardtop, V6 Badlands (most the sets available were coming off if 2.3s) so it would be most closely matched with mine. Only difference between the two vehicles (besides the model of course) is the tow package, and that doesn't make a difference in the shock or spring model numbers on the Badlands. Who knows. Since it doesn't have a noticeable "squat", I'm just gonna see if it changes over time.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
I did this swap myself a few weeks ago, completely agree with this post. For the price you can get used shocks for it's a no brainer. It's pretty crazy how much brake dive the stock Hitachi allowed compared to the Bilstein. Nice thing is there are better upgrade paths having these shocks and springs if more lift is desired later.

Last edited:

ingalsbeans

Black Diamond
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For the uninformed - where do i find the bilsteins to swap onto my manual 2 door black diamond? if its such an improvement for a lower price than kings or something, i'm super in

Arc

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm a bit late to post this, but I figured better late than never. I picked up a set of non-sas Badlands Bilsteins off of someone here on the boards and swapped them with the Hitachis at the beginning of this month. I have not driven it off road yet, which will come later in the summer (I'll give my thoughts on that at that time), but I have driven maybe 500 miles in city and highway driving situations since the swap was completed. Just figured I would give everyone my current thoughts in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same swap.

First of all, I'll give you some basic measurement differences (which actually don't make sense to be honest), so keep in mind they may be a bit off. I measured with a full tank before and after to get the height increase comparison numbers in my garage parked in the exact same spot. I did measure just 4-5 days after the swap though, so maybe they could have settled a bit since then? Pretty much removed the rake out of it and I'm not sure if I'm okay with it yet. I'll double check here when I get a chance, but here are the initial numbers:

After the swap:
Rear lift increase of 1"

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions Comparo 1 (3)

Impressions:

- Ride control is much better. After now having the Bilsteins, the Hitachis were possibly underdampened. Huge improvement/reduction in bangs over road imperfections and the ride is much smoother overall.
- Highway ride is the city driving improvements, but to the next level. Much nicer for a long drive now.
- Noticeably less nose dive and more body control. Feels more "planted" while driving which has been a big bonus.

Yep, we're gonna ago with 33s or 34s when the Grabbers wear out as well, but they will have to do for now. But overall, If anyone is thinking about doing the swap, I wouldn't hesitate. I was looking for a simple upgrade to the Hitachis, and I am more than happy. I'll definitely report back with some off road impressions this summer as well, but I figured I would at least give everyone my initial impressions.
I did the same thing,agree with all reported here!

Sponsored

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

For the uninformed - where do i find the bilsteins to swap onto my manual 2 door black diamond? if its such an improvement for a lower price than kings or something, i'm super in
Take offs are the cheapest option. I got mine for $500 with 200 miles on them.

Rspayde

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 C/O Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I will be doing this same upgrade in a few weeks (just waiting on the green light for lift access). I will also be swapping on some sas wheels once I get the beauty rings powder coated. Think I am going to roll with the stock tire until they need to be replaced as well.

ingalsbeans

Black Diamond
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Take offs are the cheapest option. I got mine for $500 with 200 miles on them.
Damn! i'll have to search around then, i didn't realize how affordable it was

M97

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

After the swap:
Rear lift increase of 1"

Impressions:

What’s your mpg now?

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What’s your mpg now?
Haven't noticed a difference yet, but I'll report back on that as well over a bit of time. It's gotten 16 mpg since we first got it and I haven't seen a change from that yet.
Sponsored