Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ice-Mountain special
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I'm a bit late to post this, but I figured better late than never. I picked up a set of non-sas Badlands Bilsteins off of someone here on the boards and swapped them with the Hitachis at the beginning of this month. I have not driven it off road yet, which will come later in the summer (I'll give my thoughts on that at that time), but I have driven maybe 500 miles in city and highway driving situations since the swap was completed. Just figured I would give everyone my current thoughts in case anyone else is thinking of doing the same swap.

First of all, I'll give you some basic measurement differences (which actually don't make sense to be honest), so keep in mind they may be a bit off. I measured with a full tank before and after to get the height increase comparison numbers in my garage parked in the exact same spot. I did measure just 4-5 days after the swap though, so maybe they could have settled a bit since then? Pretty much removed the rake out of it and I'm not sure if I'm okay with it yet. I'll double check here when I get a chance, but here are the initial numbers:

After the swap:
Front lift increase of 1.5"
Clearance increase at bottom of transmission skid of 1"
Clearance increase at bottom of rear trailing arm mounts of 1"
Rear lift increase of 1"

Before and After Side shot:
Comparo 1 (1).jpg

Comparo 1 (4).jpg

Front 3/4 view Before and After:
Comparo 1 (2).jpg

Comparo 1 (3).jpg

Impressions:

- Ride control is much better. After now having the Bilsteins, the Hitachis were possibly underdampened. Huge improvement/reduction in bangs over road imperfections and the ride is much smoother overall.
- Highway ride is the city driving improvements, but to the next level. Much nicer for a long drive now.
- Noticeably less nose dive and more body control. Feels more "planted" while driving which has been a big bonus.

Yep, we're gonna ago with 33s or 34s when the Grabbers wear out as well, but they will have to do for now. But overall, If anyone is thinking about doing the swap, I wouldn't hesitate. I was looking for a simple upgrade to the Hitachis, and I am more than happy. I'll definitely report back with some off road impressions this summer as well, but I figured I would at least give everyone my initial impressions.

Thank you, for sharing your impressions. As FIY: Last week I did an upgrade of the OBX with Hitachi shocks to the Ford Performance tuned Builshtein 6112s and my impressions are very similar to yours.
Not to say that Hithachi shocks are "less than" as they are very comfortable with the original 32" tires. Said that, if you plan to upgrade to larger and heavier tires, you want to compensate for additional weight per my opinion ( I installed BL 33"). My lift after was about 2" in the rear and 1.25" in the front, due to a WARN bumper and winch addition. My on-road and off-road impression was the same as yours with better control of Freeway speeds and fast dirt road driving on the desert trail.
Sponsored

Arc

Black Diamond
First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gmc 1965 4x4 SS Elcamino 72
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This picture is not with the upgrades,nor the new rims and tires.

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat it for this thread. I think the Badland Bilsteins are the best bang for the buck out there if you want to upgrade the Hitachis and run 33-34 inch tires. They are about as cheap a coilover as you're going to buy and they are a real upgrade over the Hitachis, as well as providing approximately 1 inch lift. I think I ended up with 0.9 up front and 1 inch rear, but it will vary based on which springs you get. You can purposefully get stiffer front springs if you are adding a heavier bumper or winch.

I've had the Hitachis, Badland Bilsteins, and two sets of Icons on my Bronco. If I was happy to stay with 33s I would be equally happy to stay with the Badland Bilsteins. The BL Bilsteins I removed from mine are about to go into another members BD.

I think some of the extra lift in front is just the lighter aspect of the BD with the aluminum M190 and standard swaybar. I know it doesn't seem like that's a huge difference in weight, but it is all weight right between the tires.

Even if you keep the same tires, switching to the Bilsteins will get your gas tank raised by about an inch, and that can be a huge advantage on the trail.

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Were you able to install them yourself? I'm thinking of buying SAS takeoffs with the coilovers already attached, am hoping that I can install myself.
I did mine myself, it only took me less than 4 hours to do all 4, I don't think it was very hard, I will preface that by saying I've installed a few suspension systems though on quite a few different vehicles so I'm pretty experienced in the process.

I thought the bronco was very easy though, especially the front if you just remove the lower control arm bolts. This video here covers the front removal and installation decently.

dgorsett

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, Mustang, Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I know I've said this before, but I'll repeat it for this thread. I think the Badland Bilsteins are the best bang for the buck out there if you want to upgrade the Hitachis and run 33-34 inch tires. They are about as cheap a coilover as you're going to buy and they are a real upgrade over the Hitachis, as well as providing approximately 1 inch lift. I think I ended up with 0.9 up front and 1 inch rear, but it will vary based on which springs you get. You can purposefully get stiffer front springs if you are adding a heavier bumper or winch.

I've had the Hitachis, Badland Bilsteins, and two sets of Icons on my Bronco. If I was happy to stay with 33s I would be equally happy to stay with the Badland Bilsteins. The BL Bilsteins I removed from mine are about to go into another members BD.

I think some of the extra lift in front is just the lighter aspect of the BD with the aluminum M190 and standard swaybar. I know it doesn't seem like that's a huge difference in weight, but it is all weight right between the tires.

Even if you keep the same tires, switching to the Bilsteins will get your gas tank raised by about an inch, and that can be a huge advantage on the trail.
I really think the Bronco development team designed the Bronco to be the best integrated on/off road vehicle around, then handed it off to the fuel tank team, who totally miffed it. (Well, the rear suspension mount team weren't exactly rockstars either)

Sponsored

TallDude

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
+1 to what the OP said.
If you're on the fence, just do it! You won't regret it. The ride is so nice. I've had my SAS suspension in my BD for a bit now and the ride is great. Best bang for your buck to find some take offs and install them! I will say over time the front has settled a bit from the initial install, but it still looks great!
Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions 1682659436308

EvBronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Audi a4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
This may be a dumb question but even though these are ford parts going on a different ford model, will this void the warranty of a black diamond? I am about to do this seal myself and was wondering

OP
OP
5280Bronco

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

This may be a dumb question but even though these are ford parts going on a different ford model, will this void the warranty of a black diamond? I am about to do this seal myself and was wondering
It would void any warranty that was in place on the Hitachis for sure.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Element, ‘75 Bronco widow
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I still have some research to do, but I scored the suspension setup up off a 4dr 2.3 manual badlands w/ softtop and assuming it didn’t have tow package. I have a 2door manual base model now w/ 33s and 1” level up front. Should I do the swap? Would I need the level after?

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Did you get a set from a 2-door or 4-door?

I did mine myself, it only took me less than 4 hours to do all 4, I don't think it was very hard, I will preface that by saying I've installed a few suspension systems though on quite a few different vehicles so I'm pretty experienced in the process.

I thought the bronco was very easy though, especially the front if you just remove the lower control arm bolts. This video here covers the front removal and installation decently.

Sponsored

climb2descend

Base
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15'F150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did you get a set from a 2-door or 4-door?
A 2 door, finding a 2 door 2.3L set was a pita, had to drive a few hours to pick it up.

Broncola

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

A 2 door, finding a 2 door 2.3L set was a pita, had to drive a few hours to pick it up.
I bought some badland takeoff wheels and tires and guy gave me his suspension setup too. 4dr 2.3 softtop so I might give it a try on my 2dr. 🤷‍♂️

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Would you say you now you have the same clearance/ride height as a badlands bronco?
The answer is yes.

2021 Bronco with non-sasquatch Badlands suspension and 2023 Bronco with stock suspension.

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions IMG-05c6bbd49ed9171086c562b03d235171-V

Both are two OBX 2.7 advanced 4x4 with tow package. Both are on stock OBX rims and rubber.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
And your Bronco will explode faster than having a non-ASE mechanic install your Ford Performance tune.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I just ordered new shocks and springs from @flip and got exactly what I wanted and needed delivered. Didn't even need a leveling kit!

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions 20221227_103410 (1)

Just kidding... LOL

Ford Bronco Black Diamond Hitachi to Non-Sasquatch Badlands Bilstein Swap Impressions IMG_20220910_181104

No leveling kit needed.
Sponsored