First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
There is a distinct possibility that we are reaching an erroneous conclusion regarding the valves being defective given the range of failed motor dates. I want to see spark plugs, because I am suspecting that these failures are occurring typically in cruise or light loading situations where the engine is under boost, where detonation could easily destroy a rod bearing and result in piston to valve contact. If the OP has his Fordpass app he might be able to see some of the error messages from the engine.

Ser Arthur Dayne

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
You guys are surely much more informed on this than I - but just a week or two ago I read on here someone post that basically quoted a Ford rep ... something along the lines of, they were seeing (a lot?) of problems with the 2.7L - but they tracked it to a supplier issue and either they are using a different vendor now or the supplier realized what they were doing wrong and fixed it? And the guy was confident it wouldn't be an issue going forward.

I am of course concerned because I have a 2.7L ordered and of course don't want a bad engine. Obviously. But to have 2000 miles and need a new engine sucks lemons. Especially at Christmastime of all times.

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
In 2019 I had a 2.7 fail in a 2016 F-150 with 37,000 miles on it. The truck was built in a window that Ford had listed as suspect for head issues. It was a a large window --manufactured between April 2016 and Jan 2017 and They did replace the complete motor but it took 6 weeks. It wasn't like every engine made during that time period failed but there were some-- so I wouldn't be too concerned about all of them crapping out. If this is a legitimate issue there will be or is a tech bulletin addressing the issue and specific dates of the effected engines. If there is nothing from the factor on 2.7 failures I do not think that I would worry too much since it is an isolated issue. Currently I do not see any TSB covering 2.7 engine failures for either the bronco or F-150

DogHauler

Badlands
First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
There is a distinct possibility that we are reaching an erroneous conclusion regarding the valves being defective given the range of failed motor dates. I want to see spark plugs, because I am suspecting that these failures are occurring typically in cruise or light loading situations where the engine is under boost, where detonation could easily destroy a rod bearing and result in piston to valve contact. If the OP has his Fordpass app he might be able to see some of the error messages from the engine.
Extremely unlikely.

Sponsored

dwbronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F-150 King Ranch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
you make it sound like about ever 2.7 getting blown ,they all can't be winners .
Exactly. There have been a handful of 2.7 issues, but folks are acting like it's every third one. We are probably nowhere near recall or even TSB territory, yet.

Cpalms

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The blown engine builds range from June to September so far so it might be completely random.

ah-okey-okey.gif
Or perhaps Ford sent a few bombs out into the fleet to scare new customers into buying the extended warrantee. Now that would be shocking.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

BULLSHIT -

that's a DEAD END - that thread is not maintained - the OP needs to list known failures, w new cases added -
- never been updated - not even once -

@Lance103222 pls use this post to determine your engine build-date. B6g can then add to the range of known build-date failures -
What's bullshit? That I have seen it. I would maintain a list if anyone gave a shit about the thread, but no one seems interested in the thread, so why put forth effort when b6g doesn't seem to be interested in it.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Extremely unlikely.
What makes you say that? All you would need is to be under boost, part throttle, and have a failure of one of the two injector sets while both were supposed to be fired (whether a calibration or a fuel system failure) and the resulting lean condition would destroy something in short order.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Well then, I guess that settles that!
Too many just to be happenstance failures.
I'm going for the long haul so let's just cover all the bases.

1640393444642.png
So, this is probably an over reaction. From what I've read about the recent 2.7 failures is it is tied to a defective supplier valvetrain part (the valve keepers IIRC). As with any mass-produced product, if it is assembled wrong or has a defective manufactured part, it will fail early, which seems to be the case with the 2.7 in the Bronco. It looks like they mostly fail sub 4,000 miles. Thinking that this same valvetrain failure is going to occur 20,000 or 50,000 miles out is unwarranted. It is a manufacturing defect that shows early in use, not later.

My 2 cents.

Sponsored

Skeeterjack

Outer Banks
First Name
RON
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018MUSTANG GT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Can’t imagine being off road in the middle of nowhere and this shit happens. Gives me reason to pause and stay close to the road in the near future.

schlotzj

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can anyone please confirm whether or not any 2.7L engines have failed around my build date? Based off the label on my engine, my 2.7L was built on day 302 of 2021. I just bought my Badlands last week at MSRP when the original reservationist backed out upon delivery and praying it’s not affected with the issue others are unfortunately experiencing!!

Ford Bronco Bronco 2.7 blown engine B47BECFC-74B4-4D8F-AE53-DC03071823B0

Last edited:

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

' no one seems interested ' ?? . . . is that a joke ??

in the immortal words of John McEnroe :

'You Can NOT be SERIOUS' !!!
Well step right up and do it. You will be loved by all of the B6G forum members that care. Compare my railcar thread with the 2.7 tracking thread... People cared where their Bronco was and other community members jumped in to help. I didn't see that reaction on the 2.7 engine tracking thread.

So feel free to show me how it's done. I'll wait.

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I thought ford built this 2.7 for durability and intensive testing was done . Wtf is going with ford ? Probably a bad batch of parts hopefully

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I thought ford built this 2.7 for durability and intensive testing was done . Wtf is going with ford ? Probably a bad batch of parts hopefully
Supposebly a bad batch of valves from an outside vendor but ford is being a bunch of dick bags and not saying anything
Sponsored