First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
66 EB , 67 Stang, 77 GMC Motorhome, A6 3.0T, W211
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This issue is common enough to carry spares or at least design a temp repair kit that gets you home. A simple section of tubing with a clamp on each end would get yo to a trail head at low speeds.
Sponsored

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Bronco buster just copies a clamp on design that has been used on isuzus for many many years...nothing new there.

mike8675309

Base
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco ManSquatch, 2023 Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Base
Here is a good example of a tie rod failure, the driver's side, filmed when it happened.
You can slow the video way down to see what happened.
Essentially it was coming down the back of a log on the drivers side while it was still ascending on the passenger side. The driver was holding the wheel straight when the tie rod broke.
Actually, I just slowed it down and looked close. The driver was going from straight to turning left when the ford broke. It looks like he was applying force, because the passenger wheel likely was pushing into the log fighting the turn.

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I ordered this steel sleeve from JKS to try. It replaces the tie rod nut to reinforce the weakest area. Similar solutions for other IFS have been used for a long time. I also installed the plastic BroncBuster bushing in the steering gear to beef it up a little.
https://jksmfg.com/collections/ford-bronco-2021/products/bronco-tie-rod-end-sleeve-kit (sleeve)
https://broncbustertx.com/products/product-name (steering gear bushing)

Update: I removed the BroncBuster bushing because it was causing major steering problems. I do not recommend it and it is very difficult to remove. When installed, it increased the steering effort, the steering would no longer center itself (e.g. exiting a turn), and it caused wander due to lack of self-centering.

Last edited:

Razorbak86

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, BMW R1150 GS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

When I was young, I had a styrofoam airplane. The wings just stuck in the side and every time it hit the ground, the wings would pop out and I would have to spend a minute or two gathering them and reassembling the plane.

1646658161032.png

Well, I got tired of always fixing it so I ducktaped the wings to the fuselage. I was so proud about how clever I was. So I went outside bitching about idiot engineers and crappy made toys and let 'er fly. It was beautiful. I've never seen the plane go so far or so high. When it hit the ground, the fuselage and wings stayed attached perfectly. Unfortunately the rest of the wing shattered into a dozed pieces.

Not really sure what this has to do with broken tie rods. Just some random memory that popped into my head.
… and that’s the day you decided to become an engineer when you grew up? 😉

Sponsored

ksdon

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I keep seeing that good road just 20 yards from the passenger side.....probably showing my age.

ryaylor, your combo makes a lot of sense. Did you have to realign front end after install?

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rtaylor, your combo makes a lot of sense. Did you have to realign front end after install?
If you are careful, I think you could do both without realignment (mark rod orientation, and count turns).

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

That's tough when out on the trail and have a failure like that!!!! Best of luck on a rapid repair...

Not sure if i read the above right but, it sounds like there is a Tie-rod difference from a Badland to a Wildtrak.

Is there??? Plan to do or have replacements on hand. Just need to know if I'm at risk with all or my risk is slightly reduce. Thx...

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not sure if i read the above right but, it sounds like there is a Tie-rod difference from a Badland to a Wildtrak.
Currently the same, but HOSS 3.0 package will have upgraded tie rods.

Calm horse

Big Bend
First Name
MO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 f150 king ranch
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Watching this video and wondering how much abuse that tie rod had on it before this obstacle! I doubt this was that broncos 1st rodeo...I maybe wrong....I know these are weak points but there wasn't much force on that front end from my perspective to warrant that thing snapping so easily.

Sponsored

Gtrekker

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor, Audi, M1102 Overland Trailer 2-B
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Currently the same, but HOSS 3.0 package will have upgraded tie rods.
I was thinking that maybe what was implied... Its tough being 1st year model. Thank you,

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

rtaylor, your combo makes a lot of sense. Did you have to realign front end after install?
FYI, I removed the BroncBuster bushing because it was causing major steering problems. I do not recommend it and it is very difficult to remove. When installed, it increased steering effort, the steering would no longer center itself out of a turn, and wander was awful.

Update from BroncBuster:
Yes we’ve experienced that on a few vehicles where the shaft on the steering rack may be anywhere from 4 to 5 1000s of an inch larger. I would be more than happy to send you out one with a larger interior diameter on the bushing.

Last edited:

mehkanical

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Christ, would you guys stop linking outer tie rods when it's the threaded inner tie rod that's breaking?

Ford Bronco Broken tie rod. 4

Save yourself some money and just get a steel sleeve. Something like this;

Broncbuster splint is way overpriced. Any machine shop with a 3-axis mill can make that from some scrap 6061 for ~$100 if you give them the CAD.

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Christ, would you guys stop linking outer tie rods when it's the threaded inner tie rod that's breaking?

Broncbuster splint is way overpriced. Any machine shop with a 3-axis mill can make that from some scrap 6061 for ~$100 if you give them the CAD.
Or just upgrade to the Ford performance severe duty tie rod and rack kit. No bandaid needed.

swooshdave

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Getting the CAD is the expensive part.
Sponsored