Sponsored

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
First, let me say that I have nothing to prove here, to you, or anyone else. Buy what you think will work best for YOU and what you want to do with the vehicle and YOUR driving style.

But, I will say this, I don't think it's fair to compare 30 year old iron with the new stuff. Especially when that 30 year old iron isn't even "stock". If your driving style and your type of wheeling don't fit with the Bronco, I'm certainly not going to argue the point. Stick with your old iron, that's fine.

In the end, if you want to compare a new Bronco to a new Jeep, that's fair, and I'll readily admit that as they roll off the factory line that the Jeep has an advantage in hard core wheeling. Can the Bronco do it? Yes, but I would make some minimal upgrades before I took it on a 10+ extreme trail. It's been done, and it's been done without breakage.

However, I will also point out that the Bronco is WAY better while I'm driving it TO those extreme trails.

Finally, what I'm interested in, and what brought me to this thread was the fact that the OP broke an axle and I'm curious how that happened, and how bad the damage is. I think it's already been determined that he had on front lockers, had the steering fully locked, and hit the gas pretty hard when suddenly he got "grip" somehow. That combination has been shown to break stuff in the front end of the Bronco, and pretty much any IFS vehicle. This being another example of it happening.

Again, I'll admit that if you have a heavy right foot, then the Bronco probably isn't the right hard core wheeler for you. If the kind of wheeling you do requires a heavy right foot, then the Bronco (or any IFS truck) probably isn't the right vehicle for you. If, on the other hand, you stay within the bounds of how you should wheel an IFS vehicle, the Bronco does just fine.

What I'm interested in seeing next is the extent of the damage. What EXACTLY broke in that axle.
Appreciate the well thought out reply.

I only posted up about my "80" year old mogs, as some claim EVERYTHING breaks. I'm not sure what I have to still do to it to break it. When I barrel rolled down a nice rock face, I heavily bent one of my STAZ double beadlocks. These are 1/4 inch thick steel on each half, bolted together, so 1/2 inch plate at the center. Here is how it spins up ....... I thought for sure "something" should have broke on that front axle, especially with the extra leverage from a 6" dropped portal. Been wheeling 3 times since, no problems that I can find.

http://luxjo.supermotors.net/GREEN_DILYSI/SX 43-S/STAZ BEADLOCKS/20181229_172350.mp4

And I compared the new bronco to my 79 beater with 36's, WELDED front diff and autozone U-joints as the only non Std front axle part. That thing survived 50ish miles offroad, yet Ford can't make a CV that survives being babied for very short distances? I don't really care how the new bronco holds up against an also weakly designed competitor (if true).

Why not make a CV like these, they apparently hold up pretty well. I bought a second spare, as I wasn't sure how long 404 parts will be avail, will most likely never use it. Basically a double U-joint, grease-able, and rebuildable. Point is this "tech" was available in the 50's, Ford really can't come up with something even close to that with today's FEA, metallurgy, and the insane prices they are asking?

Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 20230306_184141

Anyway, I'm done "complaining", hopefully the aftermarket can fix you guys up eventually.
Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My wheeling started with BLM roads and little off road play areas just off of a paved road. Then, onto desert fun including sand dunes which that also includes exploring off road, i.e. Death Valley, Johnson's Valley & etc. I've also been a skier and have lived in the mountains too, so a lot of on road snow driving too. Most of this in a Tacoma, some in other trucks, snow in everything.

IFS works great for all of that. Sasquatch, except maybe for the snow, where skinnier tires with snow & ice tread would be better, makes all of the above easier and more fun; opens some trails that I'd try too.

Seeing OP go extreme in the snow off road, more so than I plan on, it is great to see what he was able to do and to also learn from his mistake. Since his attitude is OK with it, and they had father and son fun it's all good that they pushed the limits, broke it and made an adventure of it. Both learned a lot, dad on something not to do, and next time he'd probably make it without breaking an axle.

While his son learned so much more, and had a great father & son memory. And, they made it home safe that day so all is good. He also learned problem solving skills when the tire came off the bead, and the advantages of teamwork; both in giving & receiving the help.

Add OP's youtube channel getting hits and all is good for him, he'll be OK, and we'll learn something... And, "they" can debate IFS v. solid axles all "they" want.

I'm even learning from their mistakes as I read. I just want my Bronco not to break on the trail.

Isn't that why most of us tune into these posts/videos in the first place? To learn what we can do before breaking down? Kind of gauge the limits?

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
21 Badlands 2D, 22 BD 4 Door
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My wheeling started with BLM roads and little off road play areas just off of a paved road. Then, onto desert fun including sand dunes which that also includes exploring off road, i.e. Death Valley, Johnson's Valley & etc. I've also been a skier and have lived in the mountains too, so a lot of on road snow driving too. Most of this in a Tacoma, some in other trucks, snow in everything.

IFS works great for all of that. Sasquatch, except maybe for the snow, where skinnier tires with snow & ice tread would be better, makes all of the above easier and more fun; opens some trails that I'd try too.

Seeing OP go extreme in the snow off road, more so than I plan on, it is great to see what he was able to do and to also learn from his mistake. Since his attitude is OK with it, and they had father and son fun it's all good that they pushed the limits, broke it and made an adventure of it. Both learned a lot, dad on something not to do, and next time he'd probably make it without breaking an axle.

While his son learned so much more, and had a great father & son memory. And, they made it home safe that day so all is good. He also learned problem solving skills when the tire came off the bead, and the advantages of teamwork; both in giving & receiving the help.

Add OP's youtube channel getting hits and all is good for him, he'll be OK, and we'll learn something... And, "they" can debate IFS v. solid axles all "they" want.

I'm even learning from their mistakes as I read. I just want my Bronco not to break on the trail.

Isn't that why most of us tune into these posts/videos in the first place? To learn what we can do before breaking down? Kind of gauge the limits?
Very well said! Yes, the most important for me is the time I get to spend with my sons. What you didn't really see in the video is that I would get him to run the winch controller every time. He loooooved that.

And even if there is some arguing, I'm loving that this thread is turning into a learning conversation for everyone. Lets all keep learning together.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 4dr OBX MIC 2.7 Rear Locker A51 Roast
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Well, had a little too much fun this weekend... If you want to play, you gotta pay I guess....

Ford Bronco Broke the axle on my Badlands Bronco...  pics and video 20230306_184141

There is a recall on the front axle(s), mine was already done as part of the recall without anything breaking. Maybe you'll get lucky.

BroncoJoerg

Badlands
First Name
Joerg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Velocity Blue Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Yes, the repair under Program 22B27 replaces the entire front driveshaft, if that's what the OP means by "axle". But if his vehicle was built during that time frame, he would have gotten a letter from Ford.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, the repair under Program 22B27 replaces the entire front driveshaft, if that's what the OP means by "axle". But if his vehicle was built during that time frame, he would have gotten a letter from Ford.
Yea, had that done already. That's a driveshaft, not axle.

lakesinai

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

jon

Base
First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1989 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Haha, everyone has a North Shore. North Shore of New Brunswick Canada
Long may your big jib draw.

Also Hummers throw half shafts more often than they get their oil changed. Bronco's are different. Fast spinning higher horsepower and higher torque motors that spin faster will break faster. On the other hand underpowered Toyota hilux and landcruisers last forever and have the most gutless motors. Snow, freezing water and rivers crossings or soupy mud all add factors that really create issues for parts spinning fast then suddenly stopping.

Sponsored

scotman623

Badlands
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy LT Trail boss
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the video.. Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix with the axe..

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the video.. Hopefully it turns out to be a simple fix with the axe..
Yea, going to take it appart tomorrow night. might even do a Livestream during haha.

Eric L

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Explorer ST, 2017 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I twisted a rear axle tube on my Badlands in January rock crawling. Had the plug welds welded up and broke it again in March at UBB. Now I'm upgrading to the Dana 60.

OP
OP
NorthShoreBronco

NorthShoreBronco

Badlands
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I twisted a rear axle tube on my Badlands in January rock crawling. Had the plug welds welded up and broke it again in March at UBB. Now I'm upgrading to the Dana 60.
HOLY @#$#$ wHAT SIZE tires are you running? That's a lot of torque to break that off.
Sponsored