Sponsored

Black diamond vs badlands mgv !There are some differences!

• Thread starter Deleted member 15397
  • Start date
  • Watchers 15

centra28

Badlands
First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This definitely needs some more investigation. I can see the difference in the texture on the dash between the BD and the BL in the pics above. That makes me wonder if the difference is between the trims or the interior package options (mid vs high for example). So in wondering I take a look at the OBX interior in the materials walkthrough video and and I see a smooth dash surface
Ford Bronco Black diamond vs badlands mgv !There are some differences! 1606836199804

Cross reference that with another image I captured of the OBX interior and I see that interior (same trim) has a textured dash surface

Ford Bronco Black diamond vs badlands mgv !There are some differences! 1606836273780

So this makes me wonder is the difference in the interior materials choices? trim? or package? the Package in the materials video pick for the OBX has to be high or lux because of the 12" screen, same in the pic I had on file. Is the difference between cloth and leather option? MGV and leather option? The only line I can draw currently tells me that it depends on leather option to get textured dash (and seemingly upgraded interior materials choice). Could be wrong though.
Sponsored

Jr87mustang

Black Diamond
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Expedition, 1987 5.0 GT Convert
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I think we are just seeing pre production stuff that isn’t finished. If I had to pick I think the plastic is going to be better. My last two 302a XLT F-150s had a plastic dash and my wife’s 2019 Expe has a soft touch. The F-150 is definetly easier to clean. One swipe with a rag and its done where the Expe takes more work to get all the dust and grime off. Expe does look nicer though.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That makes sense...yo may have solved one of the biggest remaining unknowns. I do remember in the materials video, that the woman mentioned that "Badlands also has MGV on the door"...I assumed she didn't mean just Badlands, but was talking about the MGV interior in general. It is crazy that they cheaped out on not just the instrument panel, but the little bit of MGV that would be needed for the armrest and door panels. What did they save per vehicle there...$10?
Thats probably more than enough for the bean counters

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Does the Wrangler have a soft touch dash? I suspect that that both machines are similar to that respect.

bjellefs

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ford Mustang, 2008 Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
After looking at all of this, I have a new wild theory. If you look at the materials walkthrough video of the black diamond, at 4:02, you can clearly see that the bottom part of the instrument panel is textured while the upper portion is not.

Then if you look at the build and price for the OB, a listed interior feature is the "High-Level instrument panel". I am assuming this is referring to the High package option with the 12" screen, which is obviously not available on the BD. From the pic posted earlier of the OB equipped with the High package, it has the textured upper dash.

Ford Bronco Black diamond vs badlands mgv !There are some differences! 1606837591597

Now one step deeper, if you look at the description of the "High Package", it includes additional sound deadening material. I am going out on a crazy limb and thinking that the soft touch upper portion of the instrument panel is what they are calling "additional sound deadening material" to dampen sound from the engine. I have been wondering what the additional sound deadening material was and this is now my best guess. It seems likely that this textured soft touch dash is tied in with the high package.

Sponsored

jsharpe

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.sharpe.com
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think OP is correct. When you zoom in on the dashboard on the BL (image below with orange stripe), there is a crosshatch pattern you can easily see. When you zoom in on the BD (image below with blue stripe), it appears to be just smooth plastic. Probably not enough to get me to move away from BD, but definitely unfortunate news.

Ford Bronco Black diamond vs badlands mgv !There are some differences! 1606837591597

The colors in these two pictures don't seem to match the descriptions in the op's original post. Specifically, neither look like what I would call "dark cactus" which was supposed to correspond with the soft touch in the high pkg. And the dark space gray was supposed to be hard plastic. Although I suppose the one with the crosshatch pattern could still be hard plastic, it doesn't look like what I would call "dark space gray".

IMO it's bad enough to have colors based on trim levels but even worse if the colors are tied to package levels. I want a BL with the high package but don't want a "cactus" anything dash to go with the black MGV. It might be different if I was going with a cactus grey exterior, but I'm not so it seems out of place.

flatlander40

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It appears the high level I/P is the "dashboard" it is soft touch and colored in dark cactus. The badlands also gets mgv on door panels, and center console armrest, as well as colored bungee storage pockets, and an additional line of color stitching in the seats. Black diamond gets dark space grey hard plastic I/P as well as dark space grey base vinyl on door panels and center console armrest.
I saw the dark cactus dash somewhere, maybe on the Build and price, and that would be enough to make me avoid the Badlands

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I've never owned a vehicle with a soft touch dash! I'm ordering a BLs. If it's such an off roader, why would it have soft touch? Shouldn't be something easy to clean since that's what they are marketing towards. Bc when I think soft touch I think pain in the ass to clean mud off of?

Insight from someone?

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

That makes sense...yo may have solved one of the biggest remaining unknowns. I do remember in the materials video, that the woman mentioned that "Badlands also has MGV on the door"...I assumed she didn't mean just Badlands, but was talking about the MGV interior in general. It is crazy that they cheaped out on not just the instrument panel, but the little bit of MGV that would be needed for the armrest and door panels. What did they save per vehicle there...$10?
Well ... bean counting on the Pinto saved them $11 per vehicle and nothing bad happened there?

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The colors in these two pictures don't seem to match the descriptions in the op's original post. Specifically, neither look like what I would call "dark cactus" which was supposed to correspond with the soft touch in the high pkg. And the dark space gray was supposed to be hard plastic. Although I suppose the one with the crosshatch pattern could still be hard plastic, it doesn't look like what I would call "dark space gray".

IMO it's bad enough to have colors based on trim levels but even worse if the colors are tied to package levels. I want a BL with the high package but don't want a "cactus" anything dash to go with the black MGV. It might be different if I was going with a cactus grey exterior, but I'm not so it seems out of place.
I saw the dark cactus dash somewhere, maybe on the Build and price, and that would be enough to make me avoid the Badlands
The dash in the Badlands is a light gray, not a "dark cactus". Yes, it looks strange in B&P, but is different in person.

Sponsored

vrtical

Raptor
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

bean counters missed the mark on the 1 million variations in interior design for the Bronco just saying.

corey07

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've never owned a vehicle with a soft touch dash! I'm ordering a BLs. If it's such an off roader, why would it have soft touch? Shouldn't be something easy to clean since that's what they are marketing towards. Bc when I think soft touch I think pain in the ass to clean mud off of?

Insight from someone?
I guess just like every option on this rig, it all is personal preference. I have a 18 Subaru crosstrek with the soft touch. It looks great, but it is a B!%@% to clean. If you have dogs in cab or plan traveling any dusty road forget it. That stuff is like a magnet for hair, dirt, sand etc. I will take the smooth plastic (slightly textured) of my old 06 F150 ANY day for clean up. PERSONALLY I really hope that my Bronco set up comes with a smooth (slight textured) IP.

Studawg

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Excursion, 96 Land Cruiser, 18 Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It appears the high level I/P is the "dashboard" it is soft touch and colored in dark cactus. The badlands also gets mgv on door panels, and center console armrest, as well as colored bungee storage pockets, and an additional line of color stitching in the seats. Black diamond gets dark space grey hard plastic I/P as well as dark space grey base vinyl on door panels and center console armrest.
Source?

Aman

Badlands
First Name
Aman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 M3, 2008 Armada, and 2022 Badlands ManSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

618TRVLWILD

Big Bend
First Name
Ashley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend Sasquatch 2D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I guess just like every option on this rig, it all is personal preference. I have a 18 Subaru crosstrek with the soft touch. It looks great, but it is a B!%@% to clean. If you have dogs in cab or plan traveling any dusty road forget it. That stuff is like a magnet for hair, dirt, sand etc. I will take the smooth plastic (slightly textured) of my old 06 F150 ANY day for clean up. PERSONALLY I really hope that my Bronco set up comes with a smooth (slight textured) IP.
Well...umm sounds like they thought it all out for the BLs but the dash! It doesn't sound like it going to be fun at all! I can just see the red rock dust from out west turning that dash orange and staining it a way!
Sponsored