First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can I jump in and drive it 1500 miles at a more or less constant highway speed? Or should it be broken in first at varying speeds locally?
Sponsored

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You can drive it wherever you want but typically requires varying speeds and not a constant rpm for the first 1000 mi.

Also don’t pedal to the metal until the oil has reached Normal operating temp
Thanks. It was that constant rpm I was wondering about.

Sponsored
OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's 2020, just beat the stuff out of it. No break in oil, no waiting for engine oil to heat up unless you're in freezing temps. Check the manual.
Yeah, things are definitely a bit more advanced these days. :ROFLMAO: Just figuring out if buying out of state and driving home is an option.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can I jump in and drive it 1500 miles at a more or less constant highway speed? Or should it be broken in first at varying speeds locally?
I bought a new economy car earlier this year, and the user manual said for the first so many miles (sorry don't have the specific miles in front of me at the moment), try not to drive long periods at a single engine speed. The manual also basically said avoid being hard on the engine. And also the manual said something to the effect that the engine life could be significantly increased if the user adheres to these recommendations. So, I probably wouldn't go for a long steady-state drive having just bought a new car.

On the other hand, the user manual didn't say anything about changing out the oil early. Which I found surprising. I ended up having the engine oil changed after 3,000 miles anyway, except I don't think the dealership actually changed the oil, but that's a different story. Trust but verify when it comes to car service.

edgeflyer

Banned
Wildtrak
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
It won't hurt it to do a 1000 mile freeway drive, but you should load it up often. Modern engines don't have the break-in window that old motors do, so maximum power and fuel economy will just take longer to realize.

OP
OP
High Proof

High Proof

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2018 Panamera
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
except I don't think the dealership actually changed the oil, but that's a different story. Trust but verify when it comes to car service.
I had my dealer forget to put oil back in during an oil change. I noticed it right away at least.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When I picked up my BMW a few years ago in Germany, I asked about break in period. They just shrugged and said keep it under 150KM/HR on the way home. What break in?

You don't have to, but I think it's be a good idea to vary your driving for the first 500 miles and do a few short trips and allow things to cool in between trips. There's usually a breakin period when you change gears, rebuild engines, etc. so it's not needed but a good idea if you plan to keep it for the long haul.

69351windsor

Base
First Name
JW
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Merc, Ranger, HD
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

It won't hurt it to do a 1000 mile freeway drive, but you should load it up often. Modern engines don't have the break-in window that old motors do, so maximum power and fuel economy will just take longer to realize.
Well good grief I hope so - potentially got a 1700 mile trip back from Grainger, would like it to take less than a week! Last time had to baby a new engine for break in was Harley Davidson in 2000... new Ranger same year but don't remember any recommendation from the dealer at that time, haven't even researched it since then!