Sponsored

Bronco or Raptor?

Deleted member 3063

Running the risk of returning to subject -

The Raptor is not huge, once you get past it's presence with the flares and big tires it's little bigger than a 4X4 F150. 6" wider at the tires, 0" wider at the mirrors. Probably does look huge in your rear view mirror though. :cool: Yes a big truck as are many.
I routinely park mine in a 5 story parking garage, no problem, parking lot problems, don't make me laugh.
Would I take it on tight Jeep trails, probably not. I would and do, for 10yrs now take it anywhere else in any weather with confidence. MEH my ass, but then mine is a tuned 6.2L ;)
I'm looking at the Bronco for that for confidence and capability in a smaller package. I think the Bronco has that in spades.
Sponsored

rtaylor

Badlands
First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19Raptor, 22Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

when you say newer raptors .. what do you mean?

I have a 2019 and I have 4A
On 2017 and later Raptor they added a dual-mode transfer case. It has both AWD (electric clutch pack) for street use, and mechanically-locked 4H/4L for extreme offroad reliability.

I think the 4A in older models was standard F150 torque-on-demand (electric clutch pack). In 4H/4L the electric clutches were engaged for 50:50 torque split, but not mechanically locked.

For Bronco, most sources indicate that the 4A mode is automatic mechanical switching between 4H/4L for some street benefit without compromising extreme offroad reliability. But it could actually be a torque-on-demand system, in which case reliability (burning up the clutch pack) becomes a potential concern for extreme offroad use unless they have done something to beef it up.

mrklas

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda HRV
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I always thought the difference between AWD and 4WD was the way power was split and and specifically AWD enabling power to be split for or aft and left or right while 4WD provides power to all wheels equally.

In either case, I'm a novice to off roading and experienced in road racing and sports cars so I'm used to AWD systems by Audi and Porsche where off roading is a level gravel parking areas.

NCOBX

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H2 Hummer, Holden Commodore
Your Bronco Model
Base
I always thought the difference between AWD and 4WD was the way power was split and and specifically AWD enabling power to be split for or aft and left or right while 4WD provides power to all wheels equally.

In either case, I'm a novice to off roading and experienced in road racing and sports cars so I'm used to AWD systems by Audi and Porsche where off roading is a level gravel parking areas.
We’re only talking truck based transfer case systems. Most of the car based systems are a waste of money they convince people to buy using fancy words. Very few car based systems are worth a dime. Some AWD Honda’s can get completely helplessly stuck with one wheel

As for the real deal BOF AWD systems,

AWD has been around a long time, Dodge power wagons used to use it, all Hummers used it, some Jeeps have/had it, 4Runners used to have it etc. Some high end RC cars have true AWD

The transfer case is always sending power to the front and rear axles, 60% of power goes to the front while 40% goes to rear, since front tires technically turn more when the steering wheel is turned.

With AWD the truck is going to modulate some free spin electronically but what’s important is that when you first take off you have all 4 powered. Most AWD trucks can leverage Brake Throttle Modulation to act as a poor mans locker where the brakes are held to prevent free spin. And keep sending power to the wheels that have traction.

4WD means you have 50:50 split meaning the front and rear axle are getting equal power and one axles traction cannot be overridden by the other axle having no traction. Both axles are spinning at the same speed.

With 4WD you can get stuck with 2 wheels spinning (one front, one rear) if you have open axles with no lockers or not LImited Slip positraction in the axles.

75% of people would be fine with just 4wd and a posi, another 24% would be fine with just a rear locker and 4wd.

Truly honestly unless you know how to use it most people don’t need a front locker.

I can do a better explanation, And I think I already did in this thread, this one was just rushed.

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I got a chance to drive a Ford F150 Raptor, and I gotta say....it’s pretty badass! I actually really like it! The payments are within my range and so I am kind of in a bind now as to whether I should get a Raptor or wait for the Bronco. I know they are two different vehicles and I love the Broncos styling. However, the Raptor is one hell of a truck!

If you had to choose between the two, what would you choose and why? (forget this is a Bronco forum)
For those who can't/won't wait, at $53,455.00 plus $1,695.00 destination and delivery, it might be a viable option.
Dealers are discounting $1,500.00 off MSRP if you shop around. Will haul your RTT and all the camping gear you can imagine. Love Ford products!

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? raptor3

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? raptor2

Ford Bronco Bronco or Raptor? raptor1

Sponsored

MJJ

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon, Jeep Wagoneer, Colorado ZR2
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The biggest difference comes down to size, towing and the ability to remove the top.

My garage is not big enough to hold the raptor. Living in the north, I don’t want to leave it outside in the elements all winter. That alone steers me towards the Bronco.

I already have vehicles that can tow 8,000 lbs so that box is checked.

I do want another vehicle that can go open air which is why I favor the Bronco.
If I had a bigger storage shed, I would have both vehicles.

I test drove one at Granger Ford a couple months back. They had a 19 & 20 with 5-6k discount off sticker. Not sure they still have them.

PaulW

Badlands
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72 EB, 06 Wrangler LJ, 18F150HD, 17 Honda CRV
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The first time you take a Raptor on a rock trail you will be removing the steps and replacing with rock rails. Raptor does not compare with a Bronco. Raptor too long and too low. So if you are a dedicated Moab guy then the truck wont do and the Bronco will be the choice. Cannot afford both then maybe you have to change your priorities.

zaki

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lexus LS 500;'94 Acura NSX;'13 Landcruiser
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Two very different vehicles.

Might as well ask 911 or Cayenne.

RRaptor

Badlands
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a 2019 Supercab, I am planning on getting a Warthog. If I could only have one it would be the Raptor.

Sponsored

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had a 2020 Raptor for 8 mos now and coming from a SuperDuty.. Meh, it’s “alright.” The ride is awesome but I honesty don’t see anything overly special about it..
Then you haven't really driven it... just saying

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’ve had a 2020 Raptor for 8 mos now and coming from a SuperDuty.. Meh, it’s “alright.” The ride is awesome but I honesty don’t see anything overly special about it..
Then you haven't really driven it... just saying
I got a chance to drive a Ford F150 Raptor, and I gotta say....it’s pretty badass! I actually really like it! The payments are within my range and so I am kind of in a bind now as to whether I should get a Raptor or wait for the Bronco. I know they are two different vehicles and I love the Broncos styling. However, the Raptor is one hell of a truck!

If you had to choose between the two, what would you choose and why? (forget this is a Bronco forum)
Both bro, don't be scared

crashmc2

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor, Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Unless you’re doing a bunch of upgrades such as fiberglass fenders, UCA's, tie-rods, bump stops, etc you arent doing 60+ on any dunes, fire roads or jumping anything but a parking lot speed bump or curb without tearing something up.
Did it in my Gen 1, had it airborne at 70 quite a few times. You're aware that Ford designed the Raptor to do exactly what he said, right?

MrOzMan

Wildtrak
First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Colorado
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Okay and? GM has done this exact same thing since 2002. It’s still not AWD by any stretch.

Does it have merit? Sure, in fact I have a lot of experience with auto 4wd, I also have a lot of experience with true 60/40 AWD. They both have their uses but functionally one is clearly proactive and the other is reactive.

Functionally speaking an AWD truck send the power to the front axle a split second before the rear axle.
Auto 4wd does not send power until slip is detected. Which means engine power must be retarted at that time if too much throttle is occurring.

Your analogy about being on a snowy road has an issue. If your driving along at 50MPH and your rear end starts slipping it’s already too late for your front end to save the day. That’s 99% in the tires.
I’m pretty sure the GM system in 2002 was the same in 4 Auto as 4 Hi, it just had the t-case act as a center diff to allow the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds when cornering. It wasn’t high tech by any means.

JimmyD

Badlands
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4/2019 Mustang Ecoboost
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I see everything special about it. Great looking truck
Sponsored