First Name
Navi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Supposebly a bad batch of valves from an outside vendor but ford is being a bunch of dick bags and not saying anything
How could it be a bad batch of valves when the blown engines were built over a 4 month period?
Sponsored

Bronco21fan

Black Diamond
First Name
Angelo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 bronco black diamond 2 door Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How could it be a bad batch of valves when the blown engines were built over a 4 month period?
I’m just saying what was posted on hear bye a ford insider that all the blown motors have bad valves brittle and the engine is sucking them in

schlotzj

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Expedition Limited
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
personally have not seen any blow-ups with this high a date, but many we don't know yet

range is about 160 - 216 . . . far as I've seen
Ok thank you for the information...hopefully they resolved the issue and was only an isolated issue with a small build range!!

Sponsored

Contact

Big Bend
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Big Bend. FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Or just unplug from the negative terminal

Merlin15

Base
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
The 2.7 in my 2016 f-150 blew with less than 30k miles. It took my local dealership 2 months to swap out the engine. Once I started looking into it I realized it's a huge problem with that motor. I'm surprised they still use it and there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed.

dcg2

Badlands
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CR-V
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The 2.7 in my 2016 f-150 blew with less than 30k miles. It took my local dealership 2 months to swap out the engine. Once I started looking into it I realized it's a huge problem with that motor. I'm surprised they still use it and there hasn't been a class action lawsuit filed.
Well good news for you then! It's not the same motor.

JohnnyBronco

Outer Banks
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X4
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

There is a distinct possibility that we are reaching an erroneous conclusion regarding the valves being defective given the range of failed motor dates. I want to see spark plugs, because I am suspecting that these failures are occurring typically in cruise or light loading situations where the engine is under boost, where detonation could easily destroy a rod bearing and result in piston to valve contact. If the OP has his Fordpass app he might be able to see some of the error messages from the engine.
Are you suggesting we avoid cruise control? I know from experience it apparently lowers mpg through the mountains

Roofus

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

They issued the TSB in January 2018, a long ass time after the issue was well known. The TSB procedure was to compression test every affected motor: if it passed, you got an updated gasket. If it failed, you got a new small block. I’m well versed in the RS issues man, I’ve had a 2017 RS since new. My point was that Ford is incredibly slow when it comes to doing the right thing on engine failures like this.
Sounds like the time everyone knew BMW designed their E90 M3 rod bearings wrong and they refused to publicly acknowledge it even after a lawsuit and then when your engine blew up just driving around town BMW would courteously offer you the option of installing a new motor for $24,000. Ask me how I know.

Sorry to OP. Winning engine lotteries sucks.

Sponsored

rdg04578

Everglades
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 jeep rubicon, F-150
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
That is not entirely true-- yes there were some failures with the 2.7 but over all the engine ha been quite reliable. I also experience a failure on the 2016 F-150 which was note d in Ford TSB 17-0007. This was a limited number of 2.7's built from 4/1/16 until 1/1/2017. The other other issue with the 2.7 which was far more common was the leaking oil pan. Over all the 2.7 has been quite reliable.

Efthreeoh

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3T
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Sounds like the time everyone knew BMW designed their E90 M3 rod bearings wrong and they refused to publicly acknowledge it even after a lawsuit and then when your engine blew up just driving around town BMW would courteously offer you the option of installing a new motor for $24,000. Ask me how I know.

Sorry to OP. Winning engine lotteries sucks.
Worst, it wasn't the first "S" variant of a BMW engine to have substandard rod bearings...
Sponsored